Bag Setup Thread: Reasons and Thoughts

Is it dumb or is there some sort of unwritten rule about having the same brand of clubs? I would imagine it's mainly personal preference but I was just curious as to how everyone feels about that. Right now I have all Nike clubs but have been thinking about getting the R15 driver but wasn't sure how I felt about different brands in the bag.

No, it just helps calm the old OCD.

Would you say HW is more forgiving than say a 5w from the deck ?Or is it Apples vs Oranges. There is absolutely one spot there for me between driver and 7 w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're comfortable with the slightly longer length, the HW will be easier to hit because of the additional loft. But if you prefer a slightly shorter club, you might have better success with the 5W. Really the only answer is to hit both of them. I am a big fan of the V series clubs.

My other potential issue is a gap between my PW and GW. The gap wedge was going around 115 and the PW can go out to 135. I was left with a few 125 shots that I was stuck trying to figure out what to do. I am unsure what goes between 44° and 49° though.

I'm curious as to what you come up with. These are my yardages for those two clubs also and I'm still working out how best to handle that.

For sure. If I go with the FG Tour M3s I might even have 2 hybos in the bag, or add a 7 wood.

Which way are you leaning on irons right now? I think if you go M3 up to 5 iron you won't have any bit of trouble gaming them.

Sidenote, if you ever find a place to hit them let me know. I want to, badly haha

Here goes nothing. Currently in the bag:

Strong 3W @ 11.5* - Primarily off the tee but I will swing it from the deck if the lie is good (fluffed up in the first cut or sitting up in the fairway)
4W @ 16.5*
Hybrid @ 19*

All three play well off the tee or the deck and I find a great deal of flexibility with them.

4-GW irons.

23*, 26*, 29* 4-6 irons;
32*, 36*, 40*, 44*, 48* 7-GW

In the cold weather I tend to reach for the hybrid for anything beyond 200. In warmer weather I would feel comfortable grabbing the 4-iron for up to 210, if I'm hitting it well. These cover 210-100.

Wedges:

52/8 56/8. The 56 is primarily for bunker shots and when I need to land it soft. I'll go as far as 80 yards with it depending on how froggy I'm feeling. The 52 I'll use anywhere from 100 in and is what I reach for if I'm trying to hit a two-hop stop shot ("trying" being the operative word here).

In the bullpen:

Driver: 8.5-10.5* currently set at 10.5*. Currently mis-behaving and has had me hitting 3 off the tee quite often as of late.
4-5 Hybrid: Adjustable between 22-25*. Recent purchase en route but have an idea where it might fit.
Wedges: 50*, 60*.

My thinking about the clubs in the bullpen:

If driver is behaving I can:

1. Swap driver for 3W
  2. Pull GW and 52 and add driver and 50

Option 2 leaves me with 6* gaps from PW to SW and keeps 3W as an option off the tee if there is trouble long or a dogleg.

With the 4-5 hybrid I could:

1. Pull 4i for 4h set @ 23*
  2. Set 4h @ 24* and pull 4i and 5i

Option 2 would force me to cover 210-190 with the 4h, which should be do-able keeping a full swing and choking down a bit. Depending on the course I could be wedge biased or top end biased. Long and open? Get driver and possibly both hybrids in. Smallish greens or greens well-guarded? Get the 60* in the bag. If the 4h feels like it might become a permanent resident, I could possibly get the 6 bent a degree strong and move the 5i shaft to it. That would make for nice 4* loft gaps across all the irons (which might be a little OCD, but what the hey).

Al least that's the theory. Everyone has a plan until they get hit.

This place may be the death of me (likely by spouse :tongue: )

In the short two months between the above and now, THP and the fantastic input of its members and staff has turned out my inner club ho.

Current state of the bag:

Driver: K15 @9.5* - Picked up as a used find. Was playing at 45" with an Aldila Serrano 60R. I found it whippy and a launcher of sky balls, so I took 1" off the tip. Stiffer and @44" it's found a spot at the top of the bag, with the ball now flying longer, lower, and straighter. The TEE 11.5* fairway is in the bullpen and perhaps on the block. (I purposely avoided the "Shorter is Longer" thread since I can't empirically state that my improvement in length was attributable to the decrease in length rather than the increase in shaft stiffness.)

