Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

After playing the M3 for a few months and absolutely loving it, I got the M2 a few weeks ago and it's the best hybrid I've ever had! I'm now madly in love with the Mashie line. I just ordered the F3 15.5 Stiff for $79!! I can't wait to get this one. I've been playing the Cleveland Launcher DST for a few years and always been happy with it, so it will be fun to do a side by side comparison. I just wish I'd have bought in to the Mashie line sooner!

Just wanted to add- holy crap I hit this thing beautifully today. First round with it, used it on nearly every tee shot. Couple tops and one push (case of Indian not the arrow), but I was walloping it. Did a great job keeping it low enough not to be affected by the wind, and got consistent roll outs over 250 yards, a couple closing in on 300- keep in mind I am at roughly 4800 ft above sea level.

Just wanted to tell anyone pondering, this thing is a game changer for me. And they are dirt cheap right now

Agreed - they really are great clubs.

I've just reshafted my F7 with a whiteboard and plan to play over the weekend. The F7 can, on occasion, balloon on me with the Miyazaki... so thought it worth an experiment.

Looking for a slightly stronger flight and just a few more yards.

Agreed - they really are great clubs.

I've just reshafted my F7 with a whiteboard and plan to play over the weekend. The F7 can, on occasion, balloon on me with the Miyazaki... so thought it worth an experiment.

Looking for a slightly stronger flight and just a few more yards.

Interested to see how that works out for you. I'm still gaming the PX 6.0 in my F5 and the results have been similar to what you're looking for. Got a round this weekend and depending on the outcome, there will likely be an F3 & F7 in the MP soon.

Interested to see how that works out for you. I'm still gaming the PX 6.0 in my F5 and the results have been similar to what you're looking for. Got a round this weekend and depending on the outcome, there will likely be an F3 & F7 in the MP soon.

The more sensible option for me would have been to buy a stock shaft F5, and sell the F7... but where's the fun in that. :-D

I'll report here how it works out.

The more sensible option for me would have been to buy a stock shaft F5, and sell the F7... but where's the fun in that. :-D

I'll report here how it works out.

Sensible shmensible. Nothing wrong with some tinkering. Especially this time of year.

Well… I like it!

The club was shafted with the D+ Whiteboard on Saturday morning, was used at the range on Saturday afternoon (I love this quickset epoxy!) and was used for a round on Sunday.

The increase in weight was noticeable with the heavier shaft and grip; I built the club such that swingweight was equivalent, but the increase in overall weight (around 30g) was, as I say, noticeable. This was not a negative; in fact, I may have preferred it. The additional weight felt a little more solid / stable and I felt it allowed me to maintain my desired swingplane that bit better.

Ballflight is where I saw the biggest difference. The trajectory was lower (certainly not what I would describe as low, just lower) but way more powerful. The ballooning I experienced on occasion with the Miyazaki was significantly reduced; in fact, I hit only one semi ballooning shot over the two days and that was due to a poor / weak swing and contact.

I nutted a few on my Sunday round and they really did exhibit the flight and length I was after. They flew high, flat and long. They also stopped quickly and gave me a nice gap from my 4 iron. Perfect. The course was very soggy, but I still expect the ball would stop pretty quickly in more pleasant playing conditions; this is important as I want the 7 wood to be my 200-210 yard club into greens (I dropped my 2 iron a good few years ago now!).

Regarding the shaft, I didn’t think the D+ Whiteboard was obviously smoother than other premium shafts. For example, my Amp / Motore F1 combination feels luuuuurvely when struck anywhere even approaching the middle of the face. Shafts are a fairly personal thing so take what you will from that.

My overall conclusion is that a stiffer tip, higher kickpoint shaft gives me the change / improvement in ballflight that I was looking for. Whether or not I stick with the D+ Whiteboard or (unecessarily) test alternative shaft options remains to be seen. But I don’t see me switching the Miyazaki back in… not that it’s a bad shaft (it’s not, quite the contrary), but there are better options in this head for the shots I want to play.

