TaylorMade RocketBladez Irons Preview

I'm not sure what I think about these, in part because I can't figure out if they are an additional set to their product line or if they are intended to be the replacements for the R11 irons (a mid-handicap set). Guess this is just a set I'll have to swing at some point to see how they perform.

Looking forward to more thoughts as they are available.

So why didnt they just call it RocketPutterz? Or RocketDrivers? They arent either of those, either.

They wouldve been better off calling them RocketSpeed or something else just as lame, although it wouldnt allow them to umbrella the RBZ name.

No idea dude Im not on the TM payroll or part of the team naming them. But clearly this is an iron aimed towards the i20 type of buyer. Distance, looks and forgiveness in a nice package. Blades are for the few and these are for the masses who want a better iron but not a SGI shovel. Its the future of irons.

Guess I just struggle to find the good in an iron that is "freakishly longer".

I want better control, easier to hit, better turf interaction.....not 25 yards longer when I hit the sweet spot. Sorry, but a 175 yard 8 iron does nothing for me except create gaps in my distance.

I talk and Siri types. From the iPhone 5.

Cookie is intelligent. Maybe not fantasy football intelligent but intelligent none the less

I want better control, easier to hit, better turf interaction.....not 25 yards longer when I hit the sweet spot. Sorry, but a 175 yard 8 iron does nothing for me except create gaps in my distance.

What if you're as accurate with this 8 iron as your 8 iron but hit it further? It's nice to have 8 iron accuracy from 175 versus maybe 6 iron accuracy. At least that's my thinking.

Honestly, I am not feeling this iron. I liked the look of the zebra iron much better. I am not talking about the silly cavity design, but the actual look of the club head. This is a confusion of lines and colors. I am sure they will be good irons, they just don't appeal to me.

Those look pretty interesting. Is that a speed slot on the longer irons?

I honestly really like this design. The cavity looks good and the speed slot intrigues me.

I just don't need irons with stronger lofts than I already have haha. I mean if I grab an 8 iron but its really a 6 how is that helping me?

I think the zebra iron was the tour version.
Honestly, I am not feeling this iron. I liked the look of the zebra iron much better. I am not talking about the silly cavity design, but the actual look of the club head. This is a confusion of lines and colors. I am sure they will be good irons, they just don't appeal to me.

C'mon Cookie, they said 'consistent distance.' What, you don't believe TM!? :bulgy-eyes:

What if you're as accurate with this 8 iron as your 8 iron but hit it further? It's nice to have 8 iron accuracy from 175 versus maybe 6 iron accuracy. At least that's my thinking.

Ding? I think you might be on to something here.

Interesting concept -- but then again anything Taylormade comes out with is marketed very well. I can't say I love or hate them based on looks alone but not what I was expecting to see in the cavity. Although, I do like a more classic non busy iron and they did produce that. Seems like the higher irons have an almost ATV look with the sole. I could use iron distance, but as someone stated I hope they are consistent and I would be curious to see the lofts on these.

It is. It is polymer filled to keep it up from filling up with dirt.

I was talking about this iron the other day and the slot came up, I was wondering hoe they would keep diet from getting in. Very interesting.

I think they are very sharp.

I so much agree with this statement. Irons are for scoring not for hitting far. I am curious to know the lofts on these as well.

I don't know if I like them. The look doesn't immediately turn me off. But I'd have to hit these before I have a final say. I hate the name too.

I honestly really like this design. The cavity looks good and the speed slot intrigues me.

I just don't need irons with stronger lofts than I already have haha. I mean if I grab an 8 iron but its really a 6 how is that helping me?

Simple, it goes higher then your 6, lands softer and holds the green better.

But then what? Are you able to maintain 10 yard gaps? Or is my 7 iron now 195 yards? By that logic, my 4 iron will be 250.

Then go the opposite way, my 9 iron is 155 and my PW is 135? That just makes the game more difficult.

The only clubs that I see truly benefitting from all of this extra distance is the driver and 3 wood. After that, you need clubs that you can hit to specific distances in order to score and having 20 yard gaps between irons does zilch for my game.

Any idea on the stock shafts?

I'd certainly try them to see how they feel. Like the above guys, I prefer accuracy to distance in my irons.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

I might game these just to say Im good enough to play blades....or bladez

But then what? Are you able to maintain 10 yard gaps? Or is my 7 iron now 195 yards? By that logic, my 4 iron will be 250.

Then go the opposite way, my 9 iron is 155 and my PW is 135? That just makes the game more difficult.

The only clubs that I see truly benefitting from all of this extra distance is the driver and 3 wood. After that, you need clubs that you can hit to specific distances in order to score and having 20 yard gaps between irons does zilch for my game.

Agreed. I just dont need these ridiculously strong lofts from my irons. My ci11s are already lofted pretty strong

I think the zebra iron was the tour version.

Got ya. That iron I would be interested in if they don't do something crazy with the badging.

As far as 8 iron accuracy with 6 iron distance, what if the 8 iron is the same loft as a traditional 6 iron?

Fair enough. I'd love to hit 175 yard 8 irons TBH.

Internet golfers. You all know you cant wait to put some "blades" in your bags.

Looks like 4iron has the slot, 8 iron doesn't. So it's a good bet the long irons 4-6 will have it, while the attack irons 7-PW do not. So you can struggle with the gap between the 6 and 7 :act-up:

Honestly though, I'm with you. This is why I don't play GI irons.

Back