Ribbed/Reminder grips? Anyone?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Picked up 10 ribbed UTx today out of curiosity, I've always wanted to try them, but you never really hear much about them.

Anyone here use or ever use the ribbed/reminder grips? If so why/why-not?

Dumb question, but what do you mean by ribbed/reminder(UTx wraps?)

I had them on a set of Yamaha woods a long long time ago. I didn't mind them though given the choice I wouldn't buy them because I install my own grips and you need to be exact when you put them on.

I have been waiting on a deal to buy the ribbed UTx grips. Miss ribbed grips immensely.

• Staff
Dumb question, but what do you mean by ribbed/reminder(UTx wraps?)

Here ya go Mike, Lamkin's explanation
Some models of Lamkin Grips are available in either round or ribbed models. A ribbed golf grip has a small ridge that runs the length of the inside of the grip. When the golf grip is installed there is a pronounced rib or "reminder" down the underside of the grip. The rib is sometimes referred to as a "reminder" because it reminds the golfer where to properly set his hands and fingers on the club. All of Lamkin’s ribbed golf grips are USGA compliant.

Pretty much all grips used to be ribbed and have reminders until the rubber wraps started coming out, now they're really kinda like bigfoot out there it seems.

I have been waiting on a deal to buy the ribbed UTx grips. Miss ribbed grips immensely.

Do it now. BOGO!

Here ya go Mike, Lamkin's explanation

Pretty much all grips used to be ribbed and have reminders until the rubber wraps started coming out, now they're really kinda like bigfoot out there it seems.

Do it now. BOGO!

I learned something today. Very interesting

I have, not on purpose though. I actually thought the shaft was bent a little because I could feel the ridge in the hands.

i have not used any in the past but on the SS grip on my new Odyssey works putter has the reminder on the backside. my fitter and i were talking about it yesterday and how much we both enjoy that on the grip.

Up until my last couple of re-grips (or, ahem, new iron sets, ahem...), I used the ribbed grips almost exclusively. A number of the Ping standard grips used to be ribbed, I think (do not insert jokes here), so maybe that's why I started with them and stayed with them for several years.

Stock grips on the Rocketbladez i test were ribbed. Never noticed it until I noticed it... and then once I did I couldn't help but notice it every time I gripped the club and had to switch grips.

Not a fan. Funny thing was, it was probably a good 2-3 months (once the weather warmed up) before I noticed .

When you start to get into clubs you like to open or close the face I find them to be uncomfortable and awkward.

Picked up 10 ribbed UTx today out of curiosity, I've always wanted to try them, but you never really hear much about them.

I use them on my irons exclusively. I really enjoy the ridge sitting in my fingers and I think it offers me a little more control honestly. my favorites are the GP Velvet victory ribbed but they quit making a ribbed victory. I want some bad lol.

I heard in the old days they would cut the straight part on the bottom of a coat hanger and slide it in the grips when they were changing them, I think Hogan and Snead did it.

Other than the one GP BCT cord ribbed grip I bought by mistake about 5 years ago, have used only round for the last 10 or so years. I think ribbed was all that existed 35 years ago when I started playing.

I haven't ever used them, but might find the reminder a nice thing to have, grip the same each and every time, not a bad thing! Unless it's a bad grip to start that is.

I used to use them. Very good for having the hands in the same place. Takes some getting used to with touch shots

I've notice some of the stock callaway grips have the rib. It's nice but nothing I need to have.

I've used ribbed grips for 35 years.They are much less common today but I can't stand the feel of a round grip in my hands,it just doesn't feel right.My favourite all time grip was the Golf Pride V55 full cord ribbed,sadly discontinued.

Like Mike, I also learning something today. *off to check if any of my grips are "ribbed."*

I use them on my irons exclusively. I really enjoy the ridge sitting in my fingers and I think it offers me a little more control honestly. my favorites are the GP Velvet victory ribbed but they quit making a ribbed victory. I want some bad lol.

I heard in the old days they would cut the straight part on the bottom of a coat hanger and slide it in the grips when they were changing them, I think Hogan and Snead did it.

Hogan for sure did.

I just noticed there's a ribbed MCC as an option. Ponder mode activated.

I just picked up a set of old Muirfields. They gave ribbed victory grips on them. I'm thinking about putting on my newer clubs.

When I bought my sand wedge, it came with a ribbed GP Tour Velvet Nike Grip on it. I actually didn't realize til reading this thread that was the case. I sent it back because it felt like the shaft had a ridge running right under my hands. Now that I know it was probably just the grip I should have kept that one. It had a MR Fubuki shaft, and the replacement they sent me has an AXIVCore by UST Mamiya.

I didn't know they still made ribbed grips. I gotta get these next year when buy new grips.

I have always thought about using them. It does seem like an opportunity to eliminate a variable. I read that Ben Hogan used to make his own by placing a piece of metal wire along the shaft before wrapping grips.

My buddy has them on all of his clubs and everything I fool with them I think to myself that it makes a lot of sense. I am just to cheap to buy new grips for that purpose.

I've got the utx in my irons. Really like them and it's a nice reminder of where to keep my hands.

If I have a choice I always use a reminder grip. Unfortunately it seems they are going the same way as the one handed back-hand. I think I use a round grip just as well but for some reason the reminder is just that little extra comfort. If I'm not mistaken, in my heyday I was using Tour Velvet Cords with reminders.

Back