Golf Channel's Relaxed Rules #GolfIsFun

Miller Time

Twitter - @joshmlr
Reaction score
Handicap
Has Been
Saw this on Twitter and thought it was neat. Golf Channel is tweeting out 'relaxed rules' that they think will make the game more fun. I honestly already follow most of these rules, with the exception of the penalties, but I think I might start doing that one as well. Does anyone else already follow these 'relaxed rules'?

Prepare yourself.

high_horse_0.preview.jpg

Prepare yourself.

high_horse_0.preview.jpg

That there is a good plowing mule! You get more plowing done per row..:bomb:

I personally think it's a cool way to have fun. Kind of like my good shot game because after all, when you're not playing tournament golf, not betting ya broski's, and just out for a fun day with ya home boys, why not relax a bit. Life is short :thumb: You traditional folks go stick ya heads in a bag and blow hard because I know you will be having a hissy about this thread.

watched Morning driver this morning. The piece they showed with Rymer showing the relaxed rules was pretty funny.

I have nothing against these rules if everyone I'm playing with wants to use them, too. It's not like we are in a tournament. My only * to this is that this not be used while trying to establish a handicap, or for a handicapped round. Other than that, have FUN!

I have nothing against these rules if everyone I'm playing with wants to use them, too. It's not like we are in a tournament. My only * to this is that this not be used while trying to establish a handicap, or for a handicapped round. Other than that, have FUN!

+1 on the use of the round for hdcp

1. MAXIMUM SCORE: Double par (i.e. 6 on par 3s, 8 on par 4s….)

* Sure. Save some time and OK for handicap.

2. PENALTIES: All are one stroke, including out of bounds, water and lateral hazards, lost ball and unplayable lie. Drop a ball near where the original was lost and play on.

* Why not "No Penalty"? Why not an extra penalty if you are not going back to the "proper spot"? Is the objective to speed up play or just lower scores?

3. SEARCH TIME: Two minutes to look for your ball. If lost, proceed under Rule 2.

* I want my $5 ProV1. Don't tell me to quit after 2 minutes. Unless "you" want to replace all balls abandoned.

4. UNFORTUNATE LIES: With your playing partners’ consent, balls may be dropped out of divots or footprints, away from tree roots and any other dangerous lies.

* Non-tournament preferred lies - sure. No one replaces my broken clubs or pays my medical and I don't play on tournament-ready courses.

5. CONCEDED PUTTS: Putts may be conceded with your playing partners’ consent.

* Sure. We do it in match play. It will help with my "vanity handicap".

6. EQUIPMENT: No restrictions, including number of clubs.

* Shaved club faces; fly-straight balls? Shades of Rodney in Caddyshack. Can I use a "hand-mashie" from the sand?

7. COMMON SENSE: When in doubt, use common sense and fairness.

* There has been limited common sense in some of the proposed rules (IMHO); why start now?

1. I'd go triple.
2. That's fine
3. Fine except for the average Joe trying to improve, maybe buys a sleeve of slightly more expensive balls. After a while that adds up if you're not on sponsorship.
4. Maybe only when possible club damage is eminent?
5. Sure
6. Sure
7. Doesn't exist

You can record gimmie putts in match play towards your handicap rounds. You can also write down what you think you would have scored on a hole and just not play it for handicap rounds, and you can just play the same 9 over and over as well. The 4 mentioned relaxed rules probably won't affect a persons handicap that much to be honest. If anything it will artificially lower it (which helps you).

Most people who match play me think I sand bag because I play better than cap in match play. They just don't realize my handicap is from majority stroke play where I count every "oscillation" of the ball so my cap is legit.

3. SEARCH TIME: Two minutes to look for your ball. If lost, proceed under Rule 2.

* I want my $5 ProV1. Don't tell me to quit after 2 minutes. Unless "you" want to replace all balls abandoned.
Please don't take this personally as it's just a general statement, but what frustrates me is the person that worries about losing a $5 ball, yet puts a dozen into the water, woods, weeds, etc. It's one thing to lose a ball or two every round, but if you are losing a half dozen balls or more and concerned about finding them, maybe play a different, less expensive ball.

Please don't take this personally as it's just a general statement, but what frustrates me is the person that worries about losing a $5 ball, yet puts a dozen into the water, woods, weeds, etc. It's one thing to lose a ball or two every round, but if you are losing a half dozen balls or more and concerned about finding them, maybe play a different, less expensive ball.

If you lose a 1/2 dozen or more every round and still hitting pro v1 your decision making is highly questionable. In fact when I lose my 2nd ball; I typically go back to my cheap balls bc it's going to be "one of those days" lol

7. COMMON SENSE: When in doubt, use common sense and fairness.

* There has been limited common sense in some of the proposed rules (IMHO); why start now?

Common sense: don't play a ball so expensive that it's going to bother you if you lose one. Not everyone in the group you're playing with and are playing behind you should have to suffer waiting while someone spends too much time looking for a ball.

watched Morning driver this morning. The piece they showed with Rymer showing the relaxed rules was pretty funny.

He is good and makes it funny.

We do all those in our casual rounds with friends.
We also allow a mulligan off the first tee if you hit a bad one.

The golf channel is having an event surrounding this theme at Championsgate in Orlando today. Really miss being down there with a great group for #TheKing

I think some of these are a necessity to speed up play. Specifically the triple bogey max or double par max. That keeps your buddies from posting a 12 and taking 3 times as long to finish a hole.

I don't mind anyone playing golf however they want to play it when they are playing for fun. It all changes when you play for money or trophies.

Back