TaylorMade Spider Blade Putter - Forum Review

Still waiting.... :confused2:

great video Kelly looks like you're rolling it pretty well in the video!. i'll def be giving it a few rolls in Orlando i am interested in the counter balancing of these.

I saw Kaymer practicing with one on the practice green today and he looked to be chocking down about two inches. Was rolling it well!

Siri speaks for me!

I shot an 85 (40,45) today. Our greens are getting better but are still healing from being punched.

My putting stats from today were as follows:

1 putts = 5
2 putts = 11
3 putts = 2 (2 long putts #12 & 18)
total putts = 33 (16,17)

I had an 8' birdie putt on #2 today. It was nice to sink one of those for a change.

I used a line on my ball and felt like every single one of my putts went exactly as aimed. I'm not the best at reading breaks or my numbers would be better. I barely missed several putts because I played a little too much or not quite enough break.

I like the balanced feel of this putter. My stroke feels much smoother with less waggling around. It's similar to how my belly putter stroke felt. Choking down on the larger grip seems to help take some of the wrist action out.

I shot an 85 (40,45) today. Our greens are getting better but are still healing from being punched.

My putting stats from today were as follows:

1 putts = 5
2 putts = 11
3 putts = 2 (2 long putts #12 & 18)
total putts = 33 (16,17)

I had an 8' birdie putt on #2 today. It was nice to sink one of those for a change.

I used a line on my ball and felt like every single one of my putts went exactly as aimed. I'm not the best at reading breaks or my numbers would be better. I barely missed several putts because I played a little too much or not quite enough break.

I like the balanced feel of this putter. My stroke feels much smoother with less waggling around. It's similar to how my belly putter stroke felt. Choking down on the larger grip seems to help take some of the wrist action out.

I have found similar success with the DLL and choking down on the grip. Naturally I tend to grip it too high, but when I focus on my setup and move my hands lower on the longer grip, I find that I dont get "wristy" at all with my stroke.

How's the flat stick been treating ya Kelly? Getting a better feel for it yet?

I love the balance of this putter. I tend to "wobble" around a lot with my other putters but this one seems so steady and holds the line well. I can't wait until our greens are back in shape so I can get a true look at its performance. I am very optimistic that it's going to be a great putter for me and for our fast greens.

This quote has my interest piqued, I tend to "wobble" a bit as well especially on those short just outside of tap in range type of putts. Might have to roll this somewhere.

This quote has my interest piqued, I tend to "wobble" a bit as well especially on those short just outside of tap in range type of putts. Might have to roll this somewhere.

Me too! I'm excited to give this putter a roll.

Sounds like a package was delivered today, hope to have in hand by Monday when Liz comes to visit and on course by Tuesday. Can't wait!

Sounds like a package was delivered today, hope to have in hand by Monday when Liz comes to visit and on course by Tuesday. Can't wait!

Nice! I'm jealous!!

Look what just showed up!
4a7ejuze.jpg

une5e8ag.jpg

8uqubuvy.jpg

egeva3e3.jpg

basedu9e.jpg

jenaqy9e.jpg

Looks great Jacob, glad it came!

Thanks buddy. I'm pretty excited to go try this bad boy out! If it doesn't storm this afternoon I'm going to go do just that!

Wow, great pics Jacob. That thing looks awesome!

Great pictures Jacob. That thing is gorgeous!

I'm back from the THP outing and thought I would update the thread about my weekend at the THP outing.

We had a little competition on Saturday at the Palmer Course at Reunion Resort. I had a bit of a rough start with my putter because I didn't take the time to practice enough on their greens before the round started. They were quite fast and I was blowing my putts by the hole and then I got a little too timid and started leaving them short. I shot a 45 on the front. My partner Buckjob picked up my frustrations with my putting and kept drilling me to be positive. By the time we made the turn, I was getting into a groove with the greens and my putter got hot. I made two birdies and almost dropped another long putt for birdie but it popped back out of the cup. I ended up shooting a 37 on the back!

