Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

Just wanted to update the TF3 again. My last few rounds I have used the TF3 a few more times, it has performerd so well I think I might take the driver out of the bag and play a round with the TF3 as my longest club. I hit it 17 times in the last four rounds. I hit it 3 times on par three holes with 2 GIR's and one just short which I was able to putt from just off the green. On the other 14 tee shots with it I hit 12 fairways and the other two were no more than 5-10 yards in the rough and very playable. This club is just automatic for me from the tee. I have also hit my driver well as of late. I will update when I play a round with the TF3 as my "driver".

Just wanted to update the TF3 again. My last few rounds I have used the TF3 a few more times, it has performerd so well I think I might take the driver out of the bag and play a round with the TF3 as my longest club. I hit it 17 times in the last four rounds. I hit it 3 times on par three holes with 2 GIR's and one just short which I was able to putt from just off the green. On the other 14 tee shots with it I hit 12 fairways and the other two were no more than 5-10 yards in the rough and very playable. This club is just automatic for me from the tee. I have also hit my driver well as of late. I will update when I play a round with the TF3 as my "driver".

Gotta love that, and I had quite a few roudnds I used it as the driver too. ANy plans on expanding to the 5W or 7W perhaps?

Gotta love that, and I had quite a few roudnds I used it as the driver too. ANy plans on expanding to the 5W or 7W perhaps?

I have a F3 and a F7. The TF3 replaced the F3 which was a good club also, I just like the extra distance and ball flight I get from the TF3. The F3 is available if anyone is interested. I also have a F7 which is a very good club as well, but it is a tee only club for me and I hit the Mashie hybrids so well from the fairway that it gets very little use, it may be on the market as well.

mikedean441 have you considered using a Mashie 3-wood shaft in a driver head? I am considering putting the F3 shaft in a Cleveland Classic 290 club head. I am just curious how long the shaft would turn out, I guess I could always put an extension in the butt end of the shaft. I would like to try it first without putting an extension in the shaft. If anyone has experience with this shaft in a driver head please let me know how it worked out and what length it plays at. My best guess is with the Cleveland Classic head being so deep it would have to be between .50" and 1.25" longer than the F3 plays.

Last edited:
I have a F3 and a F7. The TF3 replaced the F3 which was a good club also, I just like the extra distance and ball flight I get from the TF3. The F3 is available if anyone is interested. I also have a F7 which is a very good club as well, but it is a tee only club for me and I hit the Mashie hybrids so well from the fairway that it gets very little use, it may be on the market as well.

mikedean441 have you considered using a Mashie 3-wood shaft in a driver head? I am considering putting the F3 shaft in a Cleveland Classic 290 club head. I am just curious how long the shaft would turn out, I guess I could always put an extension in the butt end of the shaft. I would like to try it first without putting an extension in the shaft. If anyone has experience with this shaft in a driver head please let me know how it worked out and what length it plays at. My best guess is with the Cleveland Classic head being so deep it would have to be between .50" and 1.25" longer than the F3 plays.

I have not that about that or went that route. Not sure if Ive heard anyone trying that out, but if you pull it off let us know how it goes for you.

Glad to hear it's working out for you majBC. F5 is continues to be a great option for me. Still kick myself for taking it out of the bag.

Obviously it's out for the SLDR testing right now, but to be a contender for a full time slot, I think that I'd have to reshaft the TF3.

Glad to hear it's working out for you majBC. F5 is continues to be a great option for me. Still kick myself for taking it out of the bag. Obviously it's out for the SLDR testing right now, but to be a contender for a full time slot, I think that I'd have to reshaft the TF3.
What do you think you would re-shaft the TF3 with?Why would you have to re-shaft it?It has performed very well for me as you know from this thread.

What do you think you would re-shaft the TF3 with?Why would you have to re-shaft it?It has performed very well for me as you know from this thread.

