You’ll get there. Do keep in mind that I do a lot of interval training ...
I used to do nothing but HIIT, but, I'm way out of condition, CV-wise. So I'm easing back into it with AT-level cardio. Last two rows have aimed to hit my old AT (138 BPM) in 30-minute sessions. I'll do this for a while longer before taking a shot at HIIT.

It’s 5k Monday, guys … let’s go!

D8B16455-7A6A-44E3-9B9B-AC4E541A064F.jpeg

Holy endurance and holy split batman!
I read about it and still don't understand splits or their importance
shake.gif

Very impressive.
Yeah, a 2:01 pace would have me dying after twenty minutes--if I could even make twenty minutes at that pace.

It just so-happens today is a cardio day for me. (I alternate strength-training and rowing days.) I'll go for another 30-minute AT-pace. Should do a bit over 6k.

ETA: T'was not to be for me today. Just didn't have it in me. Was going for a 2:28 pace and just plain ran out of gas approaching 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Well said, my fastest splits are generally no higher than 22spm and many times as low as 19spm and around 1:57/500. The speed comes from the drive through the lags at the catch.
I knew this, because I'd read it, but, I kinda sorta forgot it. Then, yesterday, when I went back to get another ten minutes in, I recalled your comments. I worked to improve power on the drive and slow the return ever so slightly.

The first ten minutes of my first row compared to the ten minutes of my second row:

Row_20230116-1.JPG

Row_20230116-2.JPG

2029 meters in the first ten minutes of my first row, where I'd had my s/m as high as 25, vs. 2040 meters in the second, where I never had it higher than 24, and it was down to 22 near the end. Knocked nearly a second off my pace in the second row, despite being a bit worn out from the first.

I think I could have done even better than that, but, remembering the first row, I purposely slowed my pace a bit to make sure I'd get through the entire ten minutes w/o killing myself :)

That second row did make me sore, though. Really felt it in my back later in the evening.

Did my first two workouts on Concept2, was raring to go again and...got hit with a cold/bronchitis combo! 🤬 I'm almost back to normal, so I plan on resuming training later this week.

Tonight was a grind. Really had to push myself to even get going.

12x250M with :45 rest between intervals. Had 3 intervals creep above 2:00 but maintained a sub 2 avg.

I’m definitely gassed after this one…AD1A6B12-2E06-4855-9AF4-BBCF80CC33A8.jpeg

I think I'll try an intervals program on my C2 today, rather than one continuous row. Just have to come up with a pace I think I can do. I'm thinking ten three-minute intervals, with 2:30 on, 0:30 rest? I think I can probably maintain a pace of 2:00, doing that?

I think I'll try an intervals program on my C2 today, rather than one continuous row. Just have to come up with a pace I think I can do. I'm thinking ten three-minute intervals, with 2:30 on, 0:30 rest? I think I can probably maintain a pace of 2:00, doing that?
Do you have the RowErg app? The WOD today is just as you described.

I’ve got a ways to go for a sub 2 at that interval. By the time I was into interval 7-8, I was getting gassed. Mine were distance based at 250M, meaning I was going hard for right at 1 min before rest.

it took me about 4 months to go from 2:30 to around 2:12 and another 3 or so to get sub 2. I reserve those for short intervals and shoot for around 2:10-2:12 for longer intervals and 2:16-2:18 for my distance rows.

Do you have the RowErg app?
Nope.

I haven't (yet?) embarked on any kind of formal/regular/what-have-you training regimens, either cardio or weight training. I'm just doing what I feel like doing as I feel like doing it :)

The WOD today is just as you described.
I got that one from a C2 page talking about the various interval routines various people at C2 like.

I’ve got a ways to go for a sub 2 at that interval.
I might be biting off more than I can chew ;)

it took me about 4 months to go from 2:30 to around 2:12 and another 3 or so to get sub 2.
My last 30-minute straight row was 2:30 for 30 minutes. My last 20-minute straight row was 2:28, followed by a 10-minute 2:27 row twenty-thirty minutes later.

If figure that, with the 30-second rests, I just might be able to do it. I'll let y'all know. There's a distinct possibility I'm being wildly optimistic :ROFLMAO:

Following-up to myself ...
If figure that, with the 30-second rests, I just might be able to do it. I'll let y'all know. There's a distinct possibility I'm being wildly optimistic :ROFLMAO:
Hahaha! Just a little :ROFLMAO:

30 minutes of intervals (25 on the meter--bit of a brain fart on my part). Managed an average pace of 2:17.3. Max HR of 152. I was aiming for 150.

Best sweat I've worked-up in a long time :love:

I think I'll start making one of every three rows intervals and start pushing the HR up. Age-based calcs say my MHR is ±157.

Been enjoying rowing these past few weeks. I'm on a mission to make sure I am ready for my Bandon trip in April. Combine the row with a solid gym routine and I am going to be in fighting shape!

Doing two intervals, 2000m each with a 2 minute rest. Been keeping a 9:15-9:40 pace for my 2 intervals. Thinking about adding a third next week.

The ErgData app is driving me crazy, no matter what I do it jacks up my intervals. Says I did my second interval in 3 minutes (I'd be dead if that was true). I have tried reloading the app, updating the PM5 etc etc.

Hit my best 500 split today with 1:45. Granted it was only in a 10-stroke "power set," but that's more speed than I've ever generated before, so hopefully the form is improving.

So we have this indoor rowing place that popped up near the house I decided to go give it a try this weekend. They offered a free class for first timers. I went and holy crap what a workout that was. 45 mins of getting my ass kicked. Its a bit expensive (what isn't these days) but it was a different and fun way to workout. I think I'll be going back.

Energy expended, distance/time, and pace are more important. Here are some informative articles from Concept2:

Debunking the Myths: Damper Setting, Stroke Rate and Intensity
Rowing Stroke Rate Explained
Understanding Stroke Rate

I'm not pushing that hard (yet?), but, the highest rate I've done so far was 28 s/m. I briefly hit that, yesterday, after I paused to snug the watch band down on my Apple Watch (it wasn't reading HR) and wanted to make up the distance. (I think my pace was up to 2:18 at that point?) Normally I run between 22 and 24 s/m.

The highest pace I've had, so far. was 2:23, and that was only 22 s/m.
"Skimmer Alert"
Which app do you use on the iWatch when rowing?

"Skimmer Alert"
Which app do you use on the iWatch when rowing?
Nothing special: The built-in Workout app on my Apple Watch and the PM3 on the rower. I've added the optional HRM pickup for the PM3 and wear a Polar chest band during rowing.

I admit, I've been a slacker. Barely touched my rower for a month.

Back on the virtual water again this morning. Felt great. I don't know why I go through these periods of poor motivation.

They have a Concept 2 at my client's condo gym -- they did not have a padded seat so my ass is raw...

Purchased a padded seat from Amazon to use..

I have been getting back into the row machine as it gets chilly outside. Put in some reps watching NFL today.
IMG_4494.jpeg

Put in 2 more good sessions this week. Getting back into the swing of things.

Really cold here today. Put in some good work on the Concept 2 (humble brag). Been getting a lot of good sessions lately.
IMG_4524.jpeg

Really cold here today. Put in some good work on the Concept 2 (humble brag). Been getting a lot of good sessions lately.
View attachment 9236163
Concept 2 is amazing and we love ours. I row about twice a week and should probably do more

2-3 times a week at the moment on C2. I've been using Apple Fitness+ for 30 minute interval classes.

Back