Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

I have a W2 but I'm not using it. I prefer the J40 wedge in that spot personally.

I am more in love with sticks ever time I play them. are so solid and have the best feel of any casted club I have hit. The beef I have with them is I tend to hit ap1.s a touch heavy in wet conditions my swing fault, just have to pick them cleaner, but give me some tight firmer fairways..ohh baby luv em .. like throwing darts especially the short irons.

I continue to love the performance of these irons. Effortless distance without sacrificing too much control. Lower spin penetrating flights that land soft enough due to a high trajectory.
The pairing I have with the Dyanalite Gold in Reg flex just really works for me.

As impressed as I am with the performance Im equally unimpressed with the finish and how it wears ugly and quickly. My forged DPCs look much nicer after 1.5 years than these loom after 3-4 months.

I love love love these irons. These are my first irons that I got fitted for and what a world of difference that makes. At first I balked at buying the TT DG SL in stiff because of the up charge but I'm so glad I did. First off my iron game is precise. It's like point and shoot.

Im getting more distance than my burner 2.0 a more pleasing ball flight and although the flight is lower when the ball it's the green it hits and sticks. I have had more close birdie chances in the past 3 rounds than my last 10 combined. There is nothing worst than hitting a great shot from the fairway. Walking up to the green seeing your divot less than 3-4 yards from the pin and then your ball 10 yards past the pin. First I figured it was the ball but I tested 4 different balls all pretty much the same. I'm so impressed with my fitting I'm going to get a driver/fw/hybrid fitting next.

I love love love these irons. These are my first irons that I got fitted for and what a world of difference that makes. At first I balked at buying the TT DG SL in stiff because of the up charge but I'm so glad I did. First off my iron game is precise. It's like point and shoot.

Im getting more distance than my burner 2.0 a more pleasing ball flight and although the flight is lower when the ball it's the green it hits and sticks. I have had more close birdie chances in the past 3 rounds than my last 10 combined. There is nothing worst than hitting a great shot from the fairway. Walking up to the green seeing your divot less than 3-4 yards from the pin and then your ball 10 yards past the pin. First I figured it was the ball but I tested 4 different balls all pretty much the same. I'm so impressed with my fitting I'm going to get a driver/fw/hybrid fitting next.
Yeah its amazing what a good fitting can do. My AP1s are 2* flat and 1/4" short and I'm much more accurate than before. Nice square divots instead of the old triangles I used to leave.

Yeah its amazing what a good fitting can do. My AP1s are 2* flat and 1/4" short and I'm much more accurate than before. Nice square divots instead of the old triangles I used to leave.
I'm trying to temper expectations but I just received my first set if new irons. I'm hoping the quality, and mainly bc I've been fitted (+1/2", 2* upright) makes a difference.

I imagine there is going to be an adjustment period. I didn't initially think 1/2" could make much of a difference, but holding the clubs yesterday (I didn't get to hit them), it definitely feels different. I'm not bending forward as much, and bc of that, it feels like I'm not all the way in position.

I'm trying to temper expectations but I just received my first set if new irons. I'm hoping the quality, and mainly bc I've been fitted (+1/2", 2* upright) makes a difference.

I imagine there is going to be an adjustment period. I didn't initially think 1/2" could make much of a difference, but holding the clubs yesterday (I didn't get to hit them), it definitely feels different. I'm not bending forward as much, and bc of that, it feels like I'm not all the way in position.
Assuming you were fit properly there should be no adjustment period. Just swing your normal swing and let the clubs do the rest.

An interesting part of my fitting was the iron shafts. The Dynalite XP R300 gave me near identical numbers to the PXi 6.0 and the KBS Tour R but were much cheaper. Going with R instead of S has helped me hoist the ball up to gain distance and hold greens at the same time.

Last edited:
As a quick follow up I'm really happy with these irons and despite all the amazing, shiny new irons on the market I won't be changing anytime soon.
These offer me the look, flight, distance, and forgiveness I'm after and all in a package that just looks 'right' to me at address. The size of the sole is perfect for me as well...large-ish without being chunky.

As a quick follow up I'm really happy with these irons and despite all the amazing, shiny new irons on the market I won't be changing anytime soon.
These offer me the look, flight, distance, and forgiveness I'm after and all in a package that just looks 'right' to me at address. The size of the sole is perfect for me as well...large-ish without being chunky.

You're Sir are smart and I approve this message.

How do you like the GW?

Don't use the 50 degree RTX as much as I use to on full shots, but feel like if I replaced it with AP1 or AP2 50 degree that I might use it a bit more often?

You're Sir are smart and I approve this message.

How do you like the GW?

Don't use the 50 degree RTX as much as I use to on full shots, but feel like if I replaced it with AP1 or AP2 50 degree that I might use it a bit more often?
Its funny you ask because at first I struggled with both the 48 and 52 wedges.
Due to the wet conditions I play in most of the year I wanted to figure these wedges out. I stuck with them and we seem to have learned how to work with each other haha. I do sacrifice some versatility and precision for ease of use and distance but it's getting better and better.