It's also got me thinking about the Mashie F3.

Can anyone say Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7...? :D

Last edited:
The Whiteboard shafted Mashie F7 had another outing to the range last night. This really is a great combination! The ballflight was excellent, the dispersion was excellent, the distance was excellent - I can see this combo being a keeper.

Given how well the Motore F1 has been working in my driver, I've now installed one in my Mashie F3. I'm not a 3-wood-off-the-tee kinda guy... I would typically hit driver, Mashie F7 or 5 iron. The 3 wood is typically used for distance from the fairway on par 5s (or par 4s where I duff a drive :) ). Accordingly, I thought the 65g shaft would work well and will likely butt trim to 43.25" giving an extra 0.5" over stock length.

Will keep you posted with how the F3 experiment goes...

F5 stood it's ground against a pretty stout field of the current 5 woods and hybrids today. My best shot was 10 yards past my best with anything else and only the X Hot 5W approached my average shots. Never should have doubted it. The PX shaft really does work well in this one for me. I'm still seeing a pretty high ball flight, but that's ok as the distance is still there and my shots are definitely a little more consistent.

F3 & F7 will be up in the marketplace once I have time to take some pics if anyone is interested.

JonD what length shaft is the PX in your F5?

It was raw when I got it and I asked them to get as close to the stock as they could after tipping & trimming. I think it's maybe .25" longer, if that.

Would that be 43"?
I get a high ball flight and the R-flex seems to be a weak R-flex to me as I draw the ball with my F3 and F7 from the tee they have not worked we'll for me off the deck but our fairways are still dormant so will have to wait until the summer to know for sure.

Would that be 43"?
I get a high ball flight and the R-flex seems to be a weak R-flex to me as I draw the ball with my F3 and F7 from the tee they have not worked we'll for me off the deck but our fairways are still dormant so will have to wait until the summer to know for sure.

42.5ish I'd say. I had the same issue with the C Kua. Just a touch soft for me as I get better. The PX addressed that. It's good to have a stout shaft in this thing as it begs you to pound on the ball with it.

Yea I was thinking of the F3 and I believe the F5 was standard at 42.25".
You had the F3,F5, and F7 didn't you?
Everyone seems to feel the F5 is the Mashie FW that stands out and I am not sure why that is, if you have any ideas please expound.

Yea I was thinking of the F3 and I believe the F5 was standard at 42.25".
You had the F3,F5, and F7 didn't you?
Everyone seems to feel the F5 is the Mashie FW that stands out and I am not sure why that is, if you have any ideas please expound.

Ah. Yeah, basically add .25" to the stock length.

I'm in the group that loved the F5 obviously. Still do. I think that I could technically go driver > F5 > irons if I had to. Off the tee it's pretty beastly for me. Usually 220ish, but if I really go after it I can go longer. Easy to hit off the deck, with just a little less distance than off the tee. I can also flight this club a little, which is something I can't do with anything else north of my irons. Move the ball up a bit to get a lower running shot. Put it in the middle and hit down to get a nice high shot that actually has some decent spin on it. FWIW, I can/could do the same with the F7. Never felt comfortable enough to mess with the F3 like this. Only hit that like a traditional FW

The F3 for me was just ok. I hit it pretty solid off the tee but hitting off the deck was a little bit of a crap shoot. Struggled with consistent contact. Demo'd the X Hot and it was just longer for me and straighter, so I went that way.

F7 was a good club for me. Towards the end of last year, I got into a situation where I was losing all of these right. Part of that was me and part of that was the shaft being just a touch soft for me. PX seemed to fix that in the F5 and the F3 (off the tee at least). To be honest, I just wanted to try the Bridgestone hybrids. That's the main reason I pulled the F7. Maybe I need to throw the PX in the F7... You've now sparked a new plan. Thanks! My club builder thanks you for the business! :alien: If the F7 ends up pairing well with the PX, I may roll with that instead of the 3H... Can you tell I like to tinker?

If I had to rate these clubs in an order, it would go F5>F7>F3 for me. Hope that helps.

