Pretty much did the exact row as yesterday. A little faster. I always trend to get stronger and faster as the winter rolls on and i am usually in peak shape for the spring. Moving in the right direction at present.

Pretty much did the exact row as yesterday. A little faster. I always trend to get stronger and faster as the winter rolls on and i am usually in peak shape for the spring. Moving in the right direction at present.

Man, 35 S/M. I'd last about 20 seconds at that pace. Maybe one day...

I've been doing it for awhile and i am kind of an obsessive personality which helps. Greatest all around workout in my opinion. Keep at it and you will see good results. Great stress reliever too.

I've got a Concept2 in the garage and it's part of my garage gym. I use it fairly often and it's a great way to get in cardio. I don't do distance all that often though. I do more calorie programs than anything else.

I've been doing it for awhile and i am kind of an obsessive personality which helps. Greatest all around workout in my opinion. Keep at it and you will see good results. Great stress reliever too.
I’m curious about your thoughts on s/m vs split times. I’ve always strived for reducing splits and not focused much on s/m. I aim for sub 2:18 and can get to around 1:56-1:58 with intervals. This is all with s/m in the 18-20 range.

what’s the trade off in terms of productivity? Seems like I’m more aggressive through the drive to get the splits, what’s my gain if I increase the strokes and ease up on the drive?

really interested in hearing your thoughts

Last edited:
I’m curious about your thoughts on s/m vs split times. I’ve always strived for reducing splits and not focused much on s/m. I aim for sub 2:18 and can get to around 1:56-1:58 with intervals. This is all with s/m in the 18-20 range.

what’s the trade off in terms of productivity? Seems like I’m more aggressive through the drive to get the splits, what’s my gain if I increase the strokes and ease up on the drive?

really interested in hearing your thoughts
I am more interested in getting minutes in for an extended time period. Intervals seem to be hard on my 52 yo body. I have always been a very good endurance athlete (running, hiking, biking) and rowing is how I can achieve my goals now. I think interval training is very good, it just isn’t for me.

Had my best row yet since getting my unit. Still not approaching the endurance or stroke rates of you experienced studs, but kept up pretty well on some intervals with fairly high stroke rates.

First session complete: just over 1,600 meters in 11:00, avg. 26 SPM. My goal was around five minutes, but I felt compelled to complete an EXR (rowing app) lap. lol

First session complete: just over 1,600 meters in 11:00, avg. 26 SPM. My goal was around five minutes, but I felt compelled to complete an EXR (rowing app) lap. lol
Gotta start somewhere! Great job getting going.

Might I suggest checking out dark horse rowing to get started. He does a great job going through the mechanics of the stroke and has several workouts to reinforce.

Once you’re comfortable there you’ll find the leaks and really drop the split times. Focus on the mechanics and the time will come. You don’t want to burn yourself out by chasing speed.

Day 2 of this interval set and almost a 2 sec slower split avg. Today felt like a struggle as the sleep pattern is off and didn’t get good sleep last night. Either way feels good to get a session in

FBB34582-58BD-4D88-B0F2-0E55D72E4747.jpeg

Gotta start somewhere! Great job getting going.

Might I suggest checking out dark horse rowing to get started. He does a great job going through the mechanics of the stroke and has several workouts to reinforce.

Once you’re comfortable there you’ll find the leaks and really drop the split times. Focus on the mechanics and the time will come. You don’t want to burn yourself out by chasing speed.
Thanks for steering me to Dark Horse Rowing! There are a couple of beginner routines on there that I’m going to incorporate into my program.

Thanks for steering me to Dark Horse Rowing! There are a couple of beginner routines on there that I’m going to incorporate into my program.
Of course! There are a few fans of Shane here 😉 I still row along with some of the beginner workouts to reinforce the mechanics when it feels like things are coming apart

I have 2 sessions in the books for the new year. My goal is 125 sessions for the year.

Got another good session in this morning. Hitting my stride on the Concept 2.
C718EC3B-02E3-4E37-96D6-85B4D2A1D348.jpeg

Way to row, guys!

Things still going well with my Hydrow. Doing 6 days a week. Only days I've missed are when I had to be out of town. Starting to reach some splits I haven't seen before.

I've still got a long way to go and I'm sure if any rowing coach saw my motion they'd say "whoa...there's a lot wrong there," but as long as I keep grabbing the handle, I'm making progress.

Grinded through one this morning. Numbers were all good but I was looking at the time early on and felt all creaky. I loosened up at about the 22 min mark and was able to power through. Did a little maintenance on the row machine after as well. He may have been feely a little creaky as well o_O.

