Nicklaus ML4 Driver - Forum Testing Review

JMan - that is awesome! Completely changes the game when you are hitting fairways like that. You REALLY need to make a trip to north Texas! :D

JMan - that is awesome! Completely changes the game when you are hitting fairways like that. You REALLY need to make a trip to north Texas! :D

I agree that I do, Bridges is on me as well. There's been talk of possibly meeting up at Win Star or something.

True story for you all, the Pro at the course I play the most was out on the range when I stopped in for a bit to hit a bag of balls and the putting green for a few minutes. He came up and asked to see my driver, that I hadn't even pulled form my bag yet and really didn't intend to with only one bag of balls. He actually told me he was in a group I played through yesterday (oops for me not paying attention, I was focused on my score though lol) and saw me hit my 290 drive yesterday on a 340 yard par 4. He wanted to see what it was, you could see the look on his face when he saw the brand, so, naturally seeing that I told him to hit it. Talk about putting the ML4 through its paces.

About 20 shots later, he offered to buy it from me. I politely told him sorry, no go and explained to him I was picked to test this club and all about THP as well. He was definitely intrigued by the site, also mentioned looking into the Nicklaus Premium line more.

One heckuva day for it still being so early!

Round 1: Undulating Course (Pull Driver 70-80% of time)
42/40 = 82 (+10)
7/10 Fairways Hit
1/4 Within 10 Feet of Fairway
1 Drive OB Left (Didn't cut corner all the way)
1 Drive lost just off fairway in the mud (irritating to know its there but probably a foot down)
Long Drive = 285 Yards on a Par 5 with a "Pinkie" Vision Ball lol
Short Drive = 230 3/4 Swing little cut on purpose
Average = 260ish

TERRIBLE day on course, lost my cool early and it carried over until about the 11th hole. Was very good off the tee though still, just a couple where I got quick, I personally think 7/10 is a pretty bad arse number. The 285 yard drive was absolutely nutted on the last par 5 of the day (17th) when I finally decided I'd had enough of the Par 5's killing me on the day (+2, +2, Par)....Pinkie go real far. The feel is amazing now that I truly think I have a setup that just flat out lets the clubhead do work andd sho me again and again why I and others are so dang impressed by it.

Going to get out on Monday for 2-3 rounds as teachers have to report Tuesday and its back to twilight rounds for me then.

ML4 Update

I played with a very nice group of THPer's today. It was a very good driving day, i.e., I didn't lose a ball. Arydolphin commented on how much better I hit the ML4 than its stand in. I hit every fairway but three, and those three were all in play. I was averaging about 215-220 off the tee until the latter part of the round, where I caught the last few flush (240ish). I almost drove a short par four, finding the greenside bunker (the card read 266 yards, but the tee box seemed to be up a bit).

Almost every drive I hit was straight...no draw, no fade...just straight with a nice high trajectory. The shaft I'm using is the original Fujikura 55S that came with the ML4. It's nice having the ML4 back in the bag: the setup, the feel, the sound, the forgiveness...it's all there. :)

great rounds guys, ii played yesterday but only pulled the ml4 out once, the course is so tight just doesnt call for it.. ill be out this week and back with another update!!!

ML4 Update

I played with a very nice group of THPer's today. It was a very good driving day, i.e., I didn't lose a ball. Arydolphin commented on how much better I hit the ML4 than its stand in. I hit every fairway but three, and those three were all in play. I was averaging about 215-220 off the tee until the latter part of the round, where I caught the last few flush (240ish). I almost drove a short par four, finding the greenside bunker (the card read 266 yards, but the tee box seemed to be up a bit).

Almost every drive I hit was straight...no draw, no fade...just straight with a nice high trajectory. The shaft I'm using is the original Fujikura 55S that came with the ML4. It's nice having the ML4 back in the bag: the setup, the feel, the sound, the forgiveness...it's all there. :)

On the head buddy. Those are the four things I come back to time and time again after each round, other drivers don't even intrigue me anymore, not in the slightest.

Jman - Great story about the pro offering to buy the ML4. Like many people, he probably had no clue just how good this driver is. Cool to see somebody that isn't even on the site getting benefit from your testing.

