2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A back injury while doing some tire flips (stupidity of trying to keep going well after form had already broken down) has had me doing back and leg exercises a lot differently as of late. For example 5x20 on squats the other day with only 150lbs and super slow/strict movement.

Question for BG. You think that since I'm going super light weight for really high reps with legs and back that I should switch chest and shoulder workouts to the same set/rep range? Or should I just continue my 8-10 reps that I planned on staying at for the next several weeks with those exercises that don't really load and compress my spine or affect my lower erector spinae very much? I haven't seen very many suggestions for a question like this in any legitimate fitness articles online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A back injury while doing some tire flips (stupidity of trying to keep going well after form had already broken down) has had me doing back and leg exercises a lot differently as of late. For example 5x20 on squats the other day with only 150lbs and super slow/strict movement.

Question for BG. You think that since I'm going super light weight for really high reps with legs and back that I should switch chest and shoulder workouts to the same set/rep range? Or should I just continue my 8-10 reps that I planned on staying at for the next several weeks with those exercises that don't really load and compress my spine or affect my lower erector spinae very much? I haven't seen very many suggestions for a question like this in any legitimate fitness articles online.

I'm holding a place. I'm on the course, I will answering a little bit.

I just went through this exact thing. I rehabbed my back and still trained my upper. you're doing it the right way. High reps. Slow weight progression.

Train normally on the areas you are not rehabbing. No reason to voluntarily give up progression when you can get.

I just went through this exact thing. I rehabbed my back and still trained my upper. you're doing it the right way. High reps. Slow weight progression.

Train normally on the areas you are not rehabbing. No reason to voluntarily give up progression when you can get.

That was my line of thinking. Was just worried I might create a bit of an imbalance if I went on with it for any length of time. I doubt a month or two would do too much to me though. Thanks for the second opinion. Hope the round went well today.

That was my line of thinking. Was just worried I might create a bit of an imbalance if I went on with it for any length of time. I doubt a month or two would do too much to me though. Thanks for the second opinion. Hope the round went well today.

If you're training for physique, yes. There may be an imbalance in you have a show coming up. But getting stronger is getting stronger. If you have to rehab for more than 7 weeks, we may to adjust reps and set structure. We will cross that bridge when we get there.

Last edited:
If you're training for physique, yes. There may be an imbalance in you have a show coming up. But getting stronger is getting stronger. If you have you have to rehab for more than 7 weeks, we may to adjust reps and set structure. We will cross that bridge when we get there.

Not a physique trainer, at all. It's more of a posture and balanced core thing for me. I think I'll be better before it gets to that point, though!

Not a physique trainer, at all. It's more of a posture and balanced core thing for me. I think I'll be better before it gets to that point, though!

You're good, man. you're still progessing with the light weights you're making progressing. after a week (do you're rehab work 5 days a week) that will become heavy. Very quickly.

Also, mix in some hangs. Literally just grab a bar and hang. Mix that in. 30 seconds a time between every set.

LEG DAY!!!!

Leg-Day.jpg

Workout/golf program on hold temporarily. Tweaked my back something fierce so need a few days rest. The diet soldiers on however!

Does anyone have any advice on loosening up hamstrings? Mine are super tight and I can tell it's restricting my swing.

Does anyone have any advice on loosening up hamstrings? Mine are super tight and I can tell it's restricting my swing.
Foam rollers are nice. Stretching is good. What are you doing for exercises or lifts for your hamstrings?

Right now I haven't been as they have been so tight I don't want to make them tighter. I do have a foam roller. Current stretching is laying on back using a strap to pull legs up one side at a time. My right leg I really can only get to 45° without bending my knee.

Right now I haven't been as they have been so tight I don't want to make them tighter. I do have a foam roller. Current stretching is laying on back using a strap to pull legs up one side at a time. My right leg I really can only get to 45° without bending my knee.
Can you touch your toes?

I know there will be many here that will scoff at this, you may have to just get stronger. Squat to depth and deadlift. Those movements will not reduce flexibility.

No I can get to my knees is all. Before my back problems I could go flat Palm to floor.

No I can get to my knees is all. Before my back problems I could go flat Palm to floor.
I don't mean to be rude, are you...on the rotund side?

Not at all. I am 6'1" and 205lbs. I mean I have a little pooch but it's not a Dunlap.

Flexibility is something I have always been jealous of. Even when I was in top shape I never came close to touching my toes. Not even close.

Not at all. I am 6'1" and 205lbs. I mean I have a little pooch but it's not a Dunlap.
You need to get in the gym. Loaded barbell movements will make you flexible.

One thing I think is worth the price, go get a deep tissue massage.

The back issues have limited me a bit from getting to the gym. This is a recent pic of me.
ab45b05706c8d0fb65414668ba756aca.jpg

Flexibility is something I have always been jealous of. Even when I was in top shape I never came close to touching my toes. Not even close.
Some would argue that you weren't in that good of shape.......

I am not one of those people.
The back issues have limited me a bit from getting to the gym. This is a recent pic of me.
ab45b05706c8d0fb65414668ba756aca.jpg
Go get a massage. Foam roll. And move a barbell.

Some would argue that you weren't in that good of shape.......

I am not one of those people.

Go get a massage. Foam roll. And move a barbell.
Haha yeah I get it. But I managed to play college soccer and run 3 miles in 17 minutes. Good shape for me, even though I was mocked for my lack of flexibility.

Haha yeah I get it. But I managed to play college soccer and run 3 miles in 17 minutes. Good shape for me, even though I was mocked for my lack of flexibility.
To be fair, that is very typical runners flexibility.

Thanks blugold, I will get on the deadlifts, carefully!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back