Things still going well with my Hydrow. Doing 6 days a week. Only days I've missed are when I had to be out of town. Starting to reach some splits I haven't seen before.

I've still got a long way to go and I'm sure if a rowing coach saw my motion they'd say "whoa...there's a lot wrong there," but as long as I keep grabbing the handle, I'm making progress.

Dark Horse Rowing on YT can really help you develop proper form and sequence. It is amazing how much efficiency, speed, distance and endurance increases when you properly utilize the legs-torso-hands sequence. My advice is always to take it as slow as necessary to get the sequence and rhythm correct -- similar to the golf swing. Then it will all fall into place and your enjoyment -- and health benefit -- from the machine will grow exponentially.

Just remember that about 70-75 percent of the rowing effort is in your legs (try to push the machine into the wall!) -- then 20 or so percent in your 11-to-1 torso pull -- and, finally, only 10 or so percent in your arms/hands. Have fun with your Hydrow! That's a great machine.

Dark Horse Rowing on YT can really help you develop proper form and sequence. It is amazing how much efficiency, speed, distance and endurance increases when you properly utilize the legs-torso-hands sequence. My advice is always to take it as slow as necessary to get the sequence and rhythm correct -- similar to the golf swing. Then it will all fall into place and your enjoyment -- and health benefit -- from the machine will grow exponentially.

Just remember that about 70-75 percent of the rowing effort is in your legs (try to push the machine into the wall!) -- then 20 or so percent in your 11-to-1 torso pull -- and, finally, only 10 or so percent in your arms/hands. Have fun with your Hydrow! That's a great machine.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm totally spastic - I think I have the general sequence correct. It's just a matter of continuing to improve from a beginning rower to at least intermediate. On the positive side, I certainly can feel when I've taken a poor stroke.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm totally spastic - I think I have the general sequence correct. It's just a matter of continuing to improve from a beginning rower to at least intermediate. On the positive side, I certainly can feel when I've taken a poor stroke.
Ha! I know you're not ... lol. The fact that you can feel a poor stroke is a great sign. You can't practice that sequence too much. Row on!

I'm ready to get back into rowing - injuries have healed enough. I realized I need to load the ergdata app onto my new phone - but noticed a whole lot of bad reviews about how bad the updated app works.

Anyone have any problems with it now?
Has anyone used this ergzone app?

trying to decide which to load and try

Energy expended, distance/time, and pace are more important. Here are some informative articles from Concept2:

Debunking the Myths: Damper Setting, Stroke Rate and Intensity
Rowing Stroke Rate Explained
Understanding Stroke Rate

I'm not pushing that hard (yet?), but, the highest rate I've done so far was 28 s/m. I briefly hit that, yesterday, after I paused to snug the watch band down on my Apple Watch (it wasn't reading HR) and wanted to make up the distance. (I think my pace was up to 2:18 at that point?) Normally I run between 22 and 24 s/m.

The highest pace I've had, so far. was 2:23, and that was only 22 s/m.

Energy expended, distance/time, and pace are more important. Here are some informative articles from Concept2:

Debunking the Myths: Damper Setting, Stroke Rate and Intensity
Rowing Stroke Rate Explained
Understanding Stroke Rate

I'm not pushing that hard (yet?), but, the highest rate I've done so far was 28 s/m. I briefly hit that, yesterday, after I paused to snug the watch band down on my Apple Watch (it wasn't reading HR) and wanted to make up the distance. (I think my pace was up to 2:18 at that point?) Normally I run between 22 and 24 s/m.

The highest pace I've had, so far. was 2:23, and that was only 22 s/m.
Well said, my fastest splits are generally no higher than 22spm and many times as low as 19spm and around 1:57/500. The speed comes from the drive through the lags at the catch. If I were able to maintain that drive while increasing s/m, my splits would definitely decrease but I also give up recovery time. The spm range I’m in, for now, provides me ample time to recover between strokes so I can maintain the effort.

Wow, a 1:57 pace :eek: I got a ways to go before hitting that kind of pace :ROFLMAO:

Wow, a 1:57 pace :eek: I got a ways to go before hitting that kind of pace :ROFLMAO:
You’ll get there. Do keep in mind that I do a lot of interval training so I go hard for a duration and will have light sessions between. So I may go sub 2 for a distance ( 750-1000m) or time and have 1-2 mins of a 2:25 pace to recover.

Back