The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy how much healthcare costs can vary from one company to the next.

Crazy how much healthcare costs can vary from one company to the next.

When my wife lost her job 2 years ago I went from paying $40 a check for just me per pay period to $275 per pay period. Then we had Anabelle and it went up to $360 a pay period. My wife got a state job and put all 3 of us on her insurance with lower deductibles, $15 co-pay regardless of who we see with no referrals, and 3 dollar prescription drugs for $70 a pay period. Makes no sense whatsoever.

vs insurance companies or vs providers?
Just employee premium costs. Going from a smaller company to one like 15x larger and my premiums will go up $125 per pay check for basically the same insurance, through the same insurance company. (Well hopefully going to the bigger company, will be negotiating salary with this new information).

Just employee premium costs. Going from a smaller company to one like 15x larger and my premiums will go up $125 per pay check for basically the same insurance, through the same insurance company. (Well hopefully going to the bigger company, will be negotiating salary with this new information).
Yeah it is pretty crazy. I went from an 8000 person firm down to a 500 person firm and the new company pays all of the insurance premiums. Just something they have always done. Quite a perk.

When my wife lost her job 2 years ago I went from paying $40 a check for just me per pay period to $275 per pay period. Then we had Anabelle and it went up to $360 a pay period. My wife got a state job and put all 3 of us on her insurance with lower deductibles, $15 co-pay regardless of who we see with no referrals, and 3 dollar prescription drugs for $70 a pay period. Makes no sense whatsoever.

To be fair, someone was still paying your portion of the healthcare costs, it just happened to be your employer.
Right now we are seeing what happens with the plan as it was implemented. If you want a chuckle, google Harvard Obamacare. Apparently someone thought they were exempt.

vs insurance companies or vs providers?
PS check your PMs :D
Yeah that's pretty crazy, doesn't make sense. Guess a lot probably depends on how much each company is willing to pay.

Yeah it is pretty crazy. I went from an 8000 person firm down to a 500 person firm and the new company pays all of the insurance premiums. Just something they have always done. Quite a perk.
Nice!!

To be fair, someone was still paying your portion of the healthcare costs, it just happened to be your employer.
Right now we are seeing what happens with the plan as it was implemented. If you want a chuckle, google Harvard Obamacare. Apparently someone thought they were exempt.

HAHA oh wow. Oops

we have gone through major changes with healthcare this year as a result of the new law. so far the company has kept increases to a minimum but as large at A&T is i don't know if that will keep up.

A buddy of mine who owns his own company stopped paying for everyone's insurance 2 years ago as a result of ACA.

It gets better... Boston business journal posted a story a couple weeks back about all the local health insurance companies going from millions in operating profit to millions in the red in one year because of ACA. It's pretty scary stuff.

It gets better... Boston business journal posted a story a couple weeks back about all the local health insurance companies going from millions in operating profit to millions in the red in one year because of ACA. It's pretty scary stuff.
I read that. Nothing to fear that is just big business being greedy. Hahahahaha.

I am so fricking pleased right now on how well it's working and am oddly looking forward to the next couple days as it will be colder and i wanna see how it does as we approach 0* and even negative.

Interesting gFF. Keep us posted on how it performs through a season of cold days.

I attended a consultant presentation on ACA a couple of years ago focused on ACA's impact on the industry and where vendors to healthcare and gov agencies would see spending shift. It was all about doing business, not about ACA being good or bad.

It came out in the presentation that there were 19 pilot regions hand-picked to test ACA. Of the 19, 3 broke even, 16 showed a negative financial impact on healthcare, the economy and government. That was kept a secret. Estimation was that small businesses would stop offering benefits, or go bust, 30% of hospital systems would go bankrupt and an unestimatable number of healthcare providers would exit patient care.

Cost to government would increase not decrease slightly at first and then very severely when govt decided to add aid for all of those who can't afford to enroll, or pay the penalties.

It was considered a disaster that wouldn't be understood by the masses for years, but unstoppable because facts were so vague, and it was made such a political issue that no democrat could oppose it even if they wanted to.

Hoping it's not such a disaster, but it's hard to tell still.

So after a 4 hour commute this morning. I'm thinking I've settled the anger down enough to try to get home. Oh how I love this area! Love it!

So after a 4 hour commute this morning. I'm thinking I've settled the anger down enough to try to get home. Oh how I love this area! Love it!

I hear ya Kevin. I can do my current job from anywhere, wish Michelle's was the same, after this morning she might have agreed to start looking in Florida :)

SaA

I hear ya Kevin. I can do my current job from anywhere, wish Michelle's was the same, after this morning she might have agreed to start looking in Florida :)

SaA

totally crazy today. i am amazed at how bad people drive in "bad" conditions. around here seems like rain and snow freak people out. then my wife texts me this morning that she bumped into the curb by the house. she said it wasn't bad but i can only imagine. can't wait to get the details later today on what happened.

Yeah what a mess it really was. VDOT definitely dropped the ball today. Hope everyone made it to and from where they had to be safely.

totally crazy today. i am amazed at how bad people drive in "bad" conditions. around here seems like rain and snow freak people out. then my wife texts me this morning that she bumped into the curb by the house. she said it wasn't bad but i can only imagine. can't wait to get the details later today on what happened.

A lady at work daughter did the same thing this morning (ran into a curb) but she suffered a blow out.

The bad part is she had just turned around to go home, because the roads were so bad.

My boss knowing I have a long drive sent me an email saying I could leave after my 2:00 consultation.

That was very nice and unexpected.

The Official Banter Away Thread

Yeah what a mess it really was. VDOT definitely dropped the ball today. Hope everyone made it to and from where they had to be safely.

Made it safe. But I don't often get rattled by snow, but this mornings road conditions had my full attention.

My 1:30 commute wasn't as bad as Kevin's and others. But I left at 6:00 (my normal time) I imagine it would have been much longer if I left later.

Did any of the DFW'ers feel that earthquake?

I'm never shocked at how poorly people drive when it snows, not one bit. The idiots kept me busy today though and a decent payday.

Made it safe. But I don't often get rattled by snow, but this mornings road conditions had my full attention.

My 1:30 commute wasn't as bad as Kevin's and others. But I left at 6:00 (my normal time) I imagine it would have been much longer if I left later.

I left at 6:15 but crossing the river to Alexandria is rough on good weather days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back