COBRA KING 3D Printed and Vintage Series Putters

So I rolled a bunch of stuff today over lunch. There were certainly putter brands I rolled that felt better, and some that looked a little better to my eye, but time and time again I would get a stroke where I would hear the balls skidding a bit off the face. Maybe not every stroke when I caught it right, but certainly a good number, especially on longer putts.

When I pulled the Cobra putters off the rack, I can’t recall a single one where I heard the skid with either the Supernova or the Agera. The DLT face technology is just so good for my delivery.

I know I can practice more to get that consistent stroke, but why not get the technology assist?

No I’m not sold on SIK face technology.
I’m obviously a believer so not going to try to convince you otherwise so this comes a place of pure curiosity.

What about it, or your experience rolling it, makes you not sold on the tech?

(and happy to answer any questions directly you may have)

I’m obviously a believer so not going to try to convince you otherwise so this comes a place of pure curiosity.

What about it, or your experience rolling it, makes you not sold on the tech?

(and happy to answer any questions directly you may have)
More than anything I don't understand the assistance of variable face tech.
I would be more than happy to listen to your experience and your understanding of tech.

More than anything I don't understand the assistance of variable face tech.
I would be more than happy to listen to your experience and your understanding of tech.
So my understanding is that as amateur golfers we don't do a great job keeping a consistent shaft lean into the ball when putting. At times we may lean the handle slightly forward, hitting down on it, and at times we lean the handle back, hitting slightly up on it. I'm guessing you've seen this image on the website depicting it:
1702651366987.png

How it works in my head visually with my mental model, is like the image below (Exaggerated for explanation purposes). Assume both putters come down into the ball following the two black arrows and assume the ball moves in a right angle to how the face strikes the ball. The standard putter, in blue, would strike the ball into the ground, causing it to hop, not roll true, and lose distance. The DLT face putter, in red, follows the same path (black arrows) but the added loft results in the ball moving forward instead of being driven into the ground.

1702653527432.png

The best way to see the tech in action in my opinion, is to take a ball like a srixon divide or taylormade tour response and position the ball with the "line" as the equator. Rolls some putts with a Cobra putter compared to something else. What I have found is that I can see the Cobra get into a roll quicker on average than other putters. If you don't have a ball like that, you may also be able to hear how balls skid more with other putters compared to the Cobra when rolling on tight astroturf. I find it is easier to see and hear that from further away so a big box store with a larger green would be best to experiment.

That has been my experience with it and how I see the tech. It had resonated on course as my putts per round average has dropped by almost two strokes (and my ballstriking or chipping hasn't notably improved). The biggest driver of this is my three putt avoidance.

Attachments

• 1702652539313.png
    1702652539313.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 4
So my understanding is that as amateur golfers we don't do a great job keeping a consistent shaft lean into the ball when putting. At times we may lean the handle slightly forward, hitting down on it, and at times we lean the handle back, hitting slightly up on it. I'm guessing you've seen this image on the website depicting it:
View attachment 9230474

How it works in my head visually with my mental model, is like the image below (Exaggerated for explanation purposes). Assume both putters come down into the ball following the two black arrows and assume the ball moves in a right angle to how the face strikes the ball. The standard putter, in blue, would strike the ball into the ground, causing it to hop, not roll true, and lose distance. The DLT face putter, in red, follows the same path (black arrows) but the added loft results in the ball moving forward instead of being driven into the ground.

View attachment 9230488

The best way to see the tech in action in my opinion, is to take a ball like a srixon divide or taylormade tour response and position the ball with the "line" as the equator. Rolls some putts with a Cobra putter compared to something else. What I have found is that I can see the Cobra get into a roll quicker on average than other putters. If you don't have a ball like that, you may also be able to hear how balls skid more with other putters compared to the Cobra when rolling on tight astroturf. I find it is easier to see and hear that from further away so a big box store with a larger green would be best to experiment.

That has been my experience with it and how I see the tech. It had resonated on course as my putts per round average has dropped by almost two strokes (and my ballstriking or chipping hasn't notably improved). The biggest driver of this is my three putt avoidance.
So it corrects loft for bad ball position or wristy putters.

The ball would need to be 2" out of position at 48" fulcrum to be 3.5° of arc in either in either direction. plus an out of position ball to far back or forward would be struck with an open or closed face respectively.

So it corrects loft for bad ball position or wristy putters.

The ball would need to be 2" out of position at 48" fulcrum to be 3.5° of arc in either in either direction. plus an out of position ball to far back or forward would be struck with an open or closed face respectively.
I’m glad you were able to recognize I drew the figure to scale. I wasn’t sure if you’d be able to pick up the extra 0.5 loft I added 😉

I’m glad you were able to recognize I drew the figure to scale. I wasn’t sure if you’d be able to pick up the extra 0.5 loft I added 😉
I'm sorry, I saw your diagram but didn't see the site diagram viewing on my mobile.
It make sense. Now thinking about it it makes even more sense and would be helpful on longer strokes.
I perceived sarcasm with your scale comment as is chuckled. I get it. ;)

Boom!
Trigger pulled 34” Vintage Stingray

Boom!
Vince Vaughn Party GIF

Anyone tried the Cobra Vintage Widesport? Thinking about pulling the trigger on one. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
I had one in the collection briefly. It rolls great like the rest of them. For me it was a little long heel to toe for my tastes. That made it pretty stable but I don’t like long blade lengths personally.

I know @JDax rolled one last year.

Anyone tried the Cobra Vintage Widesport? Thinking about pulling the trigger on one. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
I had one for about a year and liked it a lot, the only issues that I had was distance control. And went back to a Chicago, but that Widesport is a really good putter.

Boom!
By far the best putter out of the 7 that I own. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

The Agera was really good to me last round out. 30 putts on total,which wasn't the best ever, but when I needed a putt a got it. Was able to find the bottom if the cup and put 3 birdies on the card. Been close all year, but this round finally got some to drop! Had a really good save late in the round too. Hit above the hole on a green that slopes down quite a bit. Was able to sink the putt of about 30 feet. This putt highlights what I love about the Agera. For a large mallet, I think it gives you good touch for these tricky putts. Gets the ball rolling well, so you can use that to better your distance control.

Lag putts were good on all but the first hole. I made the birdie putt opportunities when I was within 7 feet. But more importantly, i continue to gain in confidence each round out.

After another good weekend of putting, including knocking down a a 20+ footer, I am confident that the Widesport with the UST Mamiya All In shaft is the best putter I ahve played. The results I have seen have been exceptional over a long period.

Okay. Now that I have my new putter with an Arccos sensor stuck in it, how the frig to I put my ShotScope sensor on?
I have never had a ShotScope sensor break in my bag so I don’t have experiences with have to cobble something up for it.
I’m probably going to pull the Super Stroke off and replace with a Garson Quad anyway. But what do I do until then?

Okay. Now that I have my new putter with an Arccos sensor stuck in it, how the frig to I put my ShotScope sensor on?
I have never had a ShotScope sensor break in my bag so I don’t have experiences with have to cobble something up for it.
I’m probably going to pull the Super Stroke off and replace with a Garson Quad anyway. But what do I do until then?
Unfortunately I do manual putting mode with shotscope so hopefully someone else can chime in

Back