Sean - Glad to hear you are back in the swing of things and the ML4 is still performing for you!

thursday ill have another update!! last 2 times out were wyncote and thats not a driver course... still excited about this driver! hawk you can come to de and ill let you swing mine haha

I'd love to go somewhere and hit it. Would you guys classify this as a low, mid, or high spin driver? I know that can be a tough call without a launch monitor.

by ball flight i would say mid-high, but not high enough to the point where it balloons

Sounds good.
Goes far.
Forgiving.

Can't really beat that.

Sounds good.
Goes far.
Forgiving.

Can't really beat that.

got that right, if i swing it this good now, just wait until i fix my swing flaws... oh man!!!

I'd love to go somewhere and hit it. Would you guys classify this as a low, mid, or high spin driver? I know that can be a tough call without a launch monitor.
Mid for me Hawk, as I don't balloon it, and on wet fairways the ball doesn't spin back when it lands. This is a guess though. :)

Mid for me Hawk, as I don't balloon it, and on wet fairways the ball doesn't spin back when it lands. This is a guess though. :)

Ditto for me.

On the road will reply more in depth tonight, played 36, the ML4 played 26. I blame you Sean lol. Pics tonight...sad Jman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto for me.

On the road will reply more in depth tonight, played 36, the ML4 played 26. I blame you Sean lol. Pics tonight...sad Jman.

I'll take the blame Jman...'cause I like the sticker. :)

I'll take the blame Jman...'cause I like the sticker. :)

Haha, thanks Sean. Looks alot like what happened to yours, but mine didn't go further than the ball....lol

Haha, thanks Sean. Looks alot like what happened to yours, but mine didn't go further than the ball....lol
Oh man Jman...I hope the head's okay. I can't believe that happened to you too as well. :-(

Oh man Jman...I hope the head's okay. I can't believe that happened to you too as well. :-(

A pic will have to wait until tomorrow, but, suffice to say it was hanging by a thread of graphite post swing. The RIP had been pulled 3 different times from other clubs and adapters so that was likely the culprit. Boo.

A pic will have to wait until tomorrow, but, suffice to say it was hanging by a thread of graphite post swing. The RIP had been pulled 3 different times from other clubs and adapters so that was likely the culprit. Boo.
That's what I was wondering... On the plus side you've found a great combo that works for you. Is the Shotmaker okay?

That's what I was wondering... On the plus side you've found a great combo that works for you. Is the Shotmaker okay?

Haven't pulled it yet, it was right at the hosel so it should be ok. This sucks! lol

Haven't pulled it yet, it was right at the hosel so it should be ok. This sucks! lol
Good to hear. On another note, putting an old driver in play until you get the ML4 back on its feet you'll immediately notice a difference...and not a good one. lol

I went to a club fitter that sells the Harrison Shotmaker. It wouldn't fit with the made for Fujikura. I was there so I hit some other shafts (my spin numbers with the Fujikura were a bit high, as was the trajectory). I had a lot of success with the Harrison Eclipse so I'm going to be getting that installed along with the Harrison Shotmaker. I'll pick it up Friday.

Been away for a while, missed so much in this thread. First and foremost, Sean, so sorry to hear about your health scare. Be well, my friend, I wish you the best.

And all, great reviews!

Sorry to hear about the shaft failure, Jman... it was working so well for you but I'm sure you'll find the magic again with a similar reshaft.

I haven't played too much recently as I've been busy with my son's travel baseball team, kinda' got roped into coaching. :wink:

I'd settled on the 9* with the stiff Graphite Design PM702, tipped 1", as my gamer. But for my last couple of rounds, considering selling my Cobra S3, I put that club back into play just to revisit. Solid, predictable, very, very good.

I'm at my condo here in Myrtle Beach (Legends) and hit the range tonight with the S3 and my ML4. It was pretty full and at one end of the range, there was a guy who you could just tell was a heckuva stick. Beautifully smooth and powerful swing.

Anyway, after going through the bag with a variety of shots, I went to driver. First the S3. Nice, solid, long, repeatable shots. Enough to make me re-think my choice of starting drivers. Then I hit the ML4 (first time in nearly 3 weeks) and nearly laughed out loud. I was "WOW'd" all over again. Bombs, one after another. Some straight, some slight draw, some slight fade but not a clunker in the bunch. All solid, all very long, mid-flight trajectory.

