Chipping Question for THP

Pringles

waywardpoints
Reaction score
Handicap
So I don't know if this is a mental thing or what but I have been having some chipping issues this year. It's not really a technique thing but rather a question about grip placement. So typically when I grip a club for a chip shot I will choke down a little bit on the club. I do this to stand closer to it. The problem is that I tend to come up quite a bit and thin some shots. I don't feel comfortable staying down because it's not a normal swing for me. I really only choke down on uphill lies in the fairway but I always do it around the green. Recently I have started to grip normal towards the butt end of the club and obviously am having success.

So the question is...Do you choke down for normal chip shots or do you stay with your hands in a normal position. Curious on your thoughts and why you do what you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't choke down for normal chips.

I think the only clubs I really choke down on for chipping or pitching would be my gap or 54° wedge when I want to not hit it far but want to keep as normal of a swing as possible. Like when I am short sided.

I choke down and also play the ball a good bit back in the stance promoting forward shaft lean throughout. That helps me stay down getting ball first and also avoid the fats.

I personally choke down just a hair.

When you rehearse the shot are you brushing the grass normally and then on the actual shot catching it thin?

Take me through your pre shot routine.

I'm definitely not one to emulate, but I chip heel-up with about the same grip position... occasionally a putter style grip if it is a thick lie

I personally choke down just a hair.

When you rehearse the shot are you brushing the grass normally and then on the actual shot catching it thin?

Take me through your pre shot routine.

It could be an issue with anxiousness and wanting to see the shot but I am assuming I brush the grass fine during preshot but when it comes to the actual shot I end up pulling my chest up a little early and there she goes scooting across the green haha

I'm definitely not one to emulate, but I chip heel-up with about the same grip position... occasionally a putter style grip if it is a thick lie

I've seen your short game dude and it's solid. That's for sure! I like the idea of heel up to prevent any catching or digging. Need to explore a little.

It could be an issue with anxiousness and wanting to see the shot but I am assuming I brush the grass fine during preshot but when it comes to the actual shot I end up pulling my chest up a little early and there she goes scooting across the green haha

I'm not a pro by any means but I would think gripping down isn't the issue. Keep your head down and trust the strike.

I typically choke down a little bit. I feel like it gives me a little more control over the club. I just have to make sure to tell myself to stay down during the chip.

So I don't know if this is a mental thing or what but I have been having some chipping issues this year. It's not really a technique thing but rather a question about grip placement. So typically when I grip a club for a chip shot I will choke down a little bit on the club. I do this to stand closer to it. The problem is that I tend to come up quite a bit and thin some shots. I don't feel comfortable staying down because it's not a normal swing for me. I really only choke down on uphill lies in the fairway but I always do it around the green. Recently I have started to grip normal towards the butt end of the club and obviously am having success.

So the question is...Do you choke down for normal chip shots or do you stay with your hands in a normal position. Curious on your thoughts and why you do what you do.

Depends on the distance and type of shot needed. I open my stance a bit and cut across the ball a bit on purpose to give some more spin/control on typical chip/short pitch shots. I don't choke down too much on those though. I really only choke down for really short bump and runs. Other than that, it's maybe an inch.

Depends on the distance and type of shot needed. I open my stance a bit and cut across the ball a bit on purpose to give some more spin/control on typical chip/short pitch shots. I don't choke down too much on those though. I really only choke down for really short bump and runs. Other than that, it's maybe an inch.

I like that man. Like hearing opinions from you guys because it helps me remember stuff I did before these chipping woes haha

I choke down on all chip shots. I stay low and use my arms. This is the proper setup for short game. The stance is open and weight forward.

I go any where from the butt all the way down to the bare shaft (man that sounds bad) depending on how much touch or length I need. I also move the ball position slightly back or forward depending on what I need ie flop, check, run. I don't hinge, just turn my chest back and through, slightly more weight on the front foot.

I'm a big fan of Steve Strickers chipping and have watched many of his videos trying to gleam ideas. Chipping is the strongest part of my game, as I practice it more than anything else.

I always choke down - the amount depending on how far I need to fly the ball. I choke down more for shorter shots and less for longer ones.

Right there with ya buddy but my chipping has gotten a ton better this year. Playing more helps but also did a few things FK Panda told me and been taking the club head a tad bit on the inside/out plane that has helped me keep the face open just a bit longer helping me use the grind of the head a bit more.

Right there with ya buddy but my chipping has gotten a ton better this year. Playing more helps but also did a few things FK Panda told me and been taking the club head a tad bit on the inside/out plane that has helped me keep the face open just a bit longer helping me use the grind of the head a bit more.

Really inside out huh...what is the benefit of that? I have messed with that a little but noticed I'm putting like a draw spin on the ball and it releases quite a bit. Maybe I'm doing it wrong haha

I choke down and place the ball a little back in my stance.

Really inside out huh...what is the benefit of that? I have messed with that a little but noticed I'm putting like a draw spin on the ball and it releases quite a bit. Maybe I'm doing it wrong haha

I have a choppy stroke and when I take it straight back or even outside a bit I tend to chop down on it putting underspin on the ball. The inside out helps me keep the clubface open and square and puts more forward roll on the ball which I have desperately been looking for. Just seems to be cleaner contact for me overall in general.

I have a choppy stroke and when I take it straight back or even outside a bit I tend to chop down on it putting underspin on the ball. The inside out helps me keep the clubface open and puts more forward roll on the ball which I have desperately been looking for. Just seems to be cleaner contact for me overall in general.

That's solid man I'm going to give that a shot as well to see. I just want to be consistent when I chip and I feel more comfortable moving the ball forward and back rather than hands up and down

For a standard chip shot, I don't choke down. For not standing up through the stroke/swing I focus on the pressure under my left foot trying to keep it consistent through back swing and long after the ball is gone.

I choke down on the club, open my stance up, play the ball back in my stance and initiate the shot with a forward press.

I don't choke down at all but I'm 6'3" - tend to get hunched over if I grip down.

I used to be really good at chipping. I practiced almost every evening in my yard to get that way. Then something clicked in my head almost over night and I couldn't chip to save my life. I was so nervous over the ball on little short shots. It was like every move I made was in slow motion in my head. It has taken me almost 6 months to get over this and I'm still not back to where I once was. One thing that helped me physically was to stand a little more upright. I would catch myself all slumped over trying to get closer to the ball. But anyway...To answer your question....I don't choke down on any chip/pitch shot. I just feel more comfortable controlling the shot with my swing.

Pringles...get a video and freddie will sort ya out

I choke down only on very short bump and runs, and then only a little. My swing thought, which I got from a teaching pro, who got it from Paul Runyan, is to make a putting stroke similar to what I would make for a putt of that length. I will vary the club according to how much carry vs roll I seek.

Back