Loft or Face Angle

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Which adjustability do you use more (if any) on your driver?

when I was dialing in my BC+ it was all about loft for me. Any draw setting typically gives me an instant case of the lefts.

However, I'm at 9.5 degrees now and have no plans to change it.

Since most face angle settings only go to draw, I tend to only adjust the loft, as long as that adjustment doesn't affect face angle too much

Loft is what I change if tinkering.

Loft, by far, but then I settle on what I think is the best launch and the wrench hardly ever leaves the bag.

I have tinkered with both, but settled on the D +2 setting on the BB 815. Not to get off topic, but does loft actually effect distance very much for a average person?

I have tinkered with both, but settled on the D +2 setting on the BB 815. Not to get off topic, but does loft actually effect distance very much for a average person?

Carry distance, yes quite a bit by getting the right launch conditions.

I play my driver stock, but (outside of a few models), aren't loft and face angle connected? Change one, change the other?

I do both, draw +1

Have experimented with loft changes a little but always go back to standard. Putting a draw setting on my driver my cause the ball to boomerang back and hit me...haha.

Loft. I understand that most of the time changing the loft also changes the face angle, though.

Loft for sure

Loft for me, I keep the face set on draw.

+2, Standard on my Driver
-1, Draw on my 14 Deg
+2, Draw on my 16 Deg.

Loft only, and I haven't changed it since I first dialed it in. For my last driver purchase I specifically didn't get one that had a multitude of adjustments because I'd be tinkering with it all the time and questioning my adjustments if I didn't pure it every time.

I gotta say both. My driver is adjusted from stock with both loft and face angle.

Really don't adjust either much... and generally, if you adjust face angle, you adjust loft.

Face angle. I can buy a driver at 8/9, but it's tough to find drivers that have open face angles.

I would normally experiment with loft changes , +/-1, but always go back to standard, which seems to work best for me. Normally its my swing that needs adjusting!

Loft. The Bertha has that slider and I might mess with that some. Honestly, I haven't moved either all season.

Both. The old RFX has O/S/C with +/- Now I'm playing O+ So it's slightly closed to a full open face. S was way closed all of a sudden to me.

Well, my loft is standard and the lie is slight draw. So I guess lie angle. But I'm also the kind of guy that sets it once and will probably never change it again.

~Rock

My Cleveland forces you to adjust both. The loft is what I use and then try to open or close the face, to compensate. This may negate any loft changes, though.

My next driver will have separate settings.
Jack

Both with my G30. You can't change one without changing the other I believe. At this point in time I'm one up and one closed if I'm not mistaken.

I bought my first adjustable driver - a Ping i25 at 8.5 degrees that only had the ability to vary loft. I only played one round with it and put it back on eBay.

I would like to tinker with the face angle on an adjustable driver though. I had an old Ping laminated 4-wood in high school that had a closed face. I could put a good fade swing on it and it would fly dead straight!

Back