It does help, and keep us informed if you change shafts in the F7 and how it works out for you. The Mashie hybrids (original ones) have been very good for me and I just seem to hit hybrids better that fairway woods.

It does help, and keep us informed if you change shafts in the F7 and how it works out for you. The Mashie hybrids (original ones) have been very good for me and I just seem to hit hybrids better that fairway woods.

Will do. It's definitely gonna happen. Probably not until next week though. I'm the opposite. I usually hit FWs better. The J40s are the only hybrids I hit well that don't get all hooky on me.

JonD - what weight PX did you install?

I have seen a great deal on a PX 7C3, which has me intrigued... these were expensive shafts 18 months ago but people seem to have fallen out of love with them. May give it a whirl in the F3 if the Motore F1 doesn't work out.

JonD - what weight PX did you install?

I have seen a great deal on a PX 7C3, which has me intrigued... these were expensive shafts 18 months ago but people seem to have fallen out of love with them. May give it a whirl in the F3 if the Motore F1 doesn't work out.

Standard PX 6.0. The blue ones. Got a guy to accept $70 for two on eBay. Definitely a more stout offering. If I get out of work in time, I'll be dropping the F7 off to get the same shaft installed today.

Standard PX 6.0. The blue ones. Got a guy to accept $70 for two on eBay. Definitely a more stout offering. If I get out of work in time, I'll be dropping the F7 off to get the same shaft installed today.

Thanks.

I think it will make a world of difference to the F7. The launch characteristics of the PX are not vastly different to the Whiteboard I have in mine... and I love the Whiteboard setup based on the 3 outings its had so far.

Good luck leaving on time. :-D

Thanks.

I think it will make a world of difference to the F7. The launch characteristics of the PX are not vastly different to the Whiteboard I have in mine... and I love the Whiteboard setup based on the 3 outings its had so far.

Good luck leaving on time. :-D

Hope you're right. It's a fun club to hit. If it works out, the F7 may work it's way back into the bag. I like the J40s but performance is king. :D

Ah. Yeah, basically add .25" to the stock length.

I'm in the group that loved the F5 obviously. Still do. I think that I could technically go driver > F5 > irons if I had to. Off the tee it's pretty beastly for me. Usually 220ish, but if I really go after it I can go longer. Easy to hit off the deck, with just a little less distance than off the tee. I can also flight this club a little, which is something I can't do with anything else north of my irons. Move the ball up a bit to get a lower running shot. Put it in the middle and hit down to get a nice high shot that actually has some decent spin on it. FWIW, I can/could do the same with the F7. Never felt comfortable enough to mess with the F3 like this. Only hit that like a traditional FW

The F3 for me was just ok. I hit it pretty solid off the tee but hitting off the deck was a little bit of a crap shoot. Struggled with consistent contact. Demo'd the X Hot and it was just longer for me and straighter, so I went that way.

F7 was a good club for me. Towards the end of last year, I got into a situation where I was losing all of these right. Part of that was me and part of that was the shaft being just a touch soft for me. PX seemed to fix that in the F5 and the F3 (off the tee at least). To be honest, I just wanted to try the Bridgestone hybrids. That's the main reason I pulled the F7. Maybe I need to throw the PX in the F7... You've now sparked a new plan. Thanks! My club builder thanks you for the business! :alien: If the F7 ends up pairing well with the PX, I may roll with that instead of the 3H... Can you tell I like to tinker?

If I had to rate these clubs in an order, it would go F5>F7>F3 for me. Hope that helps.

Was yours the 14* TF3?

Was yours the 14* TF3?

Nope. Standard F3. The off the deck stuff is the indian though. Just didn't work out.

Nope. Standard F3. The off the deck stuff is the indian though. Just didn't work out.

I found my TF3 to be too long to hit off the deck consistently. When I force myself to choke down on it, my results are always much better. I'm going to cut it down a bit just so it feel more natural at address. That may force me to lose a few yards when using it off the tee, but I prefer accuracy over distance.

Back