Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball Review Thread

Have played a few holes with the Chrome Soft, have hit a number of shots at a local golf shop on their launch monitor with a 7 iron, and have spent a few hours in short game practice areas with this ball. Seems like a very good golf ball to me. I have been playing the B330-RXS mostly recently. Really like the feel off the irons and wedges. Soft but not too soft. Around the greens it has a slightly higher launch on 20-30 yard pitch shots than a Pro V1 class ball, and with what appears to be good spin (the greens around here are pretty soft right now for the most part). I got to compare the Wilson FG Tour and Chrome Soft with that 7 iron on a launch monitor and the results between the two seemed pretty darn close. I like the Chrome Soft better though, and part of that is because the FG Tour discolors pretty quickly and seems less durable. I have only played just a few holes with the Chrome Soft and like it very well so far. No doubt some folks who have been using the higher priced golf balls will be converting to the Chrome Soft.

Tough to get a good feel from yhe Chrome Soft today. 50 degree and no golf since early December means an inconsistent game. However the ball felt soft and distance was nice (although frozen ground meant big bounces). Looking forward to more rounds though

If all my starts were as good as the past few days I would only play the CS. Eagle on number 1 yesterday and birdie on number 1 today. Im' glad I purchased a dozen just to give them a run over the next few weeks. Still playing the same ball I started with yesterday and it almost looks like it just came out of the box so the Callaway CS gets an A+ for durability. Distance for me is similar to other top tier balls. I have not experienced the ball playing a club farther on irons or it being 10 or more yards longer off the driver. May be due to the temps being below 50 but I doubt it because ProV1X, Z Stars, Nike RZN Black and Chrome+ all within just a few yards of each other off the driver for me and I don't make any adjustments in my iron play for any of those balls.

The CS does seem to have more spin so far than anything else I play other than the ProV1 which I only play on the fastest, firmest greens during the summer season. I don't play the ProV1 on a regular basis due to it having too much spin. Haven't see "too much" spin yet with the CS but have had several shots back up by 2 or 3 yards on the greens in the past few days. Our greens are pretty damp right now so it will be interesting to see if the spin is reduced once they dry out.

The CS seems to be a top notch ball but so far doesn't provide any advantages over any other ball I would put in play. I will continue testing the ball but at this time I would say that if I can purchase the Chrome+ for $6.00 less a dozen then I'm playing the Chrome+.

Played one all 18 holes today. Same ball and not one scuff mark. Very well made and boy do they spin.. Just wow. New gamer for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played 15 holes with it today, very impressed by its feel and performance. The right amount of spin when needed, soft feel with putting and around the green and some impressive flight

Played 36 holes over the last two days. I like the ball off the driver and hybrids. Solid feel. I do not like the feel off my irons and putter. No feedback whatsoever when hitting with the irons. Just a thud. I could probably get used to it, but I enjoy the sound and feel I get with the proV1's.

I will still till use the ball though, it's not a bad ball, just don't like the neutral feeling. I do like the yellow color!

Played one all 18 holes today. Same ball and not one scuff mark. Very well made and boy do they spin.. Just wow. New gamer for sure!

Glad they worked so well for you today.
I passed out quite a few of these to the guys in my group. I think there was some eye opening going on.
I played these for about 6 holes today and enjoyed them. Need to get them on a course that I'm familiar with before really giving any thoughts on these. But I will say that I enjoyed the time I spent with them today.

Glad they worked so well for you today.
I passed out quite a few of these to the guys in my group. I think there was some eye opening going on.
I played these for about 6 holes today and enjoyed them. Need to get them on a course that I'm familiar with before really giving any thoughts on these. But I will say that I enjoyed the time I spent with them today.

Yeah man. They were checking up very nicely. I saw Mojo spin em back multiple times and he says that's not his game. It was really fun to watch.

Didn't play with them myself but my golf partners did Mojo & Springs. I was very impressed with the spin off of irons & greenside play.

Come on New Zealand shops release these already. :D

Played 36 holes over the last two days. I like the ball off the driver and hybrids. Solid feel. I do not like the feel off my irons and putter. No feedback whatsoever when hitting with the irons. Just a thud. I could probably get used to it, but I enjoy the sound and feel I get with the proV1's.

I will still till use the ball though, it's not a bad ball, just don't like the neutral feeling. I do like the yellow color!

From my somewhat limited experience on the course with these golf balls, it did feel pretty soft off the irons compared to the golf balls I normally use, such as the B330RXS, Pro V1, Srixon Zstar and etc. That will take a little getting used to and might vary somewhat depending on the type of irons used. I think it will be fairly easy getting used to, but unfortunately I have to use up a lot of firmer golf balls and still try to use the Chrome Soft on some courses. Should probably be able to cope with it fairly well.

i played 18 with the Chrome Soft yesterday and will play another 18 today. So far my reaction is the only difference I've seen between the Chrome + and the Chrome Soft is some added spin on short irons. Distance is the same, feel is marginally better (meaning I have to focus on feel to differentiate a difference) and durability is a slight step back.

Our greens were running at a 13.5 yesterday so the spin will be interesting to see in more normal conditions (10.5/11).

