Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

I do miss thin a lot, but I'm not sure I would point to the sole design. The reason is because I routinely play another Ginty styled fairway (Tour Edge Trilogy) and never, ever hit that thing thin. I can be on some extremely thin grass (including rock hard mats) and get a clean hit out of it.

I think it actually has more to do with the head's CG and the shaft's kick profile. For some reason, those don't seem to match up to my swing well. Something about the whole setup feels awkward to me and I just can't put my finger on it. If the ball is teed up 1/2 an inch helping me get under it, then everything is just fine.[/QUOT

The sole design on the mashie F3 should help with fat shots more than thin shots so try to hit it fat and see what happens. Ball position has always been very important for me with all clubs, you might play around with ball position before giving up on the F3. If it becomes only a tee club you might go back to the LT2W, just a thought. Good luck and hope this helps.

Last edited:
majBC: You are correct. If the F3 is tee only, then I'm better off with a LT2W filling the two slot. It is longer and has a bigger face. A fairway wood that I can't hit off of the fairway isn't of much good to me.

The odd thing is that I was intentionally trying to hit it fat last night sometimes. The results were about the same. Maybe it is the ball position. I'll play with that next time.

Skibumgolfer: Maybe that is it. I have classically been a slicer, so I have developed a very slow swing and an early release to stop that nonsense. Maybe I'm just too early for these? The Trilogy just rocketed up in the air upon contact and I think it might have an even softer tip. That's sort of why I was leaning to head CG. I'm kind of at a loss though and think it might just be mental. Teed up, I am perfectly fine.

It is kind of a shame because I really love the looks, sole design, head over and shaft graphics. Heck, I'm on my second stint with Mashie fairways because I want to love them so badly. ;)

How much harder is the 14 degree to hit than the 15.5? I had been clobbering my 15.5 until I got a weird lie Thursday and had a awkward swing and my shaft broke. At the prices these things are going for it'd be much cheaper for me to just go ahead and get another rather than buying a new shaft and getting it installed. I don't get why these are going for so cheap because they're great clubs. Thanks for the help and opinions as always guys!

Better yet, how much easier would the 5 wood be to hit and how much distance loss would I see compared to the 3 wood?

Better yet, how much easier would the 5 wood be to hit and how much distance loss would I see compared to the 3 wood?

That will depend entirely on the golfer. I found the F5 easier to hit but on well struck shots the F3 was probably 20 yards longer

I've moved away temporarily from the F3, but it might not be permanent. I hit some good shots with it, and I hit some read duds as well. I think I'm going to be a little better off with a more shallow fairway wood, at least from the deck.

I've moved away temporarily from the F3, but it might not be permanent. I hit some good shots with it, and I hit some read duds as well. I think I'm going to be a little better off with a more shallow fairway wood, at least from the deck.

I was reading about your issues with this club and thought I'd ask... have you tried opening up the face a little at address?
When I first got my F3, I had trouble making the transition from my reliable TaylorMade V-steel 4 wood. My course has very tight lies and for a few weeks I struggled with thin shots, blaming the rails for not letting the club get low enough in the turf for a solid hit. Then by a blind stroke of luck, I tried the F3 a ball or so farther up in my stance with the club being a little open (or at least appearing that way to me). The result was a great looking shot down the fairway, and I've been very pleased with my F3 from that moment on.

Interesting, Im struggling with the same

Money off the tee but not catching them crisp anymore off the deck.

Obviously the Indian, but maybe the more shallow face would work better

Same here. I actually went back to my older Cleveland FL fairway woods. I just never saw the same consistency with the Mashie fairway woods.

Mike and KellyBo: it's definitely the Indian with me, but I'm just not all that comfortable with it off the deck. I've left the Mashie twice now and might come back again. I do like the look, shaft, sound and head cover.

Arkie: I kind of tried everything. Obviously it was my swing and something that I wasn't doing correctly. For every one I'd stripe down the middle, I'd hit a duck hook or long slice. I just never established the confidence in the club that I have with the hybrids. It obviously works for a lot of people, so it is just me.

Tonight, my recently reshafted F3 (RIP Alpha 60s) will be going head-to-head with what recently kicked it out of the bag... a Cleveland AMP 4 wood. To my eye, the AMP is more pleasing to look down at but performance will be the deciding factor.

FWIW, the F7 with D+ Whiteboard has been great over the past few weeks... really great. My confidence with this club and the results are the reason I'm giving the F3 a chance to fight back against its replacement. Interested to see how it goes.

mab13: I really like the F7. To me, that's just a different beast from the F3. It's almost a hybrid.

I just like the M2/M3 better than the F5/F7. If I didn't like the M2/M3 so much, I'd definitely game a F7.

Hit some amazing shots with the F3 over the weekend with a very powerful trajectory that also rolled well... but consistency wasn't quite where I'd like it to be. There is no doubt that my best shots with the F3 are longer than my best with the AMP 4 wood (16.5*), but the AMP is more consistent. No surprises there really.

