Martin Kaymer Declines PGA Tour

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Similar to that of Lee Westwood, Martin Kaymer has decided to not play the minimum of 15 events and play on the PGA Tour. Despite what he said after the PGA Championship.

That’s my goal, to become a member on the PGA TOUR; obviously I have that card for next year,” Kaymer said. “I just wanted to play more golf in America, because I know and I feel that my game is getting better when I play in America.

“We obviously play different golf courses in Europe, and I just want to become a better golf player. And in order to become a better golf player, I have to play on different continents and different states and different countries.

“So that is probably what I’m going to do next year.”

I dont look at this as too much of a big deal for the PGA Tour. I do look at it as a pretty big deal for the Euro Tour as they really needed one more player that was not Lee W, to stay put.

This may become a growing trend to try and get bigger name (non-euro) players over there.

I dont look at this as too much of a big deal for the PGA Tour. I do look at it as a pretty big deal for the Euro Tour as they really needed one more player that was not Lee W, to stay put.
I agree, more than this being a big blow to the PGA Tour I see this as an even bigger lift to the European Tour.

I hate this. I enjoyed watching this young man play on the PGA Tour.

This may become a growing trend to try and get bigger name (non-euro) players over there.

Then why did they (Euro Tour) turn down AK for a card? It would seem that they would want to get him over there more often/

very true. didnt even think of that.
Then why did they (Euro Tour) turn down AK for a card? It would seem that they would want to get him over there more often/

this might be them trying to make this them trying to get 'their' players back.

• Admin
According to TGC, his agent is now saying that Kaymer has not made a decision yet.

According to TGC, his agent is now saying that Kaymer has not made a decision yet.

if its true, good for the Euro tour. Would love to see him more, but will get to see him in the majors and WGC events. He's only 25 so even if he passes on the tour this year he has plenty of time left in his career to make the jump.

I'd have a little more sympathy for Kaymer if the guy didn't already have a house in Scottsdale and spends his winters over here in the States. It's not like Westwood, who I do not think has a base over here in the States. So Kaymer is more like Ian Poulter, another European player that splits his time between the two tours and has homes on both continents.

Also, look at the numbers: for PGA Tour membership, you have to play 15 events, and for European Tour membership, you have to play 13 events on that tour. However, all of the majors and the WGC tournaments count on both tours, so that's 8 events right there (counting the newer WGC-HSBC Champions tournament) that you would expect Kaymer to play in. So he'd only have to play 7 more PGA Tour events and 5 more European Tour events to fulfill the obligations on both tours. Add that up and it's 20 total tournaments, which isn't a huge number for a touring pro. So maybe there's something more to this story than just the number of tournaments it would take to qualify for both tours.

I don't get it. If lego head wants to play full time with westwood on the euro tour, neither will get any supporting arguments from me concerning their world ranking. C'mon boys, come play with the big boys.

I don't get it. If lego head wants to play full time with westwood on the euro tour, both will get support from me during contests.

FIFY TC

Interesting, add Rory McIlroy to the group that will not seek PGA Tour membership next year: http://www.weiunderpar.com/post/mcilroy-card-i-dont-need-your-stinkin-card

What's interesting is his logic, he basically is saying that he doesn't want to get locked into having to play the Fedex Cup by taking PGA Tour membership. Top European players can still play a good bit in the USA with 3 majors, 3 WGC events, and selected other events (ex. Rory will be able to defend his title at Quail Hollow next year) to get about 10-12 events in the USA, and still have flexibility to play the events they want to play in Europe. While that's all well and good, most of the best players in the world are in the Fedex Cup, so why wouldn't a guy want to participate in that?

oh to have decisions such as this to make.. makes me sad. if i made the tour - id play as much as i could, i love this game! although i know it would be diff in their shoes haha im just dreaming here

Just throwing this out there...

Could it just be more fun to play over there?

Yeah, if you like easier competition and less money. Just sayin'. I wish poulter would go on as well.

Just throwing this out there...

Could it just be more fun to play over there?

Then explain how most of the top players have left?

Yeah, if you like easier competition and less money. Just sayin'. I wish poulter would go on as well.

maybe its not about the