Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

. Can you do anything else with the Di11s regarding trajectory control? With consistent swings do they have consistent performance? Has anyone tried them for chips and runners? The wide sole makes me a bit nervous about how they'd perform in these other than full shot scenarios.

Jmaier, to answer you questions, you can control the trajectory well, even though the clubface and shaft really want to send the ball high. I hit some 3/4 knockdown shots yesterday into the wind and they performed very well. The ball would still be higher than the Mizzy's you game now but much lower than the standard ball flight. As for consistancy, they are the most consistant I have hit, just based on the forgiveness. Example is I'm hitting the 8-iron right now about 150 in these temperatures, and if you miss a little towards the toe, or heel I'm still seeing 140-145. I have used the PW, 7-iron and 6-iron for some chip and runs around the green and they performed too well. The ball comes off the face hot, hotter than I was expecting and I ran past the hole. My second round I got used to it a little more but still was sending them long, this was user error as the ball hops of the face with nice run out. As for the thicker sole, I haven't found myself thinking about it at all. To be fair the conditions are beyond wet here right now, it is a rain forest in winter after all, so I can't tell you how they will act in regular conditions but so far the turf interaction has been what I expect out of an iron, and the one fairway bunker I was in, it performed admirably and that is not a shot I am comfortable with. Hopefully I answered your questions but please ask for any clarification you need or any more questions.

I'm very interested in trying out these irons but they are nearly impossible to demo for me. I haven't seen too much feedback on non-standard shots with these clubs. I get that they go high, long and straight but I hit full irons about 50% of the time (at most) and a great deal of the time I hit 3/4 knockdown shots to fly a lower trajectory. I don't work the ball left at all and I'll fade upon occasion. Anyway, I'm overmatched with my MP-52s. I'm a solid bogey golfer and I'm in the 80s far more than over 90 and my irons are okay -- distance is weak but direction control is very good (of course, chipping and short pitches bite). One thing that I do like about the 52s is the consistency and control. If I make similar swings then I get very, very consistent results and they are easy to trap for a 150 yard knockdown. Can you do anything else with the Di11s regarding trajectory control? With consistent swings do they have consistent performance? Has anyone tried them for chips and runners? The wide sole makes me a bit nervous about how they'd perform in these other than full shot scenarios.

That said, I will be picking up a replacement for my Mizzys shortly and it will be done without too much club trial and the contenders are the usual suspects: Burner 2.0, JPX-800, CG16 and maybe the Di11. I like the idea of playing Wilsons for sentimental reasons if the performance is there. I'm not a big hitter, btw, 52 years old and my 6i SS with the -52s is about 85 with a more shallow swing plane and a tendency to early release.

I have been hitting a lot of knockdown and 3/4 shots with these. Thus far they have been up to the task with the exception of the fade which is a shot I struggle with. You will have no problems flighting these especially after a few range sessions. As I said in a previous post I think I was not describing these irons accurately when I stated Long/Straight/High. There has been no shot so far that I couldn't play with these irons. I played in 20-30 mph winds and was able to keep the ball down for the most part.

I am not a big hitter either. When I got fit with the Mizuno shaft optimizer my 6 iron SS was 80-84. I think that these definitely deserve to be on your shortlist. I won't say they are better then those others but I will say they are definitely not a step down either. These are solid clubs.

I want to add something to this thread. The testers are BRINGING IT!

Incredible job with all the coverage so far and I cannot wait to hear more from everybody. I know from testing these myself in small doses just how good these things can be. Great stuff everybody.

As one of the testers I really appreciate that JB. I know in my case I was really worried that I would not be up to the task. I have thus far had a great time and hopefully can start putting these irons through the ringer. Heck I just want to keep up with CB. Low 80's each round is sick!

+1 CL, I really appreciate the kind words JB, I wanted to do a great job for THP since this is a great opportunity and love the site and all the previous member tests where the testers have brought it.
CL, thanks man, I have had two good rounds so far with these, but I have been playing from the whites (6100 yards) because in the winter here there is no such thing as roll. I'm going to play my next round from the blues (6500 yards) so I have to play more mid and long irons into the greens.