Im surprised you are seeing a step back in durability. That is one area where in my testing and those at #TheGrandaddy we really came out quite impressed.

i played 18 with the Chrome Soft yesterday and will play another 18 today. So far my reaction is the only difference I've seen between the Chrome + and the Chrome Soft is some added spin on short irons. Distance is the same, feel is marginally better (meaning I have to focus on feel to differentiate a difference) and durability is a slight step back.

Our greens were running at a 13.5 yesterday so the spin will be interesting to see in more normal conditions (10.5/11).
Durability a step back? Care to explain as that has been a huge point of improvement over the + so far...

durability is a slight step back.

This surprises me a bit. A lot actually, I played these in #TheGrandaddy and was really impressed with this balls durability especially.

I've played the + and really don't remember much about them being really durable! what maybe did the ChromeSoft ball come into contact with that led to your view?

I had one in play for 6 holes yesterday, and it looked great when I passed it off to one of my playing partners to play. While walking off the green, I tossed my ball to him and he put it in play for the rest of the round, I believe.
When I passed it off to him, not one mark was on the ball. A little dirt and grass stained, but no damage at all.

Played this ball for first time yesterday and came away quite impressed. I noticed the increased spin immediately when hitting onto the green. Seeing it spin from a pitch mark on the greens was confirmed the hype was legit. Chip shots were great. I had a few shots where I was off green to a front pin and hit a flop and the ball on the club was soft. It seemed like I could actually feel the ball rolling moving on every groove on the club face. The ball went high and landed soft giving me couple tap in pars. Off the putter the ball was fantastic as well.

The only thing I didnt experience were shots that are hit onto the green bounce once and check. However I have never been good at that anyway. If I get this ball to do that I will try to buy all of them from Callaway. I am convinced and this is my ball for the year. Off to the golf store to stock up today.

Have played a few holes with the Chrome Soft, have hit a number of shots at a local golf shop on their launch monitor with a 7 iron, and have spent a few hours in short game practice areas with this ball. Seems like a very good golf ball to me. I have been playing the B330-RXS mostly recently. Really like the feel off the irons and wedges. Soft but not too soft. Around the greens it has a slightly higher launch on 20-30 yard pitch shots than a Pro V1 class ball, and with what appears to be good spin (the greens around here are pretty soft right now for the most part). I got to compare the Wilson FG Tour and Chrome Soft with that 7 iron on a launch monitor and the results between the two seemed pretty darn close. I like the Chrome Soft better though, and part of that is because the FG Tour discolors pretty quickly and seems less durable. I have only played just a few holes with the Chrome Soft and like it very well so far. No doubt some folks who have been using the higher priced golf balls will be converting to the Chrome Soft.
Thanks for weighing in. I've been playing FG Tour and am waiting for Chrome Soft to hit the shelves here as a potential replacement. I love everything about FG Tour except how easily it stains and the price point. Chrome Soft sounds like it should be the perfect replacement. Can't wait to test them out.

This surprises me a bit. A lot actually, I played these in #TheGrandaddy and was really impressed with this balls durability especially.

I've played the + and really don't remember much about them being really durable! what maybe did the ChromeSoft ball come into contact with that led to your view?

Surprised me as well after following the GrandDaddy coverage closely. To be clear its not a nuisance but I did scuff up a few balls quickly yesterday without the help of cart paths!

Surprised me as well after following the GrandDaddy coverage closely. To be clear its not a nuisance but I did scuff up a few balls quickly yesterday without the help of cart paths!

Interesting. Let us know how it goes with future testing.

Durability a step back? Care to explain as that has been a huge point of improvement over the + so far...

Scuffed up 2 balls on pinched bump and run shots. I'm not a hater, love Callaway and I was excited for this product. Just passing along what I experienced.

Played 18 with these yesterday, didn't see any issues with durability. Saw some pretty impressive stopping power around the greens.

I wasn't hitting the ball particularly well though with my irons, but that was user error.

Drives were just ok distance wise. Damp course and wind don't help much for hitting it long.

Scuffed up 2 balls on pinched bump and run shots. I'm not a hater, love Callaway and I was excited for this product. Just passing along what I experienced.
Oh no i wasn't insinuating anything, just curious about how it happened. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Oh no i wasn't insinuating anything, just curious about how it happened. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Something I left out that may be important is that I was using a brand new Scor 58 degree wedge yesterday when I scuffed both balls.

Playing in 2 hours and will see what today brings.

Got a few swings with this ball yesterday at a little informal THP gathering at a local GPI location. We had an impromptu long drive contest and a few guys tried this ball. Joe's brother in law, who's a pro at a nearby course hit the longest drive at 307 yards with this ball. He got 15 degrees of loft with a little under 1800 spin. This was surprisingly low considering his club head and ball speeds.

I was swinging driver poorly (which is not really surprising as I have not hit the big stick in several weeks) and was hitting one high push fade after another, but was seeing a little more distance than I normally would in these situations. I was seeing on these bad swings spin in the 2800 to 3300 range which is 500 to 750 spin less than I typically would have on these swings with my gamer ball (chrome + or 330-S). Ball speeds on most of these swings stayed right near 160mph which is better than expected when I hit these push fades. Total distance was at least 10 yards further carry than I typically see with these swings too.

And the monitor was a GC2 which is the same as I normally use so I trust the results.

I can't wait to see what this ball does when I actually start putting some good driver swings on it. The feel was nice and soft too. I think I'm going to be playing this a lot the coming season.

Back