Its funny you ask because at first I struggled with both the 48 and 52 wedges.
Due to the wet conditions I play in most of the year I wanted to figure these wedges out. I stuck with them and we seem to have learned how to work with each other haha. I do sacrifice some versatility and precision for ease of use and distance but it's getting better and better.

Thanks for the response, even during a good hockey game haha

Have to see come spring. Might get weird and add a AP2 W in that spot, but I hate stuff looking out of place.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I continue to love the irons, but I do have some gap problems with the aggressive lofting / extra wedge. Given my ball striking abilities, I expanded the ranges a bit to reflect actual playing ranges.

Pitching wedge (44*) - 130-140
GW (48*) - 125-130

Then I have:

52* Vokey SM4 - 100-110
56* Vokey SM4 - 80-90

Now, this isn't using a laser at the range or anything, just my impressions since buying them. I have to choke down the 48* and ease up to hit it 115 or 120. No way I can get my 52 there.

I've thought of getting the GW2 52* and maybe that would help...open to ideas.

I took the 48 out and added my old 52 vokey. That extra wedge was taking a spot in the bag i needed for my hybrid. I find the 44PW long and easy to hit to the point i feel comfortable choking down on it and hitting the distance i would with the 48. I tend to want more spin with the gap wedge so the vokey works better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have 4 rounds with these now and love them. Still trying to get my distances down. I keep airmailing greens.

Looking heavily at these irons. People still loving them? I know the next release won't be until November 2015, and not sure I want to wait another full season if I'm going to pull the trigger.

I am definitely still loving these irons. After almost a full season with them, I have no plans to look elsewhere.

Would obviously recommend hitting them first if possible but they are solid.

I am having gapping issues too. Right now I have 5-pw, gw 48, gw 52. All set then I went with a 58 degree sm5 vokey. But I decided earlier this week to drop my 5 iron from the bag and go with a 56 sm5 vokey and 60 degree vokey. I rarely use my 5 iron because I hit my 5 hybrid so well.

I'm still loving these irons. I have no plans or desires to try anything else.

I have resolved all my gapping issues by keeping the 52 set wedge and then going to 56,60

I will add that the ONLY thing that I dislike about these is how quickly and how poorly they show wear. I really take care of my clubs and after 6 months these don't look like they've been babied even though they have.

If you shank a ball with a full swing it will leave a mark on the hosel for all time - sucky.

I will add that the ONLY thing that I dislike about these is how quickly and how poorly they show wear. I really take care of my clubs and after 6 months these don't look like they've been babied even though they have.

If you shank a ball with a full swing it will leave a mark on the hosel for all time - sucky.

I was really surprised with the finish on these. Being what they are, I expected an incredibly durable type of finish, but you are about the 10th person that has said this very thing.

LOL at the permanent shank mark of shame. Yea the finish just wears ugly. Mainly on the face. Sole and cavity look fine.

Looking heavily at these irons. People still loving them? I know the next release won't be until November 2015, and not sure I want to wait another full season if I'm going to pull the trigger.

I put them in the bag again recently. Mainly because they aren't bent way upright like my 545's. Remembered why I liked them so much, though based on looks and feel the 545's will be back once I get around to having lie angles checked and adjusted. Not that these don't feel or look good, but the 545's are sort of on a different level in general. They eclipse pretty much everything in class for me.

I put them in the bag again recently. Mainly because they aren't bent way upright like my 545's. Remembered why I liked them so much, though based on looks and feel the 545's will be back once I get around to having lie angles checked and adjusted. Not that these don't feel or look good, but the 545's are sort of on a different level in general. They eclipse pretty much everything in class for me.

Those and the Apex to me are just in a different class. So solid in every aspect.

I was really surprised with the finish on these. Being what they are, I expected an incredibly durable type of finish, but you are about the 10th person that has said this very thing.
Yeah it surprised me too. These are the first set I've owned that weren't chrome or satin and the finish has been a disappointment for me.

LOL at the permanent shank mark of shame. Yea the finish just wears ugly. Mainly on the face. Sole and cavity look fine.

True, somehow the sole doesn't wear at all but if you sneeze on the face it will show.

Thank goodness these things are long, straight, and launch like a jet.

Yea the 545's are the set I feel like I don't have to settle on anything with. Gotta love that.

That said, these have some big positives as well and it'll come down to preference on some of them. The performance side is certainly there.

Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

Ive had these for 8 months now, upgraded from TM r11s, i feel they might not be as long as the r11s but definitely more forgiven.

The look though, i had the. R11s for 2 years and i sold them barely mint, i changed the grips and they were perfect. These AP1s look like they have several seasons in.

Then again, i hit them straight... Thats good for me.

Anybody knows if the AP2s have the same issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back