Just some thoughts on my range session today with the Di11's. I was mostly working on my driver and hybrid play today but hit about 45 balls with the irons. The lightweight uniflex shaft is fantastic, and really good looking with its stepless design. You can feel the clubhead throughout the swing, and even though I think they lend themselves to an even tempo swing, I went after a couple today and the shaft more than held up with some great distance. I find I am hitting the center of the clubface with these more often than I normally do and I attribute that to the confidence I have that if I miss the center of the face, I'm still going to end up with a good shot. Looking forward to your thoughts tonight Ron, especially on the half and half shafts.

Completely agree with you on the Uniflex shaft CB. I am loving it the more I am swinging it. The shaft promotes an easier swing and for me I am most successful when I try and take a nice easy swing. I will say that the times I've tried to go after it I have not had good results. Quite a few pull hooks which I will say is 90% my swing but I'll throw a little blame at the shaft as well. My old KBS shafts were able to stay with my aggressive swings.

Way to go RON!!

Well, lets start at the beginning. From the fairway of the first hole 385 yards from the blue tees Par 4, drove about 225.
I took out the 4I thinking I would hit to the front of the green or a little shy of it and pitch up.
The swing with these is effortless, as I said earlier, you can feel the power building at the top of your backswing and feel it uncoil as you begin your downstroke, hit slightly towards the toe and flew the ball to the back of the green, where it bounced and dribbles off the back, but still playable. Took the 9I and closed the face down and just gave it a quarter swing for a little bump and run about 14ft. to within 2ft of the hole. Greens were terrible, but the 2 putt was my own misread.

2nd was a longer Par 4 at 453 yds that doglegs sharply right.
Had a decent tail wind and hit just shy of 240 in light rough to the left. Thought about my 3Hy for a minute and said the hell with it and went with the 4I again, hit it about 160 out of the rough the the center of the green. Used the PW and agian, shot over the back of the green, recovered for bogey. The rest of the front 9 went the same way for the following reason.

I was playing these the way I have been playing my old irons, trying to compensate for my right to left ball flight, using the same iron I would from my Pings to go at it here. You have to get use to these irons, they are longer and straighter than what you play now.

As I mentioned above, the half and half shaft is, in my opinion a must have for anyone with an under 100mph clubhead speed. It's like holding something alive, you can feel the power building in your backswing and uncoiling like a snake in your downstroke. While many people don't like the lack of feel they get from graphite shafts, that is not a problem with these, they have excellent feel throughout the swing, you always know where your clubhead is and what it's doing, and these shafts make it do some amazing things.

So, back to the story, I ended up with a 51 on the front 9.

The real breakthrough came on the 13th Par3 179 yds. This hole and I have a history, it is the bane of my existance. I usually lose at least 2 balls on it. I rammed a broken tee into the ground so the ball was barely elevated, normally I would shoot a 4 or 5I on this hole depending on the wind. I clubbed down to 6I with the wind behind me and came within 2 ft. of dead center of the hole. Now I was starting to get the feel of these.

The rest of the round went the same, these iron performed amazingly, with the exception of the wedges, which is my fault as I am used to using a 52, 56 and 60* and now and using only the 42.5 and 46 the set cme with.

Friday I am going to pick up some impact tape and go to the range and report on where the ball is hitting the face with pictures.
Until then, I am convinced these irons will make a beginner want to keep playing and a good player look like the club pro.

I know many people overthe last few years have turned up their nose at Wilson brands because they can be found in the big box stores and lower end sporting goods shops, but I am here to tell you, Wilson Staff is coming back in a big way and can compete with any of the "Big" names now. You can pay twice the price of these but you're not going to find a better game improvement club anywhere.

You just made me want to try the half and half shafts in a bad way, Ron. I was a bit leery of them last year, but I'm thinking that was misguided.

BAM!!! Testify Ron, testify!

I enjoyed reading your thougts and honestly, I'm looking forward to hearing about your next session with these irons.

