Do you think this formula is valid to determine what tees you should play from?

Phil75070

Proud Member of Team THP - 2018 #TheGrandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.3
A golfing buddy of mine told me about a formula that Paige Mackenzie on The Golf Channel claimed should help you determine what tees to play from, yardage wise. Take your average drive and multiply by 18 and your average 7 iron distance and multiply by 14. So, for me, for example, if my average drive is 230 and my 7I distance is 140 then I should probably play from tees that are roughly 6100 yards. I personally find that an appropriate and enjoyable length for me.

First of all, do you think this formula is valid to determine your appropriate tees? Secondly, if you use this formula based on your distances are you playing from tees that are significantly longer or shorter than this formula would indicate?

Valid? Sure.
The problem is that geography plays such a role. For instance in your area, roll is quite abundant, so I can play from further away. In my area, there is literally zero roll, so I need to move up.

Plus people think they drive the ball further than they really do

I think the formula is ok, but you know Internet golfers all drive 300 and play from the tips...

My formula came up as around 7000 yards for my average drive and 7 iron based on that calculation. So I guess I should be playing from the PGA Pro tees according to that. But I wont have the same fun doing that. So I use this...

I try to play based on par 3s if they are 200 yards I move forward. I want them to be around 175 max and 140 minimum.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Works for me - says 6740

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems reasonable but may need some adjustment based on conditions!

I'm not sure it works, I can play back there but don't really want to

7200 yards? Yeah no thanks...

Neat idea but why not just play from a set of tees you will have fun playing? That's what the game is all about.

My Dad, who isnt as long off the tee as he used to be, was struggling this spring on figuring out what tees to play. After talking about it, and how he was hitting driver, I told him to look at the Par 4s, and make them fun again, and then decide what tees to play. Par 4s were killing him, because he was having to hit fairway woods in to them. He moved up a set of tees, and is now back to hitting his irons in to the greens on Par 4s. It has made the game much more enjoyable for him, and has improved his scores as well.

May not be the best method, but it has made the game fun for him again.

I am a big believer in both the "Tee it Forward" program and also the "play the tees I will enjoy" programs, which are usually but not always the same. I keep my yardages pretty religiously using Golfpad and last year my driver average was 239 at the end of the year after hovering around 241 most of the year. I found stuff in 6200 was the outside range of where I enjoyed it. This year I added nearly 20 yards (my overall average has gone up to 248...so 9 yard average increase, but that means my drives this year when I start it in July have been 267) and COULD move back a set but as I have yet to break 80 and I like seeing scores in the 80s...to what point? would I enjoy the game more saying I played at 6600 and shot a 93? For me personally, the answer is no.

So yes, that formula you reference is valid...if you enjoy the game that way

I try to play based on par 3s if they are 200 yards I move forward. I want them to be around 175 max and 140 minimum.

Several people have mentioned that same logic too in past threads. I understand it and can make some sense imo but that said its often not so simple as I have played courses with long par 3's yet was a short course overall. Didn't need nor use driver hardly at all so it doesn't always work well.

Mine puts me on the very outside edge of my comfort zone using conservative distances for both. If I use what is likely truer numbers it puts me at way too far back.

Going driver x 14 and 7i x 18 spits out more realistic numbers for me.

Mine puts me on the very outside edge of my comfort zone using conservative distances for both. If I use what is likely truer numbers it puts me at way too far back.

Going driver x 14 and 7i x 18 spits out more realistic numbers for me.

My thoughts exactly.

Here's the formula that works.

Do have fun on the course and are not the slow group = the right tees.

First off, I don't know what my literal averages are. If I use what I think are my normal good numbers the formula puts me at the top end of my comfort zone for summer weather. If I reverse the factors as was suggested above I am squarely in my winter and summer comfort zones.

Last edited:
One of the courses I play regularly is a "tee it forward" course. using the formula, my course length should be about 4490. (160 driver, 115 7i). That course is 4520 from the "front" tees.

It works for me. I'm playing it tomorrow and I always look forward to playing it. The other two courses I play regularly are 5411 & 5538 and I don't get many GIR's except on the par 3's. Those two courses are a big grind for me and not much fun.

The "T I F" courses are all about making golf fun for everyone based on their potential.

Personally, I'm a fan of it.

I think it sort of works as a general range. It gave me over 7000 yards which if I am driving the ball accurately isn't a problem.

The reality is I should probably move up a tee box or 2 from that and not need to hit driver as much. Tee off more with 4W or even irons depending on the hole and make the game easier on myself.

at my home course if playing in the gangsome or tourney play it is all based on age. Blues = 54 and below, White = 55-65, Black = 65-70 and Red = 70 and above. This is for the men of course.

The blues play around 6700 yards, Whites 6200, Black 5700 and Reds 5300. I am prob off with those but Im in the ballpark

It is about right, 240 tee and 155 7 iron for me comes to 6500 yards

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Works for me. 7,060 through the equation, my home course's back tees are listed at 7,010.

I can fairly comfortably play up to 7,200 but 6,800-7,000 is more fun.

Here is the formula Paige suggested on Golf Channel.

Formula: (14 x driver) + (18 x 7 iron) = yardage.

Example: (14 x 250) + (18 x 150) = (3500) + (2700) = 6,200 yards

Yardage is the starting point. You should also consider weather (ex. moisture, wind, etc.), layout (ex. elevated greens, tight tree-lined fairways, pot bunkers, etc.), and slope rating.

Do you think this formula is valid to determine what tees you should play from?

Terrific formula but personally I feel awkward playing anything under 6400 yards. I only hit a drive of 245-270 but I feel as if length demands great consistent ball striking and forces me to mind my p's and q's a bit more than playing 6000-6100. That distance is just too easy IMO

I agree with the previous poster on par 3's though, I am not a huge fan of 200 yard ones

Back