3W: Cobra Baffler XL@13* - Got this having read feedback here on THP. Members here thought the Baffler XL line were real sleeper clubs being overlooked for the sexier adjustable offerings. Got it NIP for <$70 shipped. Had it on the range Monday and hit it very well off the deck (mat). Definitely a sleeper club that can really launch it. I didn't notice any distance loss from the TEE and this was definitely easier for me to hit. The TEE may be out for good.

4W: Same as above. Had a shootout between it and the 3H to see if the gap was small enough to make it expendable. It wasn't. The 4W carried 15+ yards more consistently with roughly the same trajectory. It stays.

3H: Same as above.

4H: The Amp Cell that was on the way in the last post is in the bag. I have it set @ 24*. I intend to turn it down to its lowest setting and gap test it against the 3H. If it closes the gap sufficiently I may keep the low setting and pull the 3H in favor of another wedge.

5-GW, 56* all unchanged from above.

Why I am thinking what I am thinking:

I'm not a threat to hit a lot of greens in reg. from mid-long iron distances, so having a dependable club for pitches 100 yards and in is more of a priority than options at the top of the bag. Being able to pull a hybrid would enable me to add a 52* wedge. This would maintain 4* gaps from 7i on up.

I could use the set gap wedge @48* for these shots, but I find it could use more bounce in many situations. The 56* could also be an option, but I would rather leave it for bunkers and touchier shots near the green.

I also still have the choice to replace the 48* set gap wedge with a 50* wedge and keeping both hybrids. If this becomes the norm I may have the set gap wedge bent to 50* and the set PW bent up a degree to 45* to smooth the transition a little.

And it will be great until my inner club ho acts up again and decides it needs some new irons, like the C100s or one of those handsome Bridgestone offerings, or those sharp Cleveland CG Blacks, or...

Great thread!

I'm going in to my second season as a golfer, and I have recently updated my bag as follows:

Driver(same as last year) - Can't hit it for my life, so I've set it to 12* as that is supposed to make it easier? Now I will focus on practicing and learn to use it.

Fw - Need one, and it feels like it will be a Fw 5 to reach about 240 yards, and I think I need one that is pretty easy to hit to begin with. Suggestions?

Hy 19*(same as last year) - Used of the tee and everywhere else, works really well and goes about 200-220 yards.

Irons 4-pw - New sticks so I'm not really sure about the exact distances yet, but they should cover 190 - 120 yards, decided to try a 4i as I like hitting irons but maybe it will be replaced by another hybrid if it doesn't work out.

Wedges 50, 54, 58* - Also new to me, 50 and 54* from 110 - 20 yards, and the 58* around the greens(depending on the situation).

Putter - Just bought a new one, and I will use it on the green if I ever get there.

This is the plan, but as I mentioned irons and wedges are new so we will see how it turns out, and all thoughts are appreciated.

Will be interesting to look back in a couple of month to see what has happened!

Have a nice day! =)

New to forum lads, and this thread has been incredible. so many different ways of setting up a bag, and good rationale added too so people understand. cheers for taking the time.

I have half of this kit now, and im just deciding on the last and biggest purchase. a set of RSi1 irons 5-PW, or Cally XR 5-PW...going for a final hit at the golf store next week and will walk out with one or the other. but the rest:

Driver SLDR White 10.5
Fairway SLDR S 4Wood (17*)
Hybrid SLDR S 3 & 4H (19* and 22*
Irons 5-PW RSi1 or Cally Xr as mentioned above - any advice on either is welcome, or if anyone strongly believes the Speedblades are close to RSi1 quality as they are almost $300 cheaper ($475 aus v $750 Aus or so for other two)
Wedges Cleveland Forged 588's in a 48/54/60
Putter TM Monte Rossa.

I have been using a cougar set of clubs for about 10 years...and after getting to a point where i was consistently scoring 13-15+at my local, i decided to rebuild the bag and try get to the next level.
also, i dont have a TM fetish, but they always seem to be there or thereabouts when i shortlist some clubs...yet are almost always best value due to the aggressive release of products.

For $300 cheaper I'd go with the SpeedBlades every time over the RSi - assuming you can try them out. I doubt there's a difference between the two worth that much money.

For $300 cheaper I'd go with the SpeedBlades every time over the RSi - assuming you can try them out. I doubt there's a difference between the two worth that much money.
I haven't spent much time with the Rsi, but my Speedblades were on par with the Rsi I was trying out. Really good set of clubs right there.

I haven't spent much time with the Rsi, but my Speedblades were on par with the Rsi I was trying out. Really good set of clubs right there.

