TaylorMade RocketBladez Irons Preview

I like the idea of actual technological advances to new club lines (as opposed to mere aesthetics, like adding colors), so my initial reaction is positive.

On the other hand, if you don't bag a 3 or 4 iron you are paying 8 bills for new technology in exactly 3 clubs. Even if you do play the 3 and 4, that is 5 clubs with the technology and 3 without it. I don't know about that, that would possibly be a deal breaker for me.

I'm wondering if you need a certain swing speed to make these clubs effective. If you are a punch and Judy hitter will you generate enough swing speed for this trampoline effect to be put to use?

30.5 degree loft 7 iron. No wonder they go farther. I'm looking at a set of blades in which the 7 iron is 36 degrees.

Still based with a 45* PW, pretty standard for today.

I like the look of the tour irons better than the other ones. I'd like to meet the 8-year old in the marketing department that is in charge of naming clubs at Taylormade though, he seems like he would be fun to talk to! What's next SuperRocketDriverz?? lol can't wait to hit these though!

Kind of digging these, but not sure about the yellow/gold color they're using on the badge.

I am digging the tour version much more as they are a little more simplistic. I also hope that they are cast and not forged. I would rock the tour version in a heartbeat.

I guess I'm in the group where you could name a club the "Hokie Pokie" and I wouldn't care if it worked for my game.

I like the looks of the regular version a fair bit, I actually LOVE the look of the tour's. I also like the use of satin and chrome on the head. I look forward to seeing them in person eventually.

Yep, I really like the looks of the Tour iron. Although here lately I've been thinking about irons with more forgiveness. I love my J40 CB's a ton, don't get me wrong. But on days when my swing is a little off I sure wouldn't mind a little more forgiveness.

Get the tour version and off you CB's (to me). That makes sense

The Tour offering is sexy. My only worry is this. With the added distance, don't you lose the ability to control the spin of the ball coming off the face? That's just my worry going forward and I'm interested to see how the Irons answer that question.

I really like the premise of these. Very interesting.

I'm liking the looks of these better than my Rocketballz irons. Specs though are virtually the same. I look forward to comparing them head to head with my RBZ's to see really if the new "technology" will make a big difference.

The Tour offering is sexy. My only worry is this. With the added distance, don't you lose the ability to control the spin of the ball coming off the face? That's just my worry going forward and I'm interested to see how the Irons answer that question.

I don't understand this. I am sure with the right shafts and fitting, you could probably make these do anything you want.

Interesting. Not what I would imagine my dream set of irons looking like but it will all come down to performance. TM keeps evolving.

Chipped via Tapatalk 2

I don't understand this. I am sure with the right shafts and fitting, you could probably make these do anything you want.

I don't know. Just in my head, I feel like the ball would be coming off the face so hot that the spin would be difficult to control. I don't know. Maybe I'm just stupid.

I like everything I'm seeing here so far. Nothing I can see that will eventually start falling off, nice and clean with a touch of flair in the small amount of color, the speed slot that I've had great results with in hybrids of another brand and the most exciting part to me... a semi-blade look in a cavity back, GI/SGI level package. What's not to like here?

I think TM is really good at "Thinking outside the box", this kind of proves that. I can't wait to hit these.

The new bladz look very nice and tempting. One thing to note is the pocket only in a few irons ? from their website they say : Speed Pocket in the 3- through 7-irons works with an advanced..

I don't know. Just in my head, I feel like the ball would be coming off the face so hot that the spin would be difficult to control. I don't know. Maybe I'm just stupid.

It is a valid question bro. I just didn't understand the thinking, but then again, I don't really know much about golf. I reckon that the ball comes off the face of a driver much faster than on irons. Maybe with the compression factor with the velo slot it will impart less spin than a regular iron like a lower compression ball.

It looks better than the R11 irons in my mind. I'll be trying these out as I continue my multi-year quest for irons worthy of replacing my current set.

~Rock

It is a valid question bro. I just didn't understand the thinking, but then again, I don't really know much about golf. I reckon that the ball comes off the face of a driver much faster than on irons. Maybe with the compression factor with the velo slot it will impart less spin than a regular iron like a lower compression ball.

Yeah, the main root point is that personally, I won't give up accuracy for distance. I don't care if I can hit 9 irons 175. If I can't hit it on a line, then I don't want them in my bag. Period. That's the main point I'm trying to get too.

Yeah, the main root point is that personally, I won't give up accuracy for distance. I don't care if I can hit 9 irons 175. If I can't hit it on a line, then I don't want them in my bag. Period. That's the main point I'm trying to get too.

haha. I agree with ya man.

I wonder how these feel? I bet they are very soft feeling.

Dang, that Tour version reminds me instantly of the Razr X Tours for some odd reason.

haha. I agree with ya man.

I wonder how these feel? I bet they are very soft feeling.

I would hope they feel better than the RBZ irons. I got the 5 iron still sitting in my basement. I absolutely HATED the feel of those.

What happens when dirt and mud gets in that 2mm slot. How do they propose I clean that out?

~Rock

I would think a distance vs accuracy test would be fairly easy to do from a testing standpoint. It's something I'm curious about as well. I mainly just want to know how far my irons go and have them go where I want them to. However, I do see a gap from my irons to hybrids that I'd like to shorten up. Wedges don't really matter to me since I'm rarely taking full swings with them anyway.

Nice thing about golf equipment is that there's something out there for everybody. I know it's petty, but the name does turn me off and always will. Regardless, I've always hit what I liked and not worried about the other stuff. AMP was a good example of that.

Back