Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

Anybody with handicaps above 16 gaming these? How are they for you forgiveness wise?

These are the best irons I've ever played. I've had other clubs that may have been more forgiving, but in terms of being the complete package: length, forgiveness, looks - this is it, Callaway hit a home run with these...I had been a Ping guy for a long time, I played G2, G5, G15, and G25...I traded in my G25's for these.....Also, because Callaway does not stick with winning models (like Titleist 7 series irons, or Ping's G line)...I may actually buy a backup set of these...last year I heard Mark Calcavecchia say something interesting about clubs, he said it was easy to switch woods from year to year, that technology moved faster in woods, but he felt irons once dialed in, should be kept and played for a long time....at the time, he was playing a set of G5 irons...so he ignored G10s, G15s, G20s, and G25s...so he played the same set for 8 years....If Callaway was smart, and I had ONE request of the guys at Callaway, I would ask them to keep the Apex line whole, to update it every two years, and make the update in a way that it would still be an Apex...follow the Titleist 710, 712, 714 model line in similar fashion with their Apex irons...when they update the Apex, you can look at it and see it's an Apex, it looks very similar to earlier models, but is just better....

So my Apexes arrived yesterday and I took them to the driving range to hit them off grass.

Oh. My. God.

I don't know if it's the heads, or the KBS Tour V shafts, or proper sized grips, or the length/lie adjustments or what, but they're *incredible*. Everything went up in the air, even the 3i and 4i. I had some misses to the right, but that's my typical swing error miss. Distance gapping was pretty good and the feel and watching the ball fly was just amazing. I can't wait to game them on Sunday, they're totally confidence inspiring.

So my Apexes arrived yesterday and I took them to the driving range to hit them off grass.

Oh. My. God.

I don't know if it's the heads, or the KBS Tour V shafts, or proper sized grips, or the length/lie adjustments or what, but they're *incredible*. Everything went up in the air, even the 3i and 4i. I had some misses to the right, but that's my typical swing error miss. Distance gapping was pretty good and the feel and watching the ball fly was just amazing. I can't wait to game them on Sunday, they're totally confidence inspiring.

Awesome buddy, love this for you!

Looking forward to seeing these in action on Sunday.

Oh. My. God.

They are pretty awesome aren't they? Glad you found a total package that works for you!

Oh. My. God.

They are truly one of the most solid and well put together irons on the market.

Oh. My. God.

Hahaha, I love this. STILL in my opinion the best all around set of irons on the market.

Hahaha, I love this. STILL in my opinion the best all around set of irons on the market.

Wish I could've found a deal when I was looking.....absolutely loved putting yours into play for a bit. Fantastic looks and just all around performer.

Hands down have to agree with you. If they come out with a new set next year I will be standing in line.

I must be in the minority.

I went from i20s to the Apex's and just never fell in love with these. I did not hate them, but I much preferred my i20s.

Oh. My. God.

Congratulations Dave!! I love my Apex/Tour V combo, and it was as much of a love at first sight scenario as you are describing. I simply love to hit these irons and six months later the feelings are exactly the same as day one.

I keep drooling over these and just need to bite the bullet! CPO here I come!

I like handing them to people to hit on the range and watching their faces light up.

They are pretty awesome aren't they? Glad you found a total package that works for you!
Yeah, I don't know if I lucked out on the right combo of stuff or what, but they're really doing it for me.

As I take lessons and get a more consistent swing, my plan is to make any necessary fitting adjustments to these.

I was really surprised that the Tour V Stiff shafts are working so well for me. I didn't think I had a particularly fast swing, but they're night and day better than the regular flex graphite shafts in my Speedblades. I was afraid with a stiff shaft I'd be seeing low-launching balls, but that's just not the case.

I have a set of brand spanking new apex irons (with recoil shafts) that I got in December just sitting in my cellar waiting for the weather to break here in upstate ny.

I'm going crazy waiting for some sunshine......

I have a set of brand spanking new apex irons (with recoil shafts) that I got in December just sitting in my cellar waiting for the weather to break here in upstate ny.

I'm going crazy waiting for some sunshine......

Simulator golf?

Getting ready to regrip my set (thanks to the Lamkin green 3gen grip sale a couple months back) and be ready for 2015. But i'd be lying if I said these weren't a little scared of the xr pro iron possibility later this year. But i really do love my Apex irons, and i'm soooo ready for some warmer weather here to get them back on the course before the Invitational in Lexington.

Last edited:
Yesterdays round was almost an epiphany. When I first got the Apex irons I felt that I was a club shorter than my old Burner 2.0s. As I've become acclimated to them I've found that is simply not the case, if anything I'm perhaps a yard or two short.

I had one memorable shot where I was 168 uphill to a tucked left pin. I pulled 7 iron and put this beautiful penetrating draw that was turning over incredibly. I got up there and found I was 15 yards past the flag! That is just ridiculous distance for me. I could not believe how that shot just launched off the face and how great it felt. Love me some Apex bombs!

After a spate of shoddy iron play, mostly got back on track yesterday. While I wasn't driving the ball particularly well, being able to hit reliable shots with the long irons made for a pretty tolerable day. Love the feel and sound on these, and the turf interaction is very solid.

Also, they're simply beautiful to look at at address.

finally did it.
I procrastinated on these for literally months, comparing these to the Srixon 545's , and even with my existing ping i20's.

I hit with the apex and the srixon, but I felt better contact with the apex.
So placed the order and picked up today, 4-pw, with the regular R300 xp shafts.
I will be giving them a try out tomorrow ( all being well ).

Do have a question regarding the Sand wedge, I did not get this, but have the opportunity to get a 54 at a good cost.
Has anyone else used the sand wedge, and there thoughts.

I have a Mack Daddy 2 on order for a sand wedge. I decided to go with proper wedges rather than extending the set.

finally did it.
I procrastinated on these for literally months, comparing these to the Srixon 545's , and even with my existing ping i20's.

I hit with the apex and the srixon, but I felt better contact with the apex.
So placed the order and picked up today, 4-pw, with the regular R300 xp shafts.
I will be giving them a try out tomorrow ( all being well ).

Do have a question regarding the Sand wedge, I did not get this, but have the opportunity to get a 54 at a good cost.
Has anyone else used the sand wedge, and there thoughts.
I don't use the wedges but I have read a lot of good things about them. I have hit the AW and SW and they are great I just needed a bit more from them.

The sand wedge is a ton of fun.

I love my Apex's, I have since day 1, but the XR pros have me pondering....

The deal I found on these was from 4-AW. I've dropped the 4 in favor of a hybrid and substituted a MD2 50* for the AW to go with my MD2 Tour Grind 54 and 58. For some reason I can't get any distance out of the AW that came with the set and prefer the turf interaction of the MD off some of the tight fairways I play.

The deal I found on these was from 4-AW. I've dropped the 4 in favor of a hybrid and substituted a MD2 50* for the AW to go with my MD2 Tour Grind 54 and 58. For some reason I can't get any distance out of the AW that came with the set and prefer the turf interaction of the MD off some of the tight fairways I play.
I came across something similar with the gap wedge. It does seem shorter than where I feel like it should sit in its gap. Some of that, I think, is how much higher the Recoil shafts tend to launch things, especially the short irons. I think by the time we're talking about a 50° wedge, it's reached the point of launching high rather than far.

I do like being able to stick to the greens like a champ with the approach wedge, though. From 100-105 out, it hits and sticks.

Last edited:
Back