Either a Kusala Blue (have one laying around) or a PX 6.0. I put the PX in my F5 and it has made it a real performer for me. Nothing wrong with the stock shaft, PX just works better for my swing.

Nothing wrong with the stock shaft...

+1. I liked the Miyazaki shaft, but it wasn't quite the right fit for me so I swapped it out.

My F7 and F5 really are outstanding; I have never been this comfortable and confident with fairway woods.

The only downside is that my current setup means I have no room for a 4 iron. However, the F7 (which replaces my 4 iron) is so much more versatile that the 4 iron simply doesn't stand a chance of getting back into my bag.

Right now, even with all the cool 2014 gear being released, I have no interest in testing any clubs to replace my F7 and F5 Mashies. Wonderful clubs!

2014-01-17%2008.49.45.jpg

20140117_084946.jpg

Just got a brand new F3, had to give it a little style before I get it dirty

Haven't quite mastered embedding pictures yet ill get it

Last edited:
2014-01-17%2008.49.45.jpg

Just got a brand new F3, had to give it a little style before I get it dirty

You're gonna love out man, mine is still hanging around in my bag because even with new offerings I haven't found an easier to hit 3w for my game. The Mashie is just a classic.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

You're gonna love out man, mine is still hanging around in my bag because even with new offerings I haven't found an easier to hit 3w for my game. The Mashie is just a classic.

Did the pictures post? I only see a little blue box with a question mark.?

Did the pictures post? I only see a little blue box with a question mark.?

Tapatalk is telling me it's broken, not sure if that's just my stupid phone's fault or not though

Tapatalk is telling me it's broken, not sure if that's just my stupid phone's fault or not though

Thanks I didnt think it was working I edited the post with a non embedded attachment thanks, Haven't quite figured out embedding fully from a mobile

The TF3 just keeps performing well for me from the tee, but I have not been able to hit any of the mashie fairway woods from the fairway. The TF3 frees up my F3, if anyone is interested in a F3 just let me know.

Just picked up a 3 FW brand new from eBay for $10!!! I love being the only bidder in an auction. I'm still looking for a 4H to fill out my bag while you can still find them... these things are dirt cheap right now.

These are super cheap on the bay right now. I got a 3 hybrid and 3 fairway both brand new for $65 total.

I've noticed that these things don't seem to launch super high. Is that normal? They both had really good distance, just weren't going up in the air as much as I expected.

These are super cheap on the bay right now. I got a 3 hybrid and 3 fairway both brand new for $65 total.

I've noticed that these things don't seem to launch super high. Is that normal? They both had really good distance, just weren't going up in the air as much as I expected.

They were pretty solid launching when I was gaming them, but the 3w was def lower than the 5w (and its why I ended up carrying just the 5w).

Such solid clubs, and at that price a steal IMO.

I game both the 14 degree 3 wood and the 5 wood. I would call them mid launching. I also have the 15.5 degree 3 wood but don't really see much difference in it in terms of launch and distance from the 5 wood. I was gaming it when I was carrying my bag so I replaced 2 clubs with one to lighten the load a bit. Been collecting bust since I went to a push cart.

I bought a 5 wood because of this thread. I think the fact that it is shorter in length than other 5 woods makes me more consistent. Its practically point and shoot. I go from driver to mashie 5 wood.

Yeah, they weren't low launching, maybe mid or mid-low? I would describe it as piercing though, I don't usually see shots stay in the air that long without going so high.

Now I'm tempted to hoard these clubs and sort out the gaps later. Ridiculously cheap.

Yeah, they weren't low launching, maybe mid or mid-low? I would describe it as piercing though, I don't usually see shots stay in the air that long without going so high.

Now I'm tempted to hoard these clubs and sort out the gaps later. Ridiculously cheap.

They are all very good clubs. The 7-wood is the sleeper in this group, a very good club with nice, piercing ball flight. I'm more of a hybrid guy and have all of the mashie hybrids and they are solid as well. Very good value on these clubs now too.

