TaylorMade R1 Driver Preview

Wish they would develop a true independent loft/lie/face angle adjustment. Having a 2* open face if you want a 8* loft shouldn't be the only option. They need to figure this out. Does anyone offer this yet?

Completely agree.

I believe the new Amp Cell does?

Wish they would develop a true independent loft/lie/face angle adjustment. Having a 2* open face if you want a 8* loft shouldn't be the only option. They need to figure this out. Does anyone offer this yet?

IIRC, that's what Nike is offering in the Covert driver.

TM is also saying that 80% of players are playing the wrong loft. Even with multiple loft options in a head, I wonder how many people will still play the wrong loft because they think their ballflight is high enough when it really isn't. Most of the people that I get paired with when I play as a single launch it much lower than I do, and my ballflight doesn't balloon.

i dig the graphics on top and think it's a nice contrast of colors that work well with the alignment aid.
the bottom of the clubhead is busy, but shouldn't bother anyone. actually looks very similar to the cavity of the Burner 2.0 irons.

i think there's more there than any 10-36 hdcp will ever need, but man that's some serious technology there in terms of what you can do. i think people over look that factor and go straight to the looks. if you could hit the ugliest driver in the world 350yd, dead straight every time...don't lie, you would hit it.

i'm excited to hit this for sure.

I'm not one that worries about being distracted by a club's looks, and I'm not saying I'd be distracted by this either, but...

THAT IS HIDEOUS!!!!!

Apparently I had the compass pointed in the wrong direction as all my shots were going right.

I know there are a whole bunch of THPers that had a chance to try this one out. Looking forward to their feedback and I will have some rather large reviews coming shortly.

Me too! After hearing from War, Ward, mrmcgovs and some others, it sounds like the verdict is still out and that more time is needed? Not gonna lie, I will be hitting this driver being an "ex" Taylor Made homer. This is one crazy driver for sure!

I hit this the other weekend at the Florida get together and was under-impressed. When I first saw the graphics I was like "Whoa, what the hell" Then I addressed the ball and it actually helped me with alignment and stopped bothering me right away. The phenom shaft in it was very solid, liked it. The club head feel wise and design wise for me fell short. The "Compass" on the bottom of the wood for me interupted my take away. I take it away slightly brushing the grass and the compass/edge of the cavity were snagging the grass a bit, this just bothered me. The head itself seemed extremely light and didnt get the solid feel I was looking for. I did hit the RBZ 2 that same day and thought it to be the better of the two TMAG offerings.
That is the first thing I thought about with myself and a few others that take the driver back low. Will have to see if it happens to me.

I find the sole to be a non-issue personally. It is "indented" enough that makes the "compass" still above the sole of the club. Therefore if one were hitting it on the grass, they would be grounding the bottom had it been a traditional shaped driver bottom.

Now what that does not take into consideration is that some people see a more shallow sole on the back and drop down a bit in which it could brush.

I keep coming back and trying to like this driver, but just not crazy about the graphics. Although I'm always open to an ugly driver if it just gets the job done!

It's sad but funny,,,, they are trying their hardest to make golf clubs to confusing and difficult to use... I have no doubt adjustable length shafts are next..
:drinks:

Info on the shaft is pretty interesting. Stiffer in the tip and butt sections with a softer middle. Might explain some of the low righties, especially after hitting other drivers that have softer tips. Did it feel smooth at all? That's what I always seem to equate with a softer mid-section.

Info on the shaft is pretty interesting. Stiffer in the tip and butt sections with a softer middle. Might explain some of the low righties, especially after hitting other drivers that have softer tips. Did it feel smooth at all? That's what I always seem to equate with a softer mid-section.
It felt fine swinging it, but the shaft was not a good fit for me...at all.

I'm curious how the compass manages to change the face angle. As in, how does it work...

It felt fine swinging it, but the shaft was not a good fit for me...at all.

That would make sense to me based off what you tend to excel with. I wonder if this is a response to some of the criticism they had with the Blur in the R11.

I am not a fan of the graphics on the crown, but i still want to try it out next month at the golf expo.

I like the adjustability but how far will they take it with the options? Whatever happen to getting fit for a club, buying that club and leaving everything the same? I will say the in hand pics do look better than what I had seen earlier but I'm still not sure about this one. I'll have to see it and hit it in person.

I find the sole to be a non-issue personally. It is "indented" enough that makes the "compass" still above the sole of the club. Therefore if one were hitting it on the grass, they would be grounding the bottom had it been a traditional shaped driver bottom.

Now what that does not take into consideration is that some people see a more shallow sole on the back and drop down a bit in which it could brush.

Thanks for that, from the photos I thought it was protruding when it sounds like it is actually the opposite.

Thanks for that, from the photos I thought it was protruding when it sounds like it is actually the opposite.

This picture shows it best I think. You can see a pretty significant drop down right above (upside down) the TaylorMade before it gets to the adjustment circle.

DSC_4151-L.jpg

Yeah, I can see where it is indented with the TaylorMade logo, it just looks like the compass is raised from the middle circle there. Glad to hear in hand that it's not the case or it would get really nasty with my flat swing.

What's the background in naming the driver R1?

I believe it refers to only needing '1' driver due to the loft adjustments.

The answer is the forefront of their marketing.

80% of golfers are playing a driver the wrong loft.

So, we made one driver that has them all.

Not a fan of this at all. The racing stripes on the top look distracting, and would make me think about too much while at address. I will notbe trying or using one of these ever.

The R1 has a lot graphics on the crown. Not sure if that would bother me. But I like the design of the sole of the club. It's cleaner than the R11s and R11. I guess I have a lot of reading up to do. Lots of good stuff coming.

I'm actually not as bothered by the crown graphics as I thought I would be... I actually kind of like them. However, I have yet to hit a R-series driver off the rack that agrees with me. However, I will hit this one for sure.

As a small detail, but I love it, the R1 logo on the sides of player's hat's this week looks awesome.

Back