How long does it take you to adjust to new gear?

I can certainly play with most clubs after a few swings (irons resembling butter knives are the exception). To really gauge iron distance and wedge play around the greens, I'd like to get a few rounds in. Putters are similar -- I can putt reasonably well with a new one, but I'd like to get a couple rounds in to get a feel for distance control.

Drivers and FWs would be the easiest to adjust to for me. A lot of plug and play.

For me anything but a driver is just a few swings to determine if it is usable or not. The a bucket of range balls and I'm good to go. A new driver is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. It takes months and many, many range sessions to get comfortable with it. A dozen or so swings though will usually tell me if it's worth persuing, same as any other club. But to actually hit it well takes forever.

Mark Shuman

Questions for those saying it happens fast: Have you ever rented a set? Was it really that fast with the rented set?
Yes. A bucket on the range. And two Mai Tais

A few swings is all I need. Looks and feel mean a lot to me. That can make a club have a short lifespan in my bag.

Questions for those saying it happens fast: Have you ever rented a set? Was it really that fast with the rented set?

Yup, rented a set of speedblades and jetspeed woods and it took one hole to know how they would play for the day. My.biggest issue was adjusting to the different conditions in the Caribbean as opposed to here in the UK

Usually know in a round if I can play them. At my level of play it's very easy to blame the clubs after a few bad rounds and do some trading.

Whay is you got into even and the club you got didnt work as you expected? What choice do you have but to adapt to the club.

If it's a 3 wood and during test hitting it played better than my present 3 wood. Now after a few days I'm not hitting It well. It goes back in the closet until It earns Its spot in the bag.

I never trade in my old clubs because of this.
If In the next few range sessions, I can't hit the club as well as the day I bought it, I'll trade it off or sell it.

I never buy brand new clubs. Always good used at the golf shop, so I can hit them first. Never trade in my old club, in case the new one doesn't work out.

This has only happened 2 or 3 times. Usually I can tell by hitting if I'll like it.
Jack

How long does it take you to adjust to new gear?

A few swings for me. I'll know within a few rips if the club is something I like. This is purely a feel thing and I'm not looking at numbers.

Once I have something new I like, it takes about a range session or two along with about 9 holes to be completely comfortable.

To me golf clubs should be like shows. If they were fit to you , they should feel good right out of the box.

Neither should really have a breaking in period. Although with clubs I think a short period to learn any distance difference my be the case. But feel and comfort should be there right away.

I never keep old clubs around. that way I won't be tempted to switch back

I bought all new clubs last weekend and I'm playing great right now. Pretty quick for me.

For me I think it's how different the club is from what I'm playing. I think as I improve in golf/gain consistency in my swing it becomes a little easier. I was surprised at the UST event that I was able to get a feel for very light shafts after 10 or so swings.

I'm wondering if the same would occur with length/lie differences. My new clubs are longer than my previous set but have similar lie angles, making them play flatter than what I'm used to. I hit hundreds of shots yesterday before, during, and after my round but could not get used to them. If I set up where I felt normal I hit the ball on the toe of the club and saw a massive hooked ball flight. If I got closer I hit less toward the toe, but still maybe only half way on the grooves and felt crowded over the ball which led to poor follow thrus and pushed shots.

I just recently switched to a "new to me" set of Taylormade Speedblades which are about as different as possible from the Altitudes that I had been playing, I spent about 45 minutes on the range with them and then went straight to the course, I had one or 2 loose shots but those were "operator error" and had nothing to do with the equipment.

Give me a handful of swings and I think I can make the adjustment pretty quickly

About 50 swings on average and I can make them work. That doesn't mean it's the right club for me though, because I have been known to adapt to the wrong clubs.

For me I guess it depends what it is. For a driver I could tell kinda early on if I'm gonna like it but it will take me about 4-6 rounds to get fairly consistent with it. Other things like a wedge, hybrid or fairway if I don't feel it right away I'm done with them. It did take me about a month to get used to my new shafts though.

I think it should only take a few swings with a driver or wood. I'd say a round or two with irons and wedges so you can get your distances and trajectory down and run with it. I haven't swapped irons in a few years and hope to this season but if it's more than the two round idea, something is probably wrong.

I just put a new wedge in my bag and it took be about a large bucket of balls to feel comfortable with the distance. Adjustment for me is more about learning what my new distances are.

One or two swings usually. I gravitate towards the same general club over and over so only need to adjust for loft changes.

Sometimes its instant, others take as long as 3 rounds for me personally. New distances or heights ect, and even shafts and or grips can all make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to long. I took my Cobra driver out for the first time and a couple of tee offs and It felt good and would stick in my bag for a while. I think my irons took a couple of rounds because they were quite a bit different to what I was using. But they are going great now.

I simply don't know. :)

Took me less then a day to get friendly with the driver.
Took me a few range sessions and rounds (two week period I'd say) to get used to the FWW.
Took me about a month or so to get used to having a hybrid in the bag. (A week to get used to the club)
Took me maybe 20-30 shots to get used to my wedges.
Takes me about an hour to get really comfortable with a new putter.

I've had my irons for ages, no clue as to how long that would take. I'm just worried about getting used to the distances I hit with them, once I'm able to afford new clubs ;)

For me I will know pretty quickly whether or not something has a chance to make it into my bag.

However, that is vastly different from being fully comfortable and trusting the new equipment. That part takes me a few range sessions and at least 4-5 rounds. I'm a bad indian.

Drivers, fairway woods and putters I can go with right away. Hybrids, irons and wedges will definitely require a "honeymoon" period.

Drivers, fairway woods and putters I can go with right away. Hybrids, irons and wedges will definitely require a "honeymoon" period.
Learning distance gaps is one thing I agree may take some time, but what learning curve is there for wedges really? Shouldnt a 56° play like a 56° no matter how new or old it is?

Back