For nearly half the price? Speedblades. I feel the RSi's should be able to edge out the Speedblades on a trackman numbers wise, but they aren't twice as good.

Another vote for Speedblades, especially if you can get a used set.

My bag setup is: RBZ Stage 2 driver 10.5 w/ Project X 6.0 shaft a half inc shorter than my previous R11.
RBZ 15* 3 Wood w/ a arthur xtreme eng. Stiff shaft.
#3&4 TEE Xrail hybrids w/ Aldila RIP Stiff shafts.
5-PW are TMag CB,s KBS Tour stiff shafts.
50,54&58* Cally Forged dark chrome wedges stiff shaft.
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 w/ a Super Stroke flatso grip.
Tmag TP3 Ball. there u go, my bag setup guys

tomorrow is the first round of the year up in NY. The bag setup tomorrow will be as follows.

Driver
Mini Driver
AeroBurner 3HL
Heavenwood
4 hybrid
6-PW
54/58
Putter

New to forum lads, and this thread has been incredible. so many different ways of setting up a bag, and good rationale added too so people understand. cheers for taking the time.

I have half of this kit now, and im just deciding on the last and biggest purchase. a set of RSi1 irons 5-PW, or Cally XR 5-PW...going for a final hit at the golf store next week and will walk out with one or the other. but the rest:

Driver SLDR White 10.5
Fairway SLDR S 4Wood (17*)
Hybrid SLDR S 3 & 4H (19* and 22*
Irons 5-PW RSi1 or Cally Xr as mentioned above - any advice on either is welcome, or if anyone strongly believes the Speedblades are close to RSi1 quality as they are almost $300 cheaper ($475 aus v $750 Aus or so for other two)
Wedges Cleveland Forged 588's in a 48/54/60
Putter TM Monte Rossa.

I have been using a cougar set of clubs for about 10 years...and after getting to a point where i was consistently scoring 13-15+at my local, i decided to rebuild the bag and try get to the next level.
also, i dont have a TM fetish, but they always seem to be there or thereabouts when i shortlist some clubs...yet are almost always best value due to the aggressive release of products.

Get the Speedblades. I haven't hit the RSi, but I remember the Speedblades being stupid long and nearly idiot-proof point and shoot forgiving. Can't go wrong.

My bag is the set up I got fitted for back during the Grandaddy, and it hasn't changed.

Even though I'm not the tallest guy, all my equipment is standard length and loft except the lie angle of my irons. Even the 1 degree toe up on my irons was minimal, as hitting on the board showed my right on the line for doing it or not. For me, based on my off days, I decided to go with it.

10.5 Alpha 815 turned down to 9.5
18* 815 3 fairway
20* 815 hybrid
Apex 4, 5, and 6 iron (1* toe up)
Apex Pro 7, 8, 9 and PW (1* toe up)
Mack Daddy 52, 54, 56, 58 (1* toe up)
Odyssey Versa Sabertooth (W/B/W) with Super Stroke 2.0 white/black grip

During tournaments, I just drop one of the wedges.

For nearly half the price? Speedblades. I feel the RSi's should be able to edge out the Speedblades on a trackman numbers wise, but they aren't twice as good.

Another vote for Speedblades, especially if you can get a used set.

Get the Speedblades. I haven't hit the RSi, but I remember the Speedblades being stupid long and nearly idiot-proof point and shoot forgiving. Can't go wrong.

Cheers everyone. i will see if i can have a hit with them somewhere. but from all reports they are incredible easy to hit, go high, long and straight...what more could you ask for really.

there is probably a marginal gap between them and RSi1 and maybe again to the XR, but for value, but as a few of you mentioned... not a $300 difference.

also, as an aside, the SLDR irons are more in line with RSi2 arent they and for a slightly better golfer? they are also well priced under $600, but probably out of my skill level.

My bag is all over the place at the moment iv had a big hole in the top of my bag just got 17degree 4 wood to try and sort it!

At my disposal I have

Driver
TM SLDR 14* playing at 12.5

Strong 3
Cleveland classic 14*

4 wood
Cally x hot Pro 17*

Hybos

X hot pro 16*
Adams DHy 21*

Irons
Mizuno mp53 4-pw

Wedges
TM ATV 50 & 54
Cleveland 588 58

Putter
TM manta

The problem I have is at the top what would you guys do?

I have only just got the 4 wood so hoping that fills the gap from driver to dhy but I feel I may need a new hybo at 20* as the dhy isn't the longest only 10 past my 4i

Mine is currently in transition but here's how it sits, I'll be changing my 3 wood.

