Would you Visit a Sports Psychologist?

I would if cost wasn't a factor, but for now I'll just have to keep reading Dr. Rotella's books.

Yes since that is the weakest part of my game. Cost prevents it though so I just read books =)

Any ideas on books anyone would recommend? I was looking at Gio Valiante and Joseph Parent books on kindle, but didn't buy either of them.

Also, any good ideas on course management. I think I would rather read up on that. Thanks.

I think by the way "some" are answering with words that sort of suggest or resemble an outright "no way" they might be putting too much into just what it means. Some are to feel as though the process means you have to have serious issues. But people may see physiologists for very many things even if very minor simple self help topics about just about anything.

My game is much more hindered by physical and mechanical consistency at my level much more than mental reasons so I wouldn't see one. With time and money already being an issue for very many people I think the process of doing this would further add to an already barley manageable situation in terms of time and money. I would benefit much more from spending that same time and money on more lessons and practicing.

But hey, if mental help is something that is a big struggle for your golf game and if one is willing to admit this then I say it absolutely would help. But like anything mental its all about change and willingness. One can seek all the help they can but it only ever will it work if the person is willing to actually make the efforts and work at it. That for many people can be even far much harder to commit to doing than putting the proper work efforts into the physical and mechanical parts of the game.

I see a psychologist for anxiety and he brings up how I can use certain things in golf all of the time. I've read plenty of books on "playing the game between the ears" and I can say this for me, it's one thing to read a book, it's another to actually be shown the proper way to do a relaxation exercise and then execute it. It's made a world of difference for me, that's for sure. I used to go absolutely mental on the course if things didn't go my way. Now I have a few mechanisms that allow me to let go of the last shot and focus on the next one.

I would check around with a few of the psychiatrists or therapists that are in your medical plan. Some of them may have experience with sports. If nothing else, they can at least help you mitigate your anxiety concerns.

Zen Golf is a pretty good read.

Any ideas on books anyone would recommend? I was looking at Gio Valiante and Joseph Parent books on kindle, but didn't buy either of them.

Also, any good ideas on course management. I think I would rather read up on that. Thanks.

I've read The Unstoppable Golfer and Putting Out of Your Mind and both are very good reads. They don't even read like psych books to me, but if you pay attention to the lessons in them about how to think about golf, they will help. I'm just a mental case on the course, so I will listen for a round or two and the go back to the way I was before.

I need to sit and read them both again.

Thinking about tournament preparation, I started thinking about the mental aspect of the game. We take lessons to improve our swing, to be a better putter, so why not consider seeing a professional to help manage the mental side of the game? In the past I battled various personal issues that were addressed with the help of a psychologist, so maybe there is some credibility to managing your mental golf game with the same route of action. Would you consider it? If you have in the past utilized it, did you see results?

No. No matter how much I love the game, it's not that important to my life. I can't imagine any scenario where paying a psychologist to help my golf game would make sense. I play golf for fun and relaxation, not life and death.

No. No matter how much I love the game, it's not that important to my life. I can't imagine any scenario where paying a psychologist to help my golf game would make sense. I play golf for fun and relaxation, not life and death.

yea, but it doesn't have to be as drastic a measure as one may think.
If one can pay for lessons to help their game then why not pay for help with the mental side if (for that person) it could prove to be jut as beneficial? I know it may not be the norm for the masses and may seem a bit over the top but it also doesn't have to make it any less fun or relaxing or any more or less serious or important than it would be if they were to spend that time and money on lessons. It may seem so to us but to someone else it might be viewed in the same light as nothing more or less than taking lessons.

As an amateur golfer, I doubt it. When looking at the cost alone, I think it would not be something I would do.
I'm with War on this one.

I have read one of Dr. Bob Rotella's book Your 15th Club, it's about the mental side of golf and it helped me a lot. I just couldn't justify the cost of a seeing a Sports Psychologist.

I'm with War on this one.

I have read one of Dr. Bob Rotella's book Your 15th Club, it's about the mental side of golf and it helped me a lot. I just couldn't justify the cost of a seeing a Sports Psychologist.

It is a good book too. I think I need to give that another read.

Jake imagine the wonders they could do inside your head

I'd wind up arguing with the guy and beating his ass up in his office.

I almost want to buy you a session as long as I'm allowed to sit in on it.

I don't think I'd rule it out totally. Reading some of the books that are out there I've learned quite a bit. However I have plenty of other things to worry about prior to spending time on "the couch".

I almost want to buy you a session as long as I'm allowed to sit in on it.
Haha, that would be funny!! Don't you tell me how to think on the got dayum golf course, I've won 2 Morgan Cups buddy!! Then bust him one.

Just based on cost, no, but if money wasn't an object, absolutely, I know it could do wonders for my mental game!

Big NO for me.

Negative, ghostrider. I just don't see the benefit for an amateur to shell out the money for a mental coach that would probably be better spent on lessons.

If it was free I would

I see a psychologist from time to time when I feel the pressures of everyday life. I apply what I learn to my golf game. Staying in the moment, let go once the task has passed and stay calm under pressure

If golf is making someone angry enough to have to get mental help with the game, I don't think golf is something they should be doing. Golf is hard enough for somoene without any anger issues, can't imagine what it would be like if I had anger management issues. I can say though, a couple weeks ago I played the first tournament of the year for us, I had the pleasure of riding with a brand new golfer (38index) playing in his first ever tournament, I could have used a mental coach that day. :)

I think if Time and Chance gave me one im sure I would take advantage.

I see a psychologist from time to time when I feel the pressures of everyday life. I apply what I learn to my golf game. Staying in the moment, let go once the task has passed and stay calm under pressure

That's exactly what it is Freddie. Like I said in my post, I don't see the doc for golf purposes, but he definitely shows me ways to put the tools to use in all situations.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

In a heartbeat. I have the skill and talent to be better I think my mental game could use some work though.

Back