The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working on getting my driver setup feeling normal.
Still hitting heel from time to time.

Is this just some work on your own or is this a part of your lessons

Is this just some work on your own or is this a part of your lessons

Lessons start next Friday, just something I've found with the help of my swing caddie.
I was too close, stepping back and reaching a bit more is producing decent results, and feels like I get better path, and more room to make a complete swing.

We are getting a break from winter this weekend, so it was nice to hit outside at the range without a jacket.

Got to spend more time with the Apex, along with the X2hot hybrid and for the most part - liked what I saw.

Felt rusty and that is to be expected this time of year.

Time to start the lessons back up again.

7263af5e766b05314220018b36a7cd7a.jpg

Got a range session in this morning. Not really feeling the "throw the clubhead" move. Irons were better when I stayed connected and swung around my left side. This is the only swing that I honestly say can feel repeatable at times. Driver and 3 wood were terrible, almost everything going right, and not a fade either. Wanted to get some more practice in before scheduling lesson #2 but I think it's time.

I spent a couple hours today banging balls. Had to knock the rust off the swing for sure. But it was nice out, and I had time to kill. Man initially I was all over the place. Finally settled down and started hitting my long irons pretty well. I went out there with a 54 degree wedge and 4-6 irons. Distance was not there at all today but that could be rust, weather, and technique was a little off.

I spent a couple hours today banging balls. Had to knock the rust off the swing for sure. But it was nice out, and I had time to kill. Man initially I was all over the place. Finally settled down and started hitting my long irons pretty well. I went out there with a 54 degree wedge and 4-6 irons. Distance was not there at all today but that could be rust, weather, and technique was a little off.

Nice to hear Kevin. I thought about going out, but didn't make if.

Set up the garage hitting area yesterday. No net though. I was just working on set up, takeaway and keeping my spine tilt away from teh target at the top. All in front of the mirror. Hitting the old medicine ball for an impact bag. After seeking out some help about this arm overrun thing I think I finally got a solid idea to help me, but I need to see it - hence the mirror. Basically just working on the backswing/turn stopping before the point that I'm forced to reverse that tilt away from the ball (which is when an upper body lunge takes over). Seems too simple to not have come across it before. End result is keeping the tilt into impact which = staying behind the ball.

Other point of focus was trying to keep my right foot grounded a bit. It's off the ground before I hit the ball most times, though I think it's an effect rather than a cause.

Really think if I get this backswing thing taken care of I'm going to be in a good spot for starting the season. I've picked up some speed, but I need to get rid of the flip/early release and it all comes back to that.

More range time yesterday, as I have to take advantage when weather permits. Continued to work on my swing plane and was happy with what I saw. Impact was better, but I did notice that I would some times get lazy and start laying off again. It's kind of like my body wants to skip the part where I take the club all the back and wants to go right to the downswing position on the backswing, which of course makes my backswing flatter and more inside. If I focus on staying wide and vertical on the backswing, it creates enough room for me to stay on plane on the downswing.

Although my irons and hybrids were much crisper, I struggled with my 5w. This reminds a lot of where I was this time last year, but I think it relates to making too early of a release, which punishes me a lot more with the woods. I now need to focus on getting my hands to impact before the clubhead to create more lag. What has disappeared though are the random bad mis hits, either topping the ball and pushing is way right. That is what I was interested in getting rid of and now want to keep grooving this move for the irons and hybrids.

I am going to make a concerted effort this year to spend more time on the range practicing and improving. The last several months, the range was only something i visited to get loose before heading out for my weekend round. I am in need of a routine or something to make the time more useful.

I have several things I want to work on and will be looking for an instructor for some lessons to get me rolling.

It wasn't really a range session, but I hit a bunch of balls last night while demo'ing irons and drivers. A miracle occurred - I appear to have rediscovered my inside to out path. Man, what a joy it was to essentially be rid of ballooning weak fades/slices.

Set up the garage hitting area yesterday. No net though. I was just working on set up, takeaway and keeping my spine tilt away from teh target at the top. All in front of the mirror. Hitting the old medicine ball for an impact bag. After seeking out some help about this arm overrun thing I think I finally got a solid idea to help me, but I need to see it - hence the mirror. Basically just working on the backswing/turn stopping before the point that I'm forced to reverse that tilt away from the ball (which is when an upper body lunge takes over). Seems too simple to not have come across it before. End result is keeping the tilt into impact which = staying behind the ball.

Other point of focus was trying to keep my right foot grounded a bit. It's off the ground before I hit the ball most times, though I think it's an effect rather than a cause.

Really think if I get this backswing thing taken care of I'm going to be in a good spot for starting the season. I've picked up some speed, but I need to get rid of the flip/early release and it all comes back to that.
Ryan are you planning to take more lessons this year?

It wasn't really a range session, but I hit a bunch of balls last night while demo'ing irons and drivers. A miracle occurred - I appear to have rediscovered my inside to out path. Man, what a joy it was to essentially be rid of ballooning weak fades/slices.

How did you do that or did it just happen?

Worked on the same thing last night. Mirror, takeaway, tilt. Short and sweet.

Ryan are you planning to take more lessons this year?

No solid plans either way at the moment. I've worked briefly with him and one of his students here and there over the last couple months, but no formal lessons.

Just spend about 45 mins putting in my room and then another half hour just going through the motions with my hand made "punisher" training aid. I really want to get better at getting square at impact and feel this will help tremendously.

97eb739dc483f61c670fea64242c041a.jpg

Booked 90 minutes tonight for testing and practice. Excited as can be. I usually like to play a sim round afterwards just to have some fun with it, even if it's just nine holes, but I don't know if I'll have time. Tons of info to take down and it's got me pumped.

Going to work on the same things I've been doing at home, but with a golf ball on the ground.

Rough go of it later night. I am focusing on a less active left leg, and I'm having some trouble rotating instead of sliding in the downswing. Had some good swings where I got it all together, just need to keep working at it to get it to feel natural. High baby draws when it comes together, fat low shots when it doesn't.

How did you do that or did it just happen?
It was a series of tinkering adjustments. I moved about a ball away from the ball at address. I slowed down my takeaway and really focused on making a full turn. At the top I consciously thought "swing to right field." Sometimes I'd put the ball on the tee so the logo was on the inside, giving me a visual aid. After several swings like that the feel of the path started coming back and it started happening more naturally.

Last edited:
Practicing my drive through the zone. I think slowly over the last couple years the lag I usually generate with my irons is gone. I need to get back to driving down past my belt holding my wrist bend and then releasing.

Or I need a lesson or seven. Hitting it straight is great. Hitting it two clubs short is not.

Hit the range, worked on mid and short irons to get my game back. Seemed to work very well, pleased with the results I saw. Also did putting practice with the new putter , this thing is a animal! Drained so many putts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slower start and then things came together nicely. Worked on the same thing or two I have been working on, with the added focus on not letting go of the grip at the top - or adding a bunch of unnecessary wrist set (however you want to describe it). Feel extremely rigid in the hands doing that, but it's sort of like changing your grip. It's going to feel weird at first. The ugly power hook was missing for the first time in a while and didn't lose any yardage. Big smile for that.

I am pondering a season pass at the range near me for this summer, but I am not sure if it is worth it. they want 400 bucks (same price than 50 large buckets at 8$)

I think it would help my game a lot, but should I keep that money for more rounds or lessons?

Slower start and then things came together nicely. Worked on the same thing or two I have been working on, with the added focus on not letting go of the grip at the top - or adding a bunch of unnecessary wrist set (however you want to describe it). Feel extremely rigid in the hands doing that, but it's sort of like changing your grip. It's going to feel weird at first. The ugly power hook was missing for the first time in a while and didn't lose any yardage. Big smile for that.

Losing the grip at the top is something I fight. My swing then gets long and arm-y on the way down and I shut the face and lose all my speed.

I am pondering a season pass at the range near me for this summer, but I am not sure if it is worth it. they want 400 bucks (same price than 50 large buckets at 8$)

I think it would help my game a lot, but should I keep that money for more rounds or lessons?
Do they have a good short game area?

The range literally across the street from my house which has been closed the last 2 years has had guys working inside the clubhouse for the last couple months. It would be so convenient if that opens back up. Only negative is anyone wanting to get a range session in after work is hitting directly into the sun.

I'm struggling to find a purpose to practice. It happens almost every year during the winter. And it pretty much sucks. Trying to find a new teacher hasn't brought any fruit either. I'm ready for spring to get here that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back