Yonex EZONE XP Hybrids Review Thread

I had to come back and look at this club again. I am really impressed this one. Love the shape of the head. The whole p package is snap. The shaft, grip, head cover, I like everything about this one. I just hope it performs as good as it looks. Hybrid is the one club that I am looking for this winter. This one is high on the list.

Worked in a little time with the XP hybrid during my practice session today. Felt really nice and saw some good numbers with it. Almost convinced myself to take it to California, but I just can't do it. Very tempting.

Had it set 1 click open.

The two-tone crown really frames the ball. Great alignment aid.

Sensing a bit of a higher pitch at impact. Nothing hollow sounding. Just a little ting.

For a guy that doesn't love the bigger fairway wood-ish hybrids, this one is pretty darn nice.

Distance was about what I'd expect. Actually seeing less spin than I saw from the SLDR, but of course - just one little look and not done testing by any means. Crazy how that works though.

It is indeed crazy how that works.

Couldn't agree more on the paint, it actually works really nice at address, I was surprised with the driver.

The Ezone I had in the bag for two years was special. I loved that hybrid, a lot. This looks better than the model I had.

It's a little different, but feels just as nice Freddie. A bit larger profile with this one.

Hawk, I seen in another thread you was contemplating what to take out west... Did this or the FW make the trip?

Hawk, I seen in another thread you was contemplating what to take out west... Did this or the FW make the trip?

no it didn't. With the competition aspect I just didn't feel comfortable taking brand new club.

Briefly worked on some testing with this one last night.

The whole club feels great. Love the balance and the shaft is really smooth. Higher pitched sound than anticipated at impact, but very solid feeling when you hit the ball square. Easy to notice a toe hit, so feedback is there.

Ball speeds were typical of a 3h for me. Not higher/lower than expected. Launch was right in the middle, but the spin is way down there for some reason. Like below 3k, which is very low even for me. Typical hybrid like this would be 3500-4500, depending on the club. As such, total distances were pretty good. Not sure if that's a good thing or not for me. Carry distance isn't affected a whole bunch, but it would be a tough one to keep on a green. Not that I'm hitting the green all that often from 3h territory, but still. Could be a good option off the tee.

This was with a Chrome+ by the way.

Seemed pretty forgiving. Toed a couple really well and didn't a big drop in ball speed from center contact. Pushed a bit, but hooked back in like I'd hope.

Will see what comes of the next session and let you all know.

Great info Hawk!

Back weighting in this remind you of the Boccieri hybrids?

Not really Cookie. The Boccieri feels heavy and this one does not. In fact, I'd go as far to say that if you hadn't told me it was CB'd I wouldn't have ever known. You know with the Boccieri stuff.

It sounds pretty good so far. I have no idea what my current hybrid spin numbers are or what potentially less spin would mean for me. I highly doubt I'd find one around here to hit so if I get one of these I'll be buying blind and going 90% on this review. Hawk, I know this is a lot of pressure...

It sounds pretty good so far. I have no idea what my current hybrid spin numbers are or what potentially less spin would mean for me. I highly doubt I'd find one around here to hit so if I get one of these I'll be buying blind and going 90% on this review. Hawk, I know this is a lot of pressure...

Lol. Don't you know I crumble under pressure!? For me, it basically means lower trajectory. Not low-low, but in comparison to others I've tested.

"Not that I'm hitting the green all that often from 3h territory, but still."

-made me laugh.

LOL. Just keeping it real!

Finished up testing with this one for now as well.

No clue how this is possible, but even with an R flex shaft, this one is the lowest spinning hybrid I think I've ever tested. Compared to the SLDR, which is supposed to be all about low spin with it's low-forward CG, the Yonex is way lower. The result there for me is ball that is coming off quite a bit lower in trajectory. I really have no answer for why that is, because everything logical tells me it should be a high flyer.

Ball speeds are pretty good with well struck balls. Not the best, but comparable.

Not the longest, but comparable to all but the longest.

Sound is pretty good.

Shaft feels good.

I don't really notice the counterbalancing.

I think those that like a big headed hybrid will enjoy it. To me, it's pretty large.

Pretty forgiving. 3-5mph ball speed lost on toed misses (depending on the severity). Comes out to 8-12 yards.

Interesting results, Hawk. I'm also somewhat stumped by the low spin numbers. My thoughts on a hybrid is that they launch the ball high and land it steep to hold greens and whatnot, while irons produced the lower ball flight with more roll out. I might be confused about that, but that was my impression anyway. Sounds like this is pretty middle of the road for you results-wise?

Just bought one of these suckers for a song. Anyone still play them?

Just bought one of these suckers for a song. Anyone still play them?

As they're hard to get hands on around here, probably not. I will say though I did get to spend some time with one of these and Hawk nailed the review, and it is honestly one of THE lowest spinning hybrids I have ever ever ever hit. It was crazy.

Thanks for for the reply. Got mine from Amazon. Since I got such a deal on it and just wanted to match my Yonex iron set, the tinkerer in me is thinking about reshafing it with a Nippon 950 4 iron pull that I have laying around. Hopefully the hosel it .370 like the pull I have

As they're hard to get hands on around here, probably not. I will say though I did get to spend some time with one of these and Hawk nailed the review, and it is honestly one of THE lowest spinning hybrids I have ever ever ever hit. It was crazy.

I wish Phil still played Yonex. As soon as he left the equipment took a turn for the worse. I wonder what happened. They had the $$$. Desperate for a top tennis player they basically offered Agassi a blank check and said fill in whatever amount you please.

IMO, they weren't super popular when Phil was playing but have managed to maintain a presence all these years. I think they have good gear just poor marketing.

I wish Phil still played Yonex. As soon as he left the equipment took a turn for the worse. I wonder what happened. They had the $$$. Desperate for a top tennis player they basically offered Agassi a blank check and said fill in whatever amount you please.
The equipment is still incredibly solid, nothing has changed there.

They had Ryo Ishikawa before he signed with Callaway. Didn't Monte' play with Yonex? Yonex can be had for a good deal these days. I have a set of WS-2 wedges in the way.

I've had 2 sets of irons. My current gamers are the I Ezone PBs. Beat out my Romaro V Type R's. I also had set of the Nano V forged. Just couldn't beat out my Fourteens I had at the time.

20150916_121431_zps8sx5fmla.jpg
20150918_194231_zpsb9oqz6ia.jpg

d9c4b8e6ef7994ac6d7b0b2ec2bbdce7_zps3fc2ba98.jpg

I'm looking to change the shaft on mine. Doe anyone know where I can get an adapter for it? What tip diameter do I need? Thanks

Back