Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

Are people getting hung up on playing this off the deck too much? It's a mini driver at the end of the day and not an enlarged fairway wood. Not many people can hit a driver off the deck so I think if you buy this it's meant for off the tee but if you can hit off the deck then that's just a bonus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought it because if I have to hit it off the deck, I can. I rarely hit 3 wood off the deck. If I have 250-260 left, I'm laying up unless the approach can accommodate a miss.

With 270 carry I don't know that you need more of anything. Straighten those misses out and this thing would be deadly for you...assuming you hit it better than driver.
The higher launched shots were hit high on the face. Well struck balls launched at about 10-11. But if I can get the dispersion tighter I'd live with all the rest of the numbers :)

The higher launched shots were hit high on the face. Well struck balls launched at about 10-11. But if I can get the dispersion tighter I'd live with all the rest of the numbers :)
I bet haha.

How does the distance/dispersion compare to your driver?

I bet haha.

How does the distance/dispersion compare to your driver?
Depends on the day... Driver has potential for more distance and bigger misses haha

Are people getting hung up on playing this off the deck too much? It's a mini driver at the end of the day and not an enlarged fairway wood. Not many people can hit a driver off the deck so I think if you buy this it's meant for off the tee but if you can hit off the deck then that's just a bonus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IMO when it's something talked about in the marketing of the club, its worth focusing in on it, especially given the profile. That said, they have at least acknowledged it's for higher swing speeds mostly that will see the success there with it.

I think this club would be an awesome addition to my bag. I have a 16* 4 wood I hit off the tee and off the deck and a 2h I NEVER hit (I can think of once in the last 6-7 rounds I've hit it) so I could pop the 2h out and drop in the mini and never notice the difference.

It might not be a game changer but it could certainly help on certain holes or days I struggle with driver (which hasn't been often with my 815).

That's my ponder.....

I am not hitting my driver that well. It is a on/off club. But when I use my 5w from tee it is solid. Wanting me to either go 3w or mini driver from tee for more consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still have not been able to demo one of these outside because of the wet weather, but did some side by side with the 3Deep on the monitor at PGA. Ball speed and total distance numbers were real close, maybe 1-2 more MPH in ball speed with the Mini. Didn't really get too much of a feel for the dispersion since I did not hit many balls. Not going to be as clear cut as I thought originally. The Deep keeps surprising me since I would never think I would get as good or possibly better results from a more 3 wood type head than I would a more driver type. But, I need to hit one outdoors to really see if one shines over the other.

I have a package arriving tomorrow from callaway. I'm really hoping it's the 14° I ordered. Hoping to take it out to play Wednesday if so

When I was playing my best golf, around 17 years ago, the driver to have was the Big Bertha Warbird. I had one in 10 degrees and I could crush that thing of the tee and on short par 5's had good success of the deck. I took a break from the game for 15 years and when I took up again in 2012 everything had been super sized, 45-46 inch shafts, heads the size of footballs. I just can't get these new drivers off the tee with any consistency. So for now I hit a 2014 Big Bertha 3 wood of the tee to get it down there and keep it on the short stuff

I looked at the specifications and the Callaway mini driver has a shaft length of 44 inches and a head volume of 235cc. That Big Bertha Warbird driver that I used to love had a shaft length of 43 inches and a volume of 195cc. That does not feel that mini to me, but it shows how the game moved on.

So I for one am very interested in the 12 degree, thinking that adjusted to 11 then this could be a great driver and am very much looking forward to getting some first hand feedback on this club. If this can get 10 more yards AND keep it out of the trees then it will find its way into my bag.

Sent from my iPad
My dad plays a 9 degree Hawkeye vft driver as his 3 wood. Kills it off the deck for a 60 year old guy.

I have a package arriving tomorrow from callaway. I'm really hoping it's the 14° I ordered. Hoping to take it out to play Wednesday if so
I love that you are receiving a box from Callaway, and aren't 100% sure even what it is. #clubhoe

I love that you are receiving a box from Callaway, and aren't 100% sure even what it is. #clubhoe
Haha it could be the 60° pm grind. If I'm lucky it's both :)

Course bound.

Will have some data and thoughts this evening for everyone. Hitting it and not driver all day today.

I have gone back and forth about the mini drivers. Granted, I haven't fully committed with a mini driver at any point of the back and forth so it's a bit one sided. Mentally, I would hit a mini, see the results in a good drive/swing and then always think, "Well, it would be 10-15yds further if I'd hit the driver instead." LOL. I know, I know, distance is King.

One day I do think I'll end up with a mini driver, but not a full time gamer in the bag. I think on the right kind of course and the right situations it would be very useful and smart. Will be looking forward to seeing what James and others think of this one.

Well, its an interesting sound.

Well, its an interesting sound.

If the 815 driver sounded and felt like the Mini I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Thanks James. Sound a little like the v series? That's sort of how I imagine it based on your description

Thanks James. Sound a little like the v series? That's sort of how I imagine it based on your description
Nope, v is a solid sound, no metallic ting, this is more a throwback composite sound, not as loud though or resonating

Did just see 1.48 smash and 156 ball speed on last tee

Def seeing a mid high launch, heel miss saw a pretty standard speed drop and fade movement.

Def seeing a mid high launch, heel miss saw a pretty standard speed drop and fade movement.

Curious to hear your thoughts on forgiveness both left, right and up, down on the face.

I'm interested in one of these as well. I have a Harr time releasing my big mondo driver but do not even have to think about it with my 3 wood. Maybe a 12 degree dropped down to 11 could replace my 10 degree drive. Since my 3 wood is point and shoot I wonder if this would be also.

Back