Considering some new irons. Probably Game Improvement

Carey

Reaction score
Handicap
12ish
I've been playing the Mizuno MP 52 irons for about 5 or 6 years now and finally considering getting something different that might be a little more forgiving. Also not going to lie, it is starting to bother me seeing people hit the same number iron as I am when I used to be at least 2 clubs longer and I still hit it as far as I ever did.

I really liked the feel of the Mizunos and I'm guessing it's because they are forged so wondering what the Forged Game Improvement options might be.

It's not because they are forged. It's because of the materials used and the weighting of the club heads

Mizuno has some nice GI irons. start with the MP-H5s or the JPX-850 Forged

When I got fitted last year, the JPX-850 forged were my definite favorite/pick. That said, if your playing them you gotta swing them to see what you like best.

Relative to how far people hit certain clubs, given the games manufacturers play with loft you really can't let that get into your head.

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged and Bridgestone J15CB would be my two picks. But I also agree with blugold in that you might find a cast club that feels great to you. I don't think you should limit your search.

The Callaway Razor series .. Stupid easy to hit those clubs well. Hard to hit a bad shot really, one big sweet spot

Callaway Apex
Ping I25
Srixon 545
Mizuno 850 Forged

I think all these might be inline of what your looking for.

JPX EZ forged FTW. If you can get past the non traditional (for mizuno) color scheme. Their most forgiving forged iron and one of the most forgiving forged irons from any make, imho.

Plus, they can really put a hurting on the dimpled sphere!

Srixon 545 and Callaway Apex both fit exactly what you are looking for.

Callaway Apex
Ping I25
Srixon 545
Mizuno 850 Forged

I think all these might be inline of what your looking for.
I thought the Ping I series were the players irons and the G was the game improvement

I thought the Ping I series were the players irons and the G was the game improvement

That is actually correct, but the I25, falls more in line with the game improvement category, than a players iron. With the S line being their true player's iron.

FWIW, I am not a fan of the labels, because companies have found a way to blend performance and forgiveness. The lines I mentioned above are some of the best that have come out in the last couple of years at doing that exact thing.

Srixon 545 and Callaway Apex both fit exactly what you are looking for.

Callaway Apex gets my vote.

Those things live up to the praise they receive.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Srixon 545 vote here,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll chime in with another vote for the 545s

Srixon 545 loook to be amazing clubs

I played the MP52's a few years back. Lately I have been playing SLDR irons and like them. They are forgiving and not too huge on the eyes. They are not forged though but I like the feel.

Do the 545s come left handed? Quick eBay search found nothing.

I guess playing backwards may narrow down my search a little

Dont think they do

If you want to stick with Mizuno the JPX-825 or 850 would be a good match for you (non-pro/pro/combo of both). I've had both 825's in the past and liked them both very much. Just keep your MP-52's to practice with occasionally and to remind yourself how much easier the others are to hit!

You can't go wrong with the Apex either, which are more like the 850 pro's, IMO.

Surprised that at page 2 there has been no mention of Taylormade. I'd also be curious to hear opinions on Cobra Irons as I was very impressed when I tried hitting the amp cell hybrid and fairway wood.

Surprised that at page 2 there has been no mention of Taylormade. I'd also be curious to hear opinions on Cobra Irons as I was very impressed when I tried hitting the amp cell hybrid and fairway wood.

Mainly because the RSi are really just...OK. But if you want to go back a bit, the SpeedBlades are one of the best GI irons ever IMO.

I'd look at the 850 Forged if you want to stay Mizzy.

XR are another really good, and long, option.

Mainly because the RSi are really just...OK. But if you want to go back a bit, the SpeedBlades are one of the best GI irons ever IMO.

I don't need to have the latest so the Speedblades will go on the want to try list. The RocketBladez any good?

545s, and the slightly smaller XR pro

I don't need to have the latest so the Speedblades will go on the want to try list. The RocketBladez any good?

Speeds were a REALLY solid improvement IMO, aesthetically and they helped the sound in the long irons a lot with those slots.

Back