2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Blu,
You know of anyone in the area that does golf specific fitness stuff that's any good?
Before I write a novella answering your question, what are your goals?

Before I write a novella answering your question, what are your goals?

Better strength without losing flexibility. Better flexibility overall. Quite honestly i spend 40 hours a week at a desk and dont do much else other than golf. Trying to get motivated to do something into the winter to not get rusty.

163 pounds. Five more pounds and I can start wearing the 32's again.

Better strength without losing flexibility. Better flexibility overall. Quite honestly i spend 40 hours a week at a desk and dont do much else other than golf. Trying to get motivated to do something into the winter to not get rusty.
Bare with me. I have thought about this a lot and it may fly in the face of conventional wisdom. but I believe I am 100% correct.

First premise I would like you to accept, lifting heavy weights or maximizing strength will not reduce flexibility. If you do a chin up from a dead hang your arms will be a certain length. If you do that same chin up with 90 extra pounds hanging off of you, the distance you must travel to get your chin above the bar is the same. If you do a barbell squat where your hip joint goes below your knee, that distance doesn't change if you do body weight or 800#s. Flexibility is lost when lifting with reduced range of motion. This reduced range of motion facilitates a "pump", when blood saturates the muscle belly adding size. You may hear a gym Bro calling this "getting swol". Perfect example of being strong like bull and not losing flexibility is Jason Zuback.

Lifting like that, for a pump, is dumb and I do not favor that.

Second premise, the only "golf specific movement" that will add swing speed is a golf swing. Any cable rotation type movement is slower than your golf swing. If you do those, you're training your body to rotate slower. Don't do them.

If you want to get stronger for golf, it's the same as just getting stronger. The stronger your hips, glutes, lats, and shoulders are the stronger you are for everything. Not just golf.

Lifting with your feet on the floor is key. Lifting with compound movements is key (the golf swing is a compound movement).
Isolation lifts like curls, tricep kickbacks, and calf raises are dumb. muscles are not meant to function in isolation. Machines are dumb. They force you into their range of motion, not your own range of motion.

The fastest way to get strong is with barbells. You can efficiently lift heavy weights over the most effective range of motion and you can progressively load the bar as you get stronger.

All you need to get stronger for golf (and life) are squats, presses (standing overhead and bench) and pulls (deadlines, chin ups and power cleans).

Do them correctly and you will not limit your flexibility. Program them smartly and you will not get injured (I am dealing with an injury because I deviated from my program which is dumb on my part).

The biggest thing to remember is you don't get stronger from lifting weights. You get stronger from recovering from lifting weights. Eat and sleep is recovery.

The best resource I have found for lift instruction and programing is Starting Strength from Mark Rippetoe. It isn't easy. It's damn hard work. But if it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

If you said you want to lose 50, 100, 150 pounds, then this is a different conversation.

Please feel free to ask specific queations.

Has anyone out there used a suspension trainer for general or golf specific fitness? I just purchased a Jungle Gym XT on woot and am planning on using it to increase my flexibility and work on increasing swing speed. The TRX website has some golf specific workouts that I am going to try, but just wanted to see if anyone one here has experience.

I'd also love to get one of the TRX rip trainers. I think it would be great for golf, but I'm going to stick with the suspension training for now.

Blu I agree maximum strength will not reduce flexibility. The lack of stretching will reduce flexibility.

Bare with me. I have thought about this a lot and it may fly in the face of conventional wisdom. but I believe I am 100% correct.

First premise I would like you to accept, lifting heavy weights or maximizing strength will not reduce flexibility. If you do a chin up from a dead hang your arms will be a certain length. If you do that same chin up with 90 extra pounds hanging off of you, the distance you must travel to get your chin above the bar is the same. If you do a barbell squat where your hip joint goes below your knee, that distance doesn't change if you do body weight or 800#s. Flexibility is lost when lifting with reduced range of motion. This reduced range of motion facilitates a "pump", when blood saturates the muscle belly adding size. You may hear a gym Bro calling this "getting swol". Perfect example of being strong like bull and not losing flexibility is Jason Zuback.

Second premise, the only "golf specific movement" that will add swing speed is a golf swing. Any cable rotation type movement is slower than your golf swing. If you do those, you're training your body to rotate slower. Don't do them.

If you want to get stronger for golf, it's the same as just getting stronger. The stronger your hips, glutes, lats, and shoulders are the stronger you are for everything. Not just golf.

Lifting with your feet on the floor is key. Lifting with compound movements is key (the golf swing is a compound movement).
Isolation lifts like curls, tricep kickbacks, and calf raises are dumb. muscles are not meant to function in isolation. Machines are dumb. They force you into their range of motion, not your own range of motion.

