2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get strong with high reps. But you will mostly get hypertrophy (bulk). Doing 5 sets of 15 at 50% will not train you to lift heavier weights. It will not make you as strong as 3x5 at 90%
Not true, your 50 percent number will rise just as your 90 percent number.

My grandfather worked in the lead mines, he swung a sledge hammer 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. He was not "bulky" but he was the strongest man I have ever known.

Not true, your 50 percent number will rise just as your 90 percent number.

My grandfather worked in the lead mines, he swung a sledge hammer 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. He was not "bulky" but he was the strongest man I have ever known.
I do not dispute that high reps have a place. They do. Mostly as rehab.

High reps and low weight will drive some results. No challenge there. Just not as well on the top end for a maximum 5 rep set.

its a pretty high rep workout debating with you blu :) But I welcome the brain muscles.

I do not dispute that high reps have a place. They do. Mostly as rehab.

High reps and low weight will drive some results. No challenge there. Just not as well on the top end for a maximum 5 rep set.
I would love to see the actual proof on that..

2015 Fitness and Weight-loss Thread

2015 Fitness and Weight-loss Thread

I was always under the impression that high rep lower weight produces leaner muscle, and high weight low rep produced bulkier muscle.

Body builders for example do high weight low rep.

It produces bigger muscles, which in turn can be strong, but usually limits mobility and flexibility with said muscle.

I would love to see the actual proof on that..
Stumped me. I don't know of any empirical evidence. I would love to put this to some sort of test. Let me dig

I was always under the impression that high rep lower weight produces leaner muscle, and high weight low rep produced bulkier muscle.

Not true. A lot of bodybuilders now use high volume lifts. And high volume of steroids.

Not true. A lot of bodybuilders now use high volume lifts. And high volume of steroids.

High volume high weight though? Or do they do the 10-15 reps at like 50-75%?

It produces bigger muscles, which in turn can be strong, but usually limits mobility and flexibility with said muscle.

That's not exactly true either. I personally know a body builder, biggest most ripped guy I have personally known and he has won many competitions.
And he said he doesn't do anything with under 10 reps. And usually its 12 or more reps.

I was surprised to hear that as well because I always thought this.

Tough to answer. Many of them train with isolation lifts. But remember, the Mr. OKYMPIA level bodybuilders are very enhanced. bodybuilders are not after a heavy total. They are after bulk.

Without roids, I contend that it is impossible to do sets of 15 at 90% of your 1 rep max

That's not exactly true either. I personally know a body builder, biggest most ripped guy I have personally known and he has won many competitions.
And he said he doesn't do anything with under 10 reps. And usually its 12 or more reps.

I was surprised to hear that as well because I always thought this.
Some anecdotal evidence. Mike Metzner trained low reps to failure. Arnold trained high reps to volume. Also, steroids

Interesting. Did not realize that. I had always heard high weight low volume to build muscle.

Interesting. Did not realize that. I had always heard high weight low volume to build muscle.
Both will build muscle. Any loaded movements will. When it comes to high end strength, lifting heavy is very taxing. But it also prepares you to lift heavy, mentally.

For example, using estimated a 1 rep calculator

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/orm.htm

If we are both in the same strength competition and I trained in high reps, example:

a2fd528153c653ed354c61b6dc748101.jpg

And you trained low reps for example :

95ee72ee02a3600f1550cde89751a994.jpg

I would contend that you would be more prepared, mentally, for that 500# lift. It would be less of a shock to you.

Gotcha. I mean with everything it depends what you are training for. If you're going for a max lift then I guess I would agree with you on the mental part.

Gotcha. I mean with everything it depends what you are training for. If you're going for a max lift then I guess I would agree with you on the mental part.
The goals are very important. I train heavy, for me. It's the best way for me to maximize my time in the gym.

The goals are very important. I train heavy, for me. It's the best way for me to maximize my time in the gym.

Makes sense. when I weight train I go for endurance. If I'm training it's for lacrosse, which I just need muscle endurance and flexibility. Which transitions extremely well into golf as well.

Makes sense. when I weight train I go for endurance. If I'm training it's for lacrosse, which I just need muscle endurance and flexibility. Which transitions extremely well into golf as well.
Yup. I still stand firmly that you can lift heavy and not lose flexibility.

It's possible, yes. But it's easier/better to lift heavy for legs with lacrosse than arms. You have to work a lot harder to maintain flexibility if bulking up your arms. I've seen it first hand with numerous people. Not saying it's not possible, and might just be the type of arm workouts they were doing, I'm just going with what I have personally seen out of people.

It's possible, yes. But it's easier/better to lift heavy for legs with lacrosse than arms. You have to work a lot harder to maintain flexibility if bulking up your arms. I've seen it first hand with numerous people. Not saying it's not possible, and might just be the type of arm workouts they were doing, I'm just going with what I have personally seen out of people.
I have seen similar. But it's mostly people who over train isolation lifts. Bicep curls and tricep pull downs are generally useless

I have seen similar. But it's mostly people who over train isolation lifts. Bicep curls and tricep pull downs are generally useless

Yea, like I said its most likely just them not doing the right lifts.

Most of the people I knew who were really good at lacrosse we skinny as all get out though and barely lifted haha. Funny sport like that

Yea, like I said its most likely just them not doing the right lifts.

Most of the people I knew who were really good at lacrosse we skinny as all get out though and barely lifted haha. Funny sport like that
Yeah. Athletics are goofy. Hand eye coordination and rapid force development are just not trainable.

Yeah. Athletics are goofy. Hand eye coordination and rapid force development are just not trainable.

After watching a few of my college friends try to swing golf clubs a few years back...I agree 100%. Dear Lord.

I just want to be very clear, after today's discussion, lifting heavy is not the only way to improve one's fitness and well being

We tend to not get a ton of high rep stuff prescribed at the gym, unless it's something in the conditioning portion - deadlifts max out at 5 or 6, squats are at 8 max. Other than when I'm beat up from doing something dumb, my flexibility has definitely increased. We also do almost no isolation lifts.

So, anecdotal, but I agree with you on this. Also agree that there are a lot of ways to do it, and some work better for different folks.

But there is something wonderful about heavy days, at least for me.

We tend to not get a ton of high rep stuff prescribed at the gym, unless it's something in the conditioning portion - deadlifts max out at 5 or 6, squats are at 8 max. Other than when I'm beat up from doing something dumb, my flexibility has definitely increased. We also do almost no isolation lifts.

So, anecdotal, but I agree with you on this. Also agree that there are a lot of ways to do it, and some work better for different folks.

But there is something wonderful about heavy days, at least for me.
The experience and level of the trainee plays a huge role as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back