Driver-R15 Black 10.5
3 Wood-Cobra Bio Cell+ 15 degree
5 Wood-Cobra Bio Cell+ 17.5 degree
Irons-RSI 2 3 thru PW
Wedge 1-RSI 2 50 degree
Wedge 2-Nike VR forged 54 degree
Wedge 3-Nike VR forged 58 degree
Putter-SeeMore One CS
Ball-Titleist PRO V1

After some range sessions over the last week, I tweaked my bag set up. I'm sticking with the Altitudes for now, as I've been hitting them almost exclusively over the last month and have seen a jump in performance. And with Recoils now in them, I'm pretty excited.

Although I'd love to get a J15 4h, I'm holding off for now and put the Jetspeed 5h back in the bag. It gives me great distance and aside from a few wonky rounds with it, it gaps well with my 3h. Then I have my utility iron in there since it's easier to hit in many situations.

I am not sold with the G25 4w, but it plays great off the tee and is longer than any other fairway wood I have. But it's tough to hit off the deck for whatever. I'd love to find a fw that I can hit well off the tee and deck. The X2Hot 5W comes close, but it's not as long as the G25 off the tee. The J40 is great off the deck, but lacks distance off the tee. It will be between these 3, unless I find another one that blows them out of the water.

After some range sessions over the last week, I tweaked my bag set up. I'm sticking with the Altitudes for now, as I've been hitting them almost exclusively over the last month and have seen a jump in performance. And with Recoils now in them, I'm pretty excited.

Although I'd love to get a J15 4h, I'm holding off for now and put the Jetspeed 5h back in the bag. It gives me great distance and aside from a few wonky rounds with it, it gaps well with my 3h. Then I have my utility iron in there since it's easier to hit in many situations.

I am not sold with the G25 4w, but it plays great off the tee and is longer than any other fairway wood I have. But it's tough to hit off the deck for whatever. I'd love to find a fw that I can hit well off the tee and deck. The X2Hot 5W comes close, but it's not as long as the G25 off the tee. The J40 is great off the deck, but lacks distance off the tee. It will be between these 3, unless I find another one that blows them out of the water.

XR 5 w ? Gamed G25 5w last year and it was fine, but from what I heard XR is both forgiving and long.

My bag is all over the place at the moment iv had a big hole in the top of my bag just got 17degree 4 wood to try and sort it!

At my disposal I have

Driver
TM SLDR 14* playing at 12.5

Strong 3
Cleveland classic 14*

4 wood
Cally x hot Pro 17*

Hybos

X hot pro 16*
Adams DHy 21*

Irons
Mizuno mp53 4-pw

Wedges
TM ATV 50 & 54
Cleveland 588 58

Putter
TM manta

The problem I have is at the top what would you guys do?

I have only just got the 4 wood so hoping that fills the gap from driver to dhy but I feel I may need a new hybo at 20* as the dhy isn't the longest only 10 past my 4i

Take your Strong 3, 4W, and hybrids to the range and see if you can't get some realistic carry numbers between them. I have a similar configuration right now with a strong 3, 4W, and 19* hybrid and see roughly 15 yard carry gaps between them.

So... funny what a trip to a golf superstore with a full range to demo clubs can do. You can actually find clubs that you can see work for you!

Out are the UDI 1 and 3 irons. They were either underperforming or replicated by other clubs that are easier to hit. In their place is the Nike Vapor Pro driver (currently on order) and the Callaway XR Pro hybrid in 18°.

This gives me a variety of options for the top of my bag. The plan will be to use the driver and hybrid most of the time. But if I am having struggles with those, the UDI 2 iron and the XTD 4 iron should keep me in the fairways (albeit further from the hole). And all of this without taking any spots away from the rest of my bag, which I am very happy with between the XTDs and the ATV wedges.

If it is windy, I will take out the XTD 4 iron and add in my old Spalding 1 iron for that day. I would use the 1 or 2 irons on any holes playing into the wind. Both of those can be teed low and keep the ball down in the wind.

I'm seriously thinking about finally dropping the 5i.

I'm seriously thinking about finally dropping the 5i.

I admit I've had the same thought lately myself.

My concern though is that it seems like every time I drop an iron, I start hitting the new lowest iron like crap hahaha. When I dropped the 3, I started hitting the 4 like crap. When I dropped the 4, I started hitting the 5 like crap. Vicious cycle :banghead:

Back