They were low launchers for me. I honestly struggled with the FWs off of the deck. They were great from a tee though.

You can definitely hoard at the price point. Before doing so, check out the Mashie+. I personally liked that better than the original Mashie and the leading edge is more similar to the FW.

I ended up ordering get the 5 fairway and 4 hybrid to go with the 3 fairway and 3 hybrid. Still waiting on delivery.

Took the 3 fairway and hybrid today for the first time, pretty good. Here's a shot by shot rundown.

3rd hole 300 yards, used the 3 wood, hit it a bit low on the face and it flew low with a bit of fade action, still went 215 yards.

4th hole 350 yards, 3 wood, smoked it down the middle but lost the ball in the leaves. Likely went 230-240.

5th hole, pulled hybrid, smoked it again dead straight and long, 215 past the fairway and then lost again in the leaves.

6th hole, wood, mishit and it went low maybe 150 yards. Hybrid punch out from rough next to a tree went about 100 yards in the fairway.

8th hole fairway wood, smoked it 239 in the fairway. 250 is about as long as I hit with my driver by the way. Thought I caught it low, maybe not. It kept low but just went forever.

9th hole again wood, pulled it a bit and it only went 230 down a bit of a hill.

So what I've learned, big thing no slices! I haven't used much over my 5 iron due to slicing issues but nothing at all today. I've made some big swing changes to straighten out though.

Distance is also surprising. 200 carry with the 3 hybrid and 225 carry with the wood is really nice. Last time I was on a trackman I only hit driver 235 total. Again, swing changes I'm hitting much better. Still, I'm 5'7 and 25-30 handicap I will take 230 from my 3 wood all day.

One weird thing is the sound. It's a huge crack, like a persimmon almost, not at all like a modern wood. It's weird but it works.

I want to cut the 3 down an inch or so, maybe the hybrid half an inch, and put the 5w and 4h shorter too to fill gaps. Winter project.

I ended up ordering get the 5 fairway and 4 hybrid to go with the 3 fairway and 3 hybrid. Still waiting on delivery.

Took the 3 fairway and hybrid today for the first time, pretty good. Here's a shot by shot rundown.

3rd hole 300 yards, used the 3 wood, hit it a bit low on the face and it flew low with a bit of fade action, still went 215 yards.

4th hole 350 yards, 3 wood, smoked it down the middle but lost the ball in the leaves. Likely went 230-240.

5th hole, pulled hybrid, smoked it again dead straight and long, 215 past the fairway and then lost again in the leaves.

6th hole, wood, mishit and it went low maybe 150 yards. Hybrid punch out from rough next to a tree went about 100 yards in the fairway.

8th hole fairway wood, smoked it 239 in the fairway. 250 is about as long as I hit with my driver by the way. Thought I caught it low, maybe not. It kept low but just went forever.

9th hole again wood, pulled it a bit and it only went 230 down a bit of a hill.

So what I've learned, big thing no slices! I haven't used much over my 5 iron due to slicing issues but nothing at all today. I've made some big swing changes to straighten out though.

Distance is also surprising. 200 carry with the 3 hybrid and 225 carry with the wood is really nice. Last time I was on a trackman I only hit driver 235 total. Again, swing changes I'm hitting much better. Still, I'm 5'7 and 25-30 handicap I will take 230 from my 3 wood all day.

One weird thing is the sound. It's a huge crack, like a persimmon almost, not at all like a modern wood. It's weird but it works.

I want to cut the 3 down an inch or so, maybe the hybrid half an inch, and put the 5w and 4h shorter too to fill gaps. Winter project.

Nice update. Killer distances. I thought the FWs were best from a small tee.

If you start hooking the Mashie hybrids, check out the + model. They have less offset and for me were straighter and better performing. I think they're hit or miss because JB, majBC and others seem to prefer the first gen.

Back