THP Auto Repair Shop

I dunno... I don't want to crack that baby open in case the magic tries to escape.
Expecto Repairo!

i tried harry potter GIF

Tires are expensive! Make sure you are rotating and inflating your tires on schedule.
@Thrillbilly Jim out here doing yeomen's work.

You up for a brief explanation of what the UTQG rating means? I think it would be helpful for people to understand.

You up for a brief explanation of what the UTQG rating means? I think it would be helpful for people to understand.
UTQG mean Ugga-duggas and precise TQ specs are both Good

My parents were in Atlanta visiting my brother's family, had some sort of coolant leak in their '14 Mercedes. They took it to the dealership in Duluth, that they had bought from before when they lived in the area 15 years ago. Dealership says they don't work on cars ten years old or older. They were there on Jan 2nd, and wouldn't work on a 2014, despite the actual in service date being less than ten years ago. This may be one of the biggest crocks of horse **** I've ever heard.

I have a 2011 Chrysler 200 that i am looking to fix up and sell (my old car) I have a bad humming in it some have told me it is probably my alternator do you think this sounds right? I am not mechanically inclined so i have no idea

My understanding is that UTQG is to tires as flex is to shafts.

Also, pay attention to the manufacture date. You do not want to buy a tire that has been sitting around for a couple years. Rubber has a shelf life.

Also, pay attention to the manufacture date. You do not want to buy a tire that has been sitting around for a couple years. Rubber has a shelf life.
I've got some real fun experiences with tires shredding at speed.

When it comes to tires, I buy the best I can afford or stomach to pay. Rotation and proper inflation are key to extending tread life. Typical rotation intervals for me are every other oil change.

When it comes to tires, I buy the best I can afford or stomach to pay. Rotation and proper inflation are key to extending tread life. Typical rotation intervals for me are every other oil change.
A wise man once told me buy the best product you can that stands between you and the ground. Shoes and tires.

$90 4 wheel alignment and $80 synthetic oil change should keep me off the New Car Shopping thread. Although a Tundra pickup was calling my name.

Kid managed to slide his crosstrek into a curb in the last storm. Took it for an alignment and was quoted $1300+ to replace the lower control arm and do the alignment.

Because I’m cheap, I decided to do the part replacement myself. Bit of a hassle in the garage on jack stands, but not that difficult. If I had to do it again, it’ll be less than an hour.

Had to buy the parts from the dealer since it’s too new for aftermarket to be available. Little annoyed that the dealer parts guy didn’t tell me that a new ball joint was already installed in the new arm, so I didn't need to buy the ball joint and castle nut. Hopefully they’ll waive the 10% restock fee since I did call and talk to them.

The saga continues... had to replace the hub assembly after the alignment. A grinding sound and vibration reared it's ugly head. Another $250, but easier to do than the lower control arm. Of course, the dang hub didn't come with the one time use axle nut... so had to go back and get that. Car is in good shape now!

My kids 2018 honda civic suddenly no longer has running tail lights at night. Brake lights, blinkers and everything work though as do headlights. Seems odd that only the running lights are out and can't imagine both bulbs went at same time. Fuse maybe?

My kids 2018 honda civic suddenly no longer has running tail lights at night. Brake lights, blinkers and everything work though as do headlights. Seems odd that only the running lights are out and can't imagine both bulbs went at same time. Fuse maybe?
Always start with the cheapest and easiest thing first.

Not that uncommon for lamps on both sides to go bad at the same time. I'd start there for sure. Cheapest, least effort fix first!

Not that uncommon for lamps on both sides to go bad at the same time. I'd start there for sure. Cheapest, least effort fix first!
Really? I've had the passenger side headlight on mine go out twice and driver side never. Weird. Fuse probably cheaper haha but yeah I'll check bulbs as well.

You might be able to tell just by pulling one and looking at it too, assuming they aren't led or something.

Really? I've had the passenger side headlight on mine go out twice and driver side never. Weird. Fuse probably cheaper haha but yeah I'll check bulbs as well.
From a parts perspective, it was very common. I haven't sold parts in a long time, but the tech for most lamps is still old school.

From the electrical side - every lamp has a useful life... most people don't know that you are suppose to replace them all every few years to keep maximum intensity.

Back