The next day we played the Watson course and I ended up doing the same thing again. I had a 47 on the front and struggled with the speed of the greens. By the time I made the turn, my putter got hot again and I made two more birdies and ended up with a 40 on the back. I had a streak of 7 holes where I was -1 but I ended up in trouble in some bunkers so that hurt my score.

It was funny because I was playing with jjmorris on the first round who was also testing the Taylormade Daddy Long Legs putter. We both had a rough start adjusting to the speed of the greens but both ended up really hot with the putter on the back nine. We even birdied two of the same holes together if I'm not mistaken.

• I found that choking up substantially works best
  • The putter stroke is extremely stable. You won't feel it wobbling around like other putters.
  • The ball holds it's line great!
  • When I get disciplined and start putting in some practice time with this putter, I'm going to shoot some really low scores.

By the way, Buckjob and I won the THP competition round Saturday!

Great info Kelly and congrats to you and Buck!

I know it's a small detail, but the headcovers on this are killer looking, I love the red and black theme!

I know it's a small detail, but the headcovers on this are killer looking, I love the red and black theme!
Man, thats the first thing I thought when I opened the box. Storms are rolling in, looks like ill be confined to carpet putting tonight.

My sweety came down for a visit last night and brought this beauty to me to start the testing. I hope to get out tonight after work to begin, but here's a couple quick shots from the motel room.

eru9ama7.jpg

yqevabud.jpg

utanemuq.jpg

I still haven't found a place that has this in stock yet. Heading to a different shop later this week. It looks awesome and I can't wait to roll it.

Looks good Duey! I kinda feel like I'm cheating on my seemore.

Looks good Duey! I kinda feel like I'm cheating on my seemore.

Lol, I thought the same thing as I was opening the box.

This one just showed up, and I was able to snap some quick pictures to put up with my first impressions...

After having gamed the DLL for a few weeks, I was curious how switching to a blade would be, but I was pleansatly surprised to feel how stable this one feels in hand. The heavier head weight and the added weight in the shaft give it an incredibly solid feel through my entire putting stroke, and I cant help but think that the face will do nothing more than be square to my line at impact.

902512F4-orig_zps0ae69911.jpg

The Spider Blade is similar to other styles TaylorMade has produced over the years, but at the same time, completely different. Reading up on the Spider Blade, the design came to fruition due to the TM Tour Pros wanting a heel-toe weighted blade style putter that would offer them similar stability and forgiveness that they saw in the Spider line of putters, but in a different form factor. So, with that, they created the Spider Blade, and claim it as the most stable blade-style putter they have ever released.

Due to the multi-piece construction of the putter head of the Spider Blade, weight has been moved away from the center of the putter face, and distributed to the heel and the toe area of the putter, creating a more balanced feel with a high MOI. With the distrubution of the weight, this has allowed for increased forgiveness on mishits away from the center of the face, as well as helps reduce the twisting of the putter face at impact.

BDA15EF0-orig_zps737ca1ec.jpg

Just as in the DLL, TaylorMade has stuck with their "Pure Roll" insert. The Pure Roll insert has long been a favorite of mine, as it provides a smooth roll off the face of the putter, as well as giving you a soft feel off the face of the putter.

0CE52F96-orig_zps6a0cf473.jpg

The Spider Blade has the two-tone look of the white/black combination. The alignment aide on the back offers you an area the width of a ball to set up toward your target, as well as the white leading edge contrasting with the black of the cavity to make alignment simple on the greens.

600F6547-orig_zpscfc0a873.jpg

The grip. A huge focal point of the new released out of TaylorMade. The grip weights in at 130g, double that of a typical putter grip, to offer a nice counter balance to the head of the putter. TaylorMade claims that this counter balance offers 50% more stability to your putting stroke, and keeps the head smoothly on your path.

47F9D421-orig_zps9ffd0479.jpg

Pretty sweet headcover ties in the package quite nicely.

I am playing this one at 35", rather than the longer 38". Having played a blade style putter in the past at the same length, I am really looking to see what kind of difference the counter balance weighting can have for me on the green.

Solid job, WE, lots of great info. Hope to hear how you are draining everything you look at very soon.

Back