Two people commented about the club. One, a dad with his young son right next to me says, "I see you're hitting a couple of drivers. You hit them both well but man, the ball just jumps off of that black one. It just has to be longer for you, no?"

Then, a bit later, the excellent player at the end of the range was leaving when I'd noticed he stopped behind me. I had no idea if he was watching or checking his phone, whatever, I just kept hitting drives. When I glanced back, he was shaking his head and said, "damn, man... you just pound that thing, it's fun to watch."

"Me?" I said, nearly laughing. "You have a tour-quality swing, I'll trade 'ya in a second." He laughed and said that he'd tried his hand at the mini-tours but the competition was so darn tough. He checked out my driver and did a double take. Then he hit it and was amazed. The ball was jumping off the club for him. Tight, mid-flight draws every single time.

He didn't offer to buy it from me but when I told him the retail price and that he can call Nicklaus for a hand-picked head so as to be sure to get the exact loft and face-angle that he'd want, he was definitely interested. Maybe another convert to the fold?

I went to a club fitter that sells the Harrison Shotmaker. It wouldn't fit with the made for Fujikura. I was there so I hit some other shafts (my spin numbers with the Fujikura were a bit high, as was the trajectory). I had a lot of success with the Harrison Eclipse so I'm going to be getting that installed along with the Harrison Shotmaker. I'll pick it up Friday.

Sean, EXCELLENT shaft choice! Seriously, the eclipse is super smooth for sure and I think you'll really be impressed by the shotmaker!

I'm actually going to go back to my favorite shaft ever, the Harrison Eclipse rather than another RIP for now. Should be ordering from victory custom golf tomorrow!

Been away for a while, missed so much in this thread. First and foremost, Sean, so sorry to hear about your health scare. Be well, my friend, I wish you the best.

And all, great reviews!

Sorry to hear about the shaft failure, Jman... it was working so well for you but I'm sure you'll find the magic again with a similar reshaft.

I haven't played too much recently as I've been busy with my son's travel baseball team, kinda' got roped into coaching. :wink:

I'd settled on the 9* with the stiff Graphite Design PM702, tipped 1", as my gamer. But for my last couple of rounds, considering selling my Cobra S3, I put that club back into play just to revisit. Solid, predictable, very, very good.

I'm at my condo here in Myrtle Beach (Legends) and hit the range tonight with the S3 and my ML4. It was pretty full and at one end of the range, there was a guy who you could just tell was a heckuva stick. Beautifully smooth and powerful swing.

Anyway, after going through the bag with a variety of shots, I went to driver. First the S3. Nice, solid, long, repeatable shots. Enough to make me re-think my choice of starting drivers. Then I hit the ML4 (first time in nearly 3 weeks) and nearly laughed out loud. I was "WOW'd" all over again. Bombs, one after another. Some straight, some slight draw, some slight fade but not a clunker in the bunch. All solid, all very long, mid-flight trajectory.

Two people commented about the club. One, a dad with his young son right next to me says, "I see you're hitting a couple of drivers. You hit them both well but man, the ball just jumps off of that black one. It just has to be longer for you, no?"

Then, a bit later, the excellent player at the end of the range was leaving when I'd noticed he stopped behind me. I had no idea if he was watching or checking his phone, whatever, I just kept hitting drives. When I glanced back, he was shaking his head and said, "damn, man... you just pound that thing, it's fun to watch."

"Me?" I said, nearly laughing. "You have a tour-quality swing, I'll trade 'ya in a second." He laughed and said that he'd tried his hand at the mini-tours but the competition was so darn tough. He checked out my driver and did a double take. Then he hit it and was amazed. The ball was jumping off the club for him. Tight, mid-flight draws every single time.

He didn't offer to buy it from me but when I told him the retail price and that he can call Nicklaus for a hand-picked head so as to be sure to get the exact loft and face-angle that he'd want, he was definitely interested. Maybe another convert to the fold?

Great to hear, I get the same reactions when I tell ppl my diver is a nicklaus

I tapatalk better then I tapaputt

Back