Hardest Club to Adjust To?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
My playing partner today was telling me he struggles to get used to his new wedges every time he replaces them for a couple of rounds. Then settles in and loves them. He uses only one brand and replaces every 2 years when they release and knows he likes them. So it's not a brand or style thing for him, just a comfort thing.

It got me thinking about clubs that take more time on a personal level. What do you think is the hardest for you?

I'm going to say putter. Not so much adjust and play, but maintain expectations with... So so so easy to be slightly off with a putter and jump the number per round by 5+

For me it is either the driver or the putter. Some of the ones I try feel incredibly light and it really throws me off. I can tell when an iron feels too light, but it doesn't mess with me as much.

Hybrids. So many shapes designs and settings I always takes a while to get comfortable when hitting off the turf.

Hybrids for me too- and FW's. Everything else I'm ok swapping out whenever for the most part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate saying this but I have trouble adjusting to everything. It takes me a few trips to the range and a handful of rounds to get comfortable and confident. I'd say wedges are probably the hardest to adjust to.

I'm going to say putter. Not so much adjust and play, but maintain expectations with... So so so easy to be slightly off with a putter and jump the number per round by 5+

Yup. Change putters, and I am assured to put badly for a couple of rounds before settling down....

Putter, man they're finicky to get used to.

Putters for some reason don't bother me. I feel like I can putt with anything - irrational confidence haha

A putter for sure for me, driver second.

Driver and irons. Hybrids are relatively easy for me to hit, and the putter either works right away or it doesn't.

Fairway woods for me. I don't know why but when I switch I struggle for a round or two.

Probably a tie between putter and wedges for me. Touch shots are the hardest to get used to for me. Full swing distance/direction I can get used to assuming it somewhat fits my game.

Im gonna go with long irons. I can adjust and play mid and short irons easily, but struggle going from set to set with long irons.

I'm with your playing partner - its the scoring clubs without a doubt. Wedges and to a lesser extend the putter.

Other than new distances with irons it doesn't really take long to adjust to new clubs for me. I will typically only buy something if I feel comfortable with it right away.

Probably fairways and hybrids for me.

I was going to say wedges, but it really just that some wedges work well for me, some don't.

To hit well, for me driver.

I'm going to say driver. I can't hit hybrids but that's probably my fault. I have gone through so many drivers but each of them has their own perfect spot, speed, flight, and even drag. One driver never feels like another. Never hits like another. Or even acts like another. It's all about trial and error with drivers.

Driver and Putter for me.

I actually agree with the wedges part. Just because they are used for so many different types of shots.

Agree 100% right there.

Driver for me, I know it shouldn't be, but I really struggle adapting to a new driver, always find myself going back to an older one I've had success with or feel comfortable with.

wedges or putter for me. Usually its just getting the feel for them and making sure they perform like the club they replaced.

I went to lighter graphite shafted irons for the first time earlier this year. Took a little extra time for me to adjust to that. I sometimes still struggle losing my feel for the club head with my set GW on partial shots. The old set AW was my go to for a lot of different chip/pitch shots. I'm still not as confident playing them with my lighter GW.

Back