Callaway XR Fairway Wood Review

So I am seriously hooked on this one. The sound is intoxicating and I am getting great distance. Reminds me of the V-Series in terms of sound with a bit lower launch for me. Plus it seems like no matter where i hit the darn thing on the face, the distance is the same.

How would you compare it to the V Series in terms of launch/flight? The fact that the sound is similar piques my interest - that's one of my favorite things about the club. I'm really enjoying the 3/HW combo most of the time, but there are some courses I play a lot where the 4W/3h setup works better, and I'm not launching my current 4W nearly high enough, except off the tee.

How would you compare it to the V Series in terms of launch/flight? The fact that the sound is similar piques my interest - that's one of my favorite things about the club. I'm really enjoying the 3/HW combo most of the time, but there are some courses I play a lot where the 4W/3h setup works better, and I'm not launching my current 4W nearly high enough, except off the tee.

Slightly lower for me off the deck, similar off the tee. I also hit it further by about 5 yards.

Does anyone game the XR Deep? How does it compare to previous versions of the Deep fairway woods?

Does anyone game the XR Deep? How does it compare to previous versions of the Deep fairway woods?
Wish I could compare the Deep but I've never gamed them.... Only hit them in a simulator a few times and didn't suit my eye.

I just got the XR 3 Deep delivered yesterday and will give it a try on Saturday. I currently use the X2 Hot 3 Deep as my driver (since I can't seem to hit a driver safely) so I'm looking forward to the comparison. I ordered the XR 3 Deep with an Aldila Tour Blue shaft as that's the shaft that just works for me. Wasn't willing to risk trying the Project X. My X2 Hot 3 Deep also was ordered with the Aldila Tour Blue so this will be a 1:1 comparison of the XR and X2 Hot heads.

Also have XR 4W and 7W on order (with Aldila Tour Blue shafts) so after another week or so I will be able to comment on those. Currently use the X2 Hot 4W and it's my favorite club.

Looking forward to your feedback PowerCobra.

Looking forward to your feedback PowerCobra.

Thanks, can't wait to report my results!

One thing I can say right off is that it's a nice looking club but the optics of the paint make it look much smaller than the X2 Hot 3 Deep. Putting them side by side they look almost the same (the shape is a little different) but separately the XR just seems smaller. Also the XR headcover...uuhhgg. Don't like it one bit. Nice looking but not very functional in regards to protecting the shaft. I'm just going to use my X2 Hot headcovers on the XR clubs and I guess be stealth about having XR's!

Thanks for sharing PowerCobra...I look forward to your observations

After seeing this thread, I think i need to look at this XR for my 5 wood. I was planning on getting the Titleist 915, but this sounds like a great club & cheaper than the 915 :)

Seems I've....acquired one of these to try in a trade/giving scenario.

I'm excited.

I'm excited.
oh really? I wonder how well you will like it. I'll go with..... a lot. ☺

I'm excited.
Xr line taking over your bag!

So another round with the XR 4 wood and another successful day. Hit it 4 times, again in a variety of different ways and it did the job each time. The first time was off a tee on a tight, short par 4. I usually hit my 3 hybrid but I feel so good with the XR that I took it out. Hit a little behind the ball. I thought this was going to be a 150 yard chunker. Well, the ball wound up in the fairway and I was past where I usually am with my 3 hybrid. Very little distance loss even though I hit behind it. Had a nice easy 9 iron into the green. My next shot was off the deck on a long par 5. Had absolutely no problem getting the ball up and hit a perfect little fade that left me 70 yards for my 3rd. My next shot was off the tee on a par 4. This was a bad swing and blocked it out right. However, still got good distance out of it and had an unobstructed approach. Last shot, I was under a tree after a bad drive. Put this in the back of my stance and hit a perfect punch shot under the limbs out of the rough to 100 yards. I'm really loving the XR 4 wood and how versatile it is.

Pulled the xr 15* 3 wood from the bag today. Not going to use it anymore. For whatever reason, and the only club in the bag that has a tendency to hook. I'm not dealing with it anymore, I like to swing a nice temp swing like the rest of my clubs but this one is not cooperating. I have decided I also don't like the small face, just not for me.

