Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

I totally agree, and I know there are a lot of factors like temp and transition, but in that case the guy just wanted me to order a x speed aftermarket shaft just to squeeze more money out of me. I admin I do not know a lot about shafts, but the one thing I know is that I dont have the swing for a X flex black tie.

You might be right. The flip side is to find something that lowers launch and spin and the Black Tie does that regardless of swing speed.

Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

My apex pros just arrived, got their maiden voyage they blew my exceptions away. I was hitting some longggggg shots and was working the ball on command for the most part. I am thinking of adding the 4 iron, as these long irons and silly easy to hit. By far the best set I have owned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
then again, I wish I could get a fitting, but outside of golftown, I can't see where I could get that done around here and I really dont trust them... they tried to sell me a X flex driver shaft when my average swing speed is sub 100 mph.

I feel your pain Martin! GolfTown is my only option for testing/fitting of Callaway stuff, and I hate them so much I can't even be bothered to swing the Apexs in their store.

Yesterday is probably not going to be the final judgment on these Apex irons with the Recoil F3 shafts as it was my first round with these clubs, my first round since having a total knee replacement of my left knee (November 10) and the weather was in the 40's and maybe just over 50 by the time we finished, though no wind to speak of.

I found the irons to be a little 'clicky' and did not sense the soft feel I would have expected from a forged iron. Even two of my playing partners noticed the different sound that these clubs produced. The front nine, given the "rust" was not the best judge as I also think I was subconsciously favoring that knee (I am right handed) and found myself occasionally falling back. On the back nine I set up with weight on my left side and was able to finish on the left side by doing so and hit some pretty good shots. I did find them to be about a club shorter than the X2 Hot irons I used last summer but obviously my swing is not totally back and the temperature may have had something to do with that also. I shot 80 (I am a 3.8 index) with one double and six bogies, no birdies. Not bad considering but I did shoot 3 under on my first round back from having my right knee replaced last Spring so perhaps my expectations were higher than they should have been. :)

Just for the heck of it I did carry the 4 and 5 irons and hit some layups on par 5's with those clubs as well as a 4I to a long par three. Boy are these long irons easy to hit and get up in the air!

still loving my Apex irons. The feel and sound is just wonderful. The flight with the Tour V shaft is beautiful. Heck, I'm even hitting my 5 iron well!

I just got my Apexes back yesterday after sending them to Callaway to be re-shafted with PXi 6.5... I was able to hit them yesterday for the first time since Dec 26. The PXi make such a difference compared to the S300 I had in them before. I can't wait to get back on the course with these!!!

I found the irons to be a little 'clicky' and did not sense the soft feel I would have expected from a forged iron. Even two of my playing partners noticed the different sound that these clubs produced.

I know what you mean about 'clicky'. I compared the Apex and Z545. The clubs are very similar in size and shape....plus you will probably get very similar results. The Apex might be longer.....but the z545s have a lot better sound to me. You can defiantly here the Apex clicky sound compared to the Z545s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

still loving my Apex irons. The feel and sound is just wonderful. The flight with the Tour V shaft is beautiful. Heck, I'm even hitting my 5 iron well!
Must be the most beautiful "click" I've ever heard. The only thing wrong with this iron is...well...nothing I've found.

Just to push a few buttons, just wondering if those using he apex, still have the same love!

I think most do. I have not found too many people that dont still like theirs a lot.

I almost bought some cally x forged like the ones Mickelson bags but I still think I'm a season or 2 away from them. Gonna continue to game the C100s for at leaet 2 more years.

Just to push a few buttons, just wondering if those using he apex, still have the same love!
Simply put, yes. Great heads and when you find a shaft pairing that works for you, boy does it work.
I almost bought some cally x forged like the ones Mickelson bags but I still think I'm a season or 2 away from them. Gonna continue to game the C100s for at leaet 2 more years.
So have you tried the Apex?

yes x1000

one of my all time favorite irons.

Simply put, yes. Great heads and when you find a shaft pairing that works for you, boy does it work.

So have you tried the Apex?
I've tried both and love both but if and when I go forged it will be something along the lines of AP2, Cally X forged or the Wilson FGs.

I am waiting to hit them outside to reach a conclusion , but they look good, and they feel great

ok, now that I have played the Apex for a few simulator rounds, I feel like I can tell how they will perform for me, and I really have mixed feelings.

I love the look/feel of the heads, but these KBS tour V stiff are way to much for me. coming from a 85g regular shaft to a 110g stiff was way too much! I can tell that they are not working for me and costing me distance (I cant hit the PW past 105 yards which is ridiculous for me).

I did feel like the old shafts were too light for me, but I think I will try to find regular, heavier shafts to put in there, maybe some dg pro R300.

in the meantime, I will pull the stock shafts out of my X Hot irons and stick them in the apex heads and see what happens

Martin, this may be a stretch, but if you find yourself in the Boston area, there is a Callaway Fitting Center in Hudson, NH (about 45 mins north of Boston). It is at a place called Golf Ski Warehouse. Might there be one in the Montreal area? See you in Pittsburgh if not sooner!

Plan on gaming them again this season (just waiting on the weather). Really solid iron.

Martin, this may be a stretch, but if you find yourself in the Boston area, there is a Callaway Fitting Center in Hudson, NH (about 45 mins north of Boston). It is at a place called Golf Ski Warehouse. Might there be one in the Montreal area? See you in Pittsburgh if not sooner!
Thanks, I will keep that in mind, but I think I found a place here near one of our office I may have to visit in spring

Edit: oh and I went ahead and bought some tour 90 I will try once I can hit outside

Thanks, I will keep that in mind, but I think I found a place here near one of our office I may have to visit in spring

Edit: oh and I went ahead and bought some tour 90 I will try once I can hit outside

If you can figure out how to swing righty by the time we get to Pittsburgh, you are welcome to try mine with the Recoils

Mine were a new addition in December so there hasn't been much opportunity to fall out of love. I have been working to get fully acclimated to them and have really enjoyed the process. These clubs are so easy to hit and can perform all the shots. They feel great, have loads of forgiveness and are plenty long. I came from a more SGI and love the middle ground that the Apex strikes.

These are still in the bag. I have other irons on the way, but that has more to do with me liking shiny & new versus the Apex not performing. Simply put if I was told these irons were to remain and I couldn't hit anything else, I would be ok with it they are that good.

It seems I'm certainly in the minority here on THP, but I honestly still think these are the best all around irons on the market...yes, better than the 545's too.

I'll be gaming the Apex for the foreseeable future. They just work.

Sould love to get my hands on these.

Back