Decision still not made at this stage...

Quick update - F3 with RIP Alpha is in the bag.

The AMP is a great club but more akin to the F7 than the F3; it's a fairly high trajectory with limited roll. I really want a 3 wood for pounding into a par 5 in two, no doubt landing short and trying to roll it up close or even on. The F3 gives me that but, as one would imagine, at the expense of the consistency that the higher loft AMP 4 wood offers.

Just returned from the range this evening and had a few rolling up to the back fence at over 250yds, which is huge for me with a 3 wood off the deck.

For now, the Mashie Fairway pairing are in the bag...

wrong thread....

Quick update - F3 with RIP Alpha is in the bag.

The AMP is a great club but more akin to the F7 than the F3; it's a fairly high trajectory with limited roll. I really want a 3 wood for pounding into a par 5 in two, no doubt landing short and trying to roll it up close or even on. The F3 gives me that but, as one would imagine, at the expense of the consistency that the higher loft AMP 4 wood offers.

Just returned from the range this evening and had a few rolling up to the back fence at over 250yds, which is huge for me with a 3 wood off the deck.

For now, the Mashie Fairway pairing are in the bag...

I always seemed o have a little trouble controlling the F3, however the F5 is about the easiest ad most reliable club I have ever had in my bag.

I always seemed o have a little trouble controlling the F3, however the F5 is about the easiest ad most reliable club I have ever had in my bag.

Agreed. The F5 really was the best of this line for me. More consistent than the F3 or even the F7 for me.

Agreed. The F5 really was the best of this line for me. More consistent than the F3 or even the F7 for me.

I don't know anyone that has gamed it for any length of tie that hasn't felt this way. That says a ton.

After putting the F5 back in the bag for a couple of rounds, I'm kind of questioning my judgement in taking it out... Everything today was off the tee, but I was really happy with the results. Hit some of the better FW tee shots I've had in a long while. Distance wasn't pured Stage 2 3W distance, but it was easily even or further than the S2 5W, and I feel like I have a solid hold on where the ball is going to go. It's back. Just a great club for me.

I recently dropped my F3 in favour of the 15* LS Hybrid and am thoroughly enjoying the change.

However, my F7 still features. Its towering (but not ballooning) flight and ability to hold greens from way out makes it a great bedfellow for the LSP, the latter giving a stronger more piercing trajectory which I prefer from even further out / off the tee.

The F7 is a keeper and will be rotated in and out on the basis of the courses and conditions being played.

I recently dropped my F3 in favour of the 15* LS Hybrid and am thoroughly enjoying the change.

However, my F7 still features. Its towering (but not ballooning) flight and ability to hold greens from way out makes it a great bedfellow for the LSP, the latter giving a stronger more piercing trajectory which I prefer from even further out / off the tee.

The F7 is a keeper and will be rotated in and out on the basis of the courses and conditions being played.

The F7 was a solid club for me as well! I think with the addition of the J40 4H, that gap is small enough that I don't have to worry about it... TBH, I feel like I can generally take enough off the F5 to cover me when I need it.

The F7 was a solid club for me as well! I think with the addition of the J40 4H, that gap is small enough that I don't have to worry about it... TBH, I feel like I can generally take enough off the F5 to cover me when I need it.

That makes complete sense, with a 4h I can't see that you would have a need for the F7... pushing the 4h or taking a little off your F5 should see you well covered.

Unfortuately, I've never hit the F5 as I made the decision many moons ago that I only wanted the one club between my 3 wood and my lowest iron at the time which was my 5 iron... and I felt the F7 best covered that gap. However, reading through 164 pages of reviews, it really does seem the F5 was the sweet spot... but it's simply a longer club than I need.

Welcome back to Mashie enjoyment. :)

That makes complete sense, with a 4h I can't see that you would have a need for the F7... pushing the 4h or taking a little off your F5 should see you well covered.

Unfortuately, I've never hit the F5 as I made the decision many moons ago that I only wanted the one club between my 3 wood and my lowest iron at the time which was my 5 iron... and I felt the F7 best covered that gap. However, reading through 164 pages of reviews, it really does seem the F5 was the sweet spot... but it's simply a longer club than I need.

Welcome back to Mashie enjoyment. :)

It's good to be back! I think you made the right choice. The F7 was good as well, I just didn't use it as often. I use my 4H all the time as it's a straight 4I replacement for me as the F7 was more of a 3I/H distance club. 200-210 is not a number I see too much of. I'm at 190-200 or 210 and above much more often it seems.

I don't know anyone that has gamed it for any length of tie that hasn't felt this way. That says a ton.

Just picked up an F5 a couple of weeks ago cheap. Everything I've read on this forum is spot on about this club. First hole off the tee, easily carried 220, I was misaligned and found the rough so I don't know what it would have been with roll out, but it was definitely love at first strike.

TF3 is inbound. Going to play the stock shaft for a bit while I decide whether I want to put the Kusala in there or another PX. Let the tee alternative experiment begin!

Back