Im going back to my Adams xtd ti 16*hybrid, I'll loose 15-20, but it's worth it, I'm hating this club right now. :(

ken

Callaway rep was out at my home course this afternoon. I got to hit the 3w, 5w, and the 7w, and even the 3deep. I was fitted for the XR at the Annika Academy a few weeks ago, but it was still nice to be able to hit these on my home range and directly compare them to my current stuff. The 3w, 5w and 7w are just launch machines for me and I love the ball flight I see. Callaway rep had trackman setup and my numbers were similar with the XR 3w compared to the Optiforce I'm gaming, however the ball flight and accuracy of the XR was superior. Thinking about heading over to Golfsmith in the morning to trade in two 3 woods I have toward the XR.

The 3 Deep is just too much for me off the deck. Worked great off the tee, almost like a mini driver, but couldn't not get it more than 20ft off the ground when hitting off the deck. All clubs I tried had the LZ 5.5 shaft I was fitted for in them.

So this club has in the bag for 3 rounds and has yet to have one bad shot. I'm hitting this punching out from under trees, off the deck and tee. I just can't say enough good things about the XR 4 wood. The one shot that really stuck out today for me was on a par 5. Was in the rough with an OK like but it was on a downhill slope. Still took the XR 4 wood out and hit a frozen rope that went dead straight and left me with a wedge into the green for my 3rd. I never would of had the confidence before this fairway wood to hit one out of the rough, nevertheless on a downslope. Hits bombs off the tee, gets up easy off the deck, and versatile enough to hit out of the rough or play some punch shot under trees. There's nothing I don't feel comfortable doing with this club.

I'm another that is living the 4wood. I'm getting about 280 total off the tee with this club here in denver. If I didn't like the xr driver as well I would he hitting the 4w off the tee all the time. Point and shoot

I'm loving the 5 wood. By far the best 5 wood I have ever owned from Callaway and I've had nearly all of them.

I'm loving the 5 wood. By far the best 5 wood I have ever owned from Callaway and I've had nearly all of them.

agree x2....it's the first fairway wood i've ever been able to hit well off the turf.

I will own one and soon. Spent quite a bit of time with the 3 wood yesterday on flightscope and is was far better than anything I have seen previous with any other club. Going to compare it a little more this morning and use it on the course today to confirm but I am in love.

So I finally got to put my XR pro into play today. Yep, it won't be leaving my bag anytime soon. Launches the ball so easy and it is LOOOOONG. Easily as long as the 3 Deep but so much easier to hit off the deck. It looks great at address and fits my eye so well.

Only problem now is there is a decent gap between my 20° X2Hot hybrid and the 3 wood. Haha. I will make it work though. haha

So I finally got to put my XR pro into play today. Yep, it won't be leaving my bag anytime soon. Launches the ball so easy and it is LOOOOONG. Easily as long as the 3 Deep but so much easier to hit off the deck. It looks great at address and fits my eye so well.

Only problem now is there is a decent gap between my 20° X2Hot hybrid and the 3 wood. Haha. I will make it work though. haha

I told you lol. I had the same issue with gap between my 4w - utility - 4 iron. Ended up buying a 7w. If I can hit that 7w as well as the 4w then I bemieve top of my bag is locked up

agree x2....it's the first fairway wood i've ever been able to hit well off the turf.

The super shallow face makes it very easy to hit and it is a good tee club. Just tee it low and go.

I told you lol. I had the same issue with gap between my 4w - utility - 4 iron. Ended up buying a 7w. If I can hit that 7w as well as the 4w then I bemieve top of my bag is locked up
You weren't lying. It's long. Might have to add in a 5 or 7w. Would have to drop the 4i most likely but I wouldn't be upset to do that.

Although all the courses I normally play I really don't need a club past the 220 mark anyways. I normally don't go for par 5s in 2 anyways.

Howzat is a manimal with this fairway wood.

Back