RON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bringing it on the first round! Great stuff Ron and sounds like the half and half shafts are perfect for your swing, and 4 irons over greens is fantastic. Look forward to your thoughts as you get to know these better.

Testers..... WOW. I can't really say much more than has been said. Don't know if it means a lick but I love the feedback!! CL and CB I think we have almost similar games and man I have to say, I'm tempted. Ron, the half and half are just what I'm looking for I believe. I'm looking forward to as much feedback as you have on those shafts. OEM, we know how you do! Love it.

The coverage of the holes and shots is fantastic. Really get a visual of what it's like to be there.

RON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bringing it on the first round! Great stuff Ron and sounds like the half and half shafts are perfect for your swing, and 4 irons over greens is fantastic. Look forward to your thoughts as you get to know these better.

I think you hit the nail on the head CB, the key to these irons is getting to know them and what they can do. They do not react like any other irons I've played, whether my pings or sets I've rented or clubs friends had me try. I'm positive that even the wedges will do exactly what I want them to do once I figure out how to ask them for it.

By the way, as a side note, I am going to figure out a way to have my bag play the theme from Shaft every time I pull my 4I

Last edited:
Really nice reviews guys...keep'em coming!!!

I'm going to sound like a broken record but, i have to say it anyway. You guys are doing an amazing job testing these and with the commentary its like i'm listening to play by play of each round, Awesome job guys.

Great review and recap Ron. Glad you got the half and halfs because Im sure theres a lot of people very curious about them. Love the reviews so far and it makes me all the more anxious to throw mine in the mix too.

Great review and recap Ron. Glad you got the half and halfs because Im sure theres a lot of people very curious about them. Love the reviews so far and it makes me all the more anxious to throw mine in the mix too.

The half and half's are great. Totally effortless to swing. The only way I can describe it is that it's not like swinging a club, they move like they are an extension of your arms

has anyone in this thread who has hit the di11's ever hit the di7's? i have played the di7's for a few years and am thinking about making the switch after all the good things i have heard in this thread. can anyone compare?

Sorry Hort, I played Pings before testing these, maybe one of the other testers.

Ok Ron....gun to your head and you only have today to decide....do these irons stay in your bag right now or do you go back to your previous set?

Ok Ron....gun to your head and you only have today to decide....do these irons stay in your bag right now or do you go back to your previous set?

Ohhhhh good question! I think I know the answer to that one though.

has anyone in this thread who has hit the di11's ever hit the di7's? i have played the di7's for a few years and am thinking about making the switch after all the good things i have heard in this thread. can anyone compare?

Id think evolution and progression in technology would in itself make the Di11's better. I would be willing to bet you would be blown away by the Di11's if you got a chance to hit them. Distance will be better for sure with the stronger lofts with forgiveness sprinkled on top.

As of right now, you would have to have a pretty big gun with lots of bullets and then have to pry them from my cold dead fingers. In fact, all joking aside, I am considering picking up a second set of these to keep as backups. I definatley want to get the 3I and the other Wedge that is available.

As of right now, you would have to have a pretty big gun with lots of bullets and then have to pry them from my cold dead fingers. In fact, all joking aside, I am considering picking up a second set of these to keep as backups. I definatley want to get the 3I and the other Wedge that is available.

I wonder how awesome a mixed set of half and half irons would be say, 4, 5 and 6 iron along with the uniflex 7-GW?

I wonder how awesome a mixed set of half and half irons would be say, 4, 5 and 6 iron along with the uniflex 7-GW?

Hmmmmm, interesting idea

I had a swing of a di11 7 iron in the half and half uniflex today. Flew it as far as my current 6 iron! These things are rocket launchers!

Manage to see them side by side with the previous model, and they look a lot prettier at address.

I had a swing of a di11 7 iron in the half and half uniflex today. Flew it as far as my current 6 iron! These things are rocket launchers!

Manage to see them side by side with the previous model, and they look a lot prettier at address.

Right now if it was a choice between these irons and my wife, she'd be looking for a new place to sleep.

Uh, love you honey

Back