The fastest way to get strong is with barbells. You can efficiently lift heavy weights over the most effective range of motion and you can progressively load the bar as you get stronger.

All you need to get stronger for golf (and life) are squats, presses (standing overhead and bench) and pulls (deadlines, chin ups and power cleans).

Do them correctly and you will not limit your flexibility. Program them smartly and you will not get injured (I am dealing with an injury because I deviated from my program which is dumb on my part).

The biggest thing to remember is you don't get stronger from lifting weights. You get stronger from recovering from lifting weights. Eat and sleep is recovery.

The best resource I have found for lift instruction and programing is Starting Strength from Mark Rippetoe. It isn't easy. It's damn hard work. But if it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

If you said you want to lose 50, 100, 150 pounds, then this is a different conversation.

Good info on the strength and flexibility. In a perfect scenario I'd love to lose 25 pounds also while doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info on the strength and flexibility. In a perfect scenario I'd love to lose 25 pounds also while doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's very difficult to lose weight and get stronger. Typically, just eating healthier will do the job.

It's very difficult to lose weight and get stronger. Typically, just eating healthier will do the job.

however it may not be losing weight per se but should see a reduction in body fat and an increase in muscle which could equate to seeing the results he might be looking for in regards to his physical appearance.

however it may not be losing weight per se but should see a reduction in body fat and an increase in muscle which could equate to seeing the results he might be looking for in regards to his physical appearance.
You sir, are very correct.

#youdidntneedmetotellyouthat

If anyone is looking to change things up try the "Bring Sally Up, Bring Sally Down" workout. It is to the song Flower by Moby and you can put in any exercise really. You follow the lyrics to the song. When it says Up go up, down go down. I am going to do push ups and 6 inches today with it. I have made it through doing 6 inches but never made the whole song with the pushups. Best I have done with pushups is 2:50 and the song is 3:28.

Its a good workout

If anyone is looking to change things up try the "Bring Sally Up, Bring Sally Down" workout. It is to the song Flower by Moby and you can put in any exercise really. You follow the lyrics to the song. When it says Up go up, down go down. I am going to do push ups and 6 inches today with it. I have made it through doing 6 inches but never made the whole song with the pushups. Best I have done with pushups is 2:50 and the song is 3:28.

Its a good workout

We did that a few times when I was in the Army with pushups. My platoon would turn it into a competition to see who could make it through the entire song without dropping to their knees.

We did that a few times when I was in the Army with pushups. My platoon would turn it into a competition to see who could make it through the entire song without dropping to their knees.

Pushups to this is no joke. I did body weight squats, calf raises, hamstring thrusters, and 6 inches to this yesterday. All were back to back with no rest in between. My legs felt it.

Good start to the long weekend.

Close grip bench press
45 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
215 x 2
225 x 3x5 belt and wraps

Rehab deadlifts
115 x 25
125 x 25
135 x 25

Early morning bike ride. First time on the bike in a year. That was fun/hard.
461ac0c4a7af4142db09dccfe6e71711.jpg

Keep it up Ricky!

DDP Yoga Fat Burner. I try to get into a routine of doing a session after my round so I don't tighten up.

DDP Yoga Fat Burner. I try to get into a routine of doing a session after my round so I don't tighten up.
Fat Burner is my favorite of the workouts.

6.1 miles this morning in 30+minutes. Beautiful morning for a bike ride.

I'm adding Freddie's stretches into my morning pilates routine as of today. Hopefully I don't get sidetracked or forget about it, because my hamstrings REALLY need to loosen up!

My first day back in the gym after a 2 week break nursing some injuries. What I found was that I actually hurt worse when I don't go do something. I can't lift heavy because of a hernia, so I did lower weight, high rep chest and triceps workout during lunch. I'm absolutely smoked now. I never knew 115lbs could put an absolute whooping on your chest when you do sets of 15.

I also weighed in this morning. 173lbs. Ouch. So my goal is to lose 15 lbs before I go to the beach in July. Back on South Beach/Mediterranean.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

FWIW, I would actually argue I've GAINED flexibility in 2 years of heavy lifting - beginning with starting strength. Losing about 20 lbs in that time may have contributed to that too though...

FWIW, I would actually argue I've GAINED flexibility in 2 years of heavy lifting - beginning with starting strength. Losing about 20 lbs in that time may have contributed to that too though...
I wouldn't argue against the 20# loss.

But the Starting Strength model is legit. It's not easy. But it is the single best strength program I have found.

Bench
45 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
235 x 2 belt and wraps
275 x 1 belt and wraps
285 x 3x3 belt and wraps

Rehab Deads
135 x 25
145 x 15
155 x 15

Chins