Callaway XR Irons Preview Thread

Calloway XR Irons

Calloway XR Irons

I got to spend some time with them on the sim today. Am I the only one that simply wasn't blown away by them? In all fairness, the shaft wasn't the best fit, but nonetheless.

Go ahead and delete this one jb

No reason to delete my friend, we just merged them together. Thanks for the feedback.

Step into the local golfsmith and started testing the new callaway xr.

Only one word

Loooooong.

Back to back with the other callaways I was hitting the xr pro the longest and Straightest.

Easiest to hit. Lots of confidence on setup.

Wow. Good job callaway.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Looks like these will be headed to Oklahoma for a review, very much looking forward to seeing all this tech at work. Should be a very fun and interesting set to review.

I hit the 7i at GG yesterday for a while. It's very easy on the eyes at address, with some offset showing. I hit the graphite, which was pretty light weight. Distance was respectable and I was getting a nice high ball flight. The sound at impact was very much a thwack type sound. Generally, it was an easy to hit club with solid results.

I bet these are fun irons to hit.

Hit the XR Pros with the stock KBS Tour V shaft....Man,,,these clubs are long. Had a really high ball flight to them though.

I don't think these are right for me.....Staying with my I25's for now!!!!

I bet these are fun irons to hit.

They definitely look like it. The 360 cup tech is interesting as all get out.

Hit the XR Pros with the stock KBS Tour V shaft....Man,,,these clubs are long. Had a really high ball flight to them though.

I don't think these are right for me.....Staying with my I25's for now!!!!

I had the same reaction. Damn nice but just not for me.

Luckyyyy!! I can't wait to hit these.

You've got as many iron sets right now as I do putters dude. LOL

It'll be fun, but work, lots of tech to break down on these for sure!

Has someone used both the bertha and the XRs? What were your thoughts? I am a 16hc, and looks don't matter at all for me.
I owned the Big Bertha's for the last few months and hit the XR & XR PRO. Bottom line. With the exact same recoil f4 stiff shaft they were all equally long for me.
The BB May have been a touch more forgiving.

My dispersion was also a touch tighter with the XR PRO

I ordered the XR Pro earlier this week.

They are all great clubs. They are all easy to hit. I could hit the greens on hop and stop right next to my divot mark with the Big Bertha Irons from 170 yards secondary to the high ball flight. It would virtually falls straight out of the sky. A nice pro like flight for a 15 handicapper.

So really you can't lose with any of these. I tend to have a nasty hook when I get a little quick and handsie during my swing. So the decrease in offset should help my by switching to the XR Pro.

But if you have a push fade bias then the offset might help.

Once you try all three you will know which one fits your game the best.

I have only hit the XR Pro indoors. But I did play the Big Bertha's. They were long and very forgiving. If I have the same results with the XR Pro. Guess who'll be seen on ebay next week.

Hope this helps

b4f06375840ba75a6fc5f8bfabec895f.jpg

Do these leave the bertha's already in the dust? Or are they geared towards a different golfer?
Distance was the same for me. Only difference was the footprint and the amount of offset. Larger to smaller : BB - XR - XR PRO.

The dispersion also improve in a similar fashion.

I also have the X2 HOT and tested the APEX and APEX PRO. The BB - XR - XR PRO are by far the longest by 1.5 clubs and significantly more forgiving.

But of course each of us is so different that I recommend you check them out for yourself.
0bb0fc65b96772341de257da71e16d07.jpg

Thanks for the feedback Johan! I change my irons every 2 years. By the sound of your comment, you are going thru them every 2 months!

Looks like these will be in hand Tuesday, excited to get to work on these.

Thanks for the feedback Johan! I change my irons every 2 years. By the sound of your comment, you are going thru them every 2 months!
Lol hadn't changed my irons since the X24 Hot series many years ago. I usually try to find a setup I like and stick with it for a few years as well. But this year Callaway has come out with a break through technology that has turned my game around.

While the X2 HOT's were a little bit better than my X24 HOT, the Big Bertha's left them in the dust.

But like many others I found the head size and the offset a little distracting. I bought them purely based on performance and felt that I would sacrifice looks for distance. Well of course I had no clue what Callaway had up there sleeves until January when the XR and XR Pro Irons were announced.

When I first started to test them I expected I would have to sacrifice something in exchange for the sexy looks and sleeker design. But to my surprise, not only were the XR and XR Pro just as long. They were just as forgiving.

So if they play on the course half as well as they performed indoors, the XR'S will be sitting in my bag for the next few years.

So. Test for your self.

I'm been hitting more GIR with the BB and hope to see the same results with the XR irons.

But who can resist shiny new toys.

0704bb090231f74d0cf28ce052251643.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like these will be in hand Tuesday, excited to get to work on these.

love your reviews, Jman. Very much looking forward to see what you have to say about these.

I had a chance to hit the XR Pros on the simulator at GG yesterday and compare them to my irons. The XR 6 iron was slightly longer than my FG V2 5 iron. More importantly the spin was lower on the XR's than my irons. I spin the ball more than I would like and I will get these irons for that reason alone. Now I just have to decide which shaft to order. I leaning towards the KBS Tour V's.

Last edited:
I had a chance to hit the XR Pros on the simulator at GG yesterday and compare them to my irons. The XR 6 iron was slightly longer than my FG V2 5 iron. More importantly the spin was lower on the XR's than my irons. I spin the ball more than I would like and I will get these irons for that reason alone. Now I just have to decide which shaft to order. I leaning towards the KBS Tour V's.

Nice TB, good stuff. Did you hit the standard XR's? Or just the Pro's?

I'm interested in the XR's for the added benefit of distance just like everyone else. The looks don't bother me as much but I do have a question -

I understand Callaway has got the launch and such up there to match the lower lofts in these irons but if the club is longer are they necessarily easier to hit? If I'm hitting a 9i XR instead of a 8i PING but the clubs have essentially the same loft/length then does it really make a difference what's stamped on the bottom of the club?

I'm interested in the XR's for the added benefit of distance just like everyone else. The looks don't bother me as much but I do have a question -

I understand Callaway has got the launch and such up there to match the lower lofts in these irons but if the club is longer are they necessarily easier to hit? If I'm hitting a 9i XR instead of a 8i PING but the clubs have essentially the same loft/length then does it really make a difference what's stamped on the bottom of the club?
Key here is probably toe and heel forgiveness compared to your ping.

Which PING's?

G30's are going to have similar lofts. They are just like every other GI iron out there regarding lofts/lengths in a general sense. And pretty much every company has an iron like that in their lineup.

Which PING's?

G30's are going to have similar lofts. They are just like every other GI iron out there regarding lofts/lengths in a general sense. And pretty much every company has an iron like that in their lineup.

G25's

Here's the comparison I pulled from their respective sites, just using the 7-9 for example -

Loft Length
XR’s
7 30° 37"
8 34.5° 36.5"
9 39° 36"

G25’s
7 32° 36.75"
8 36° 36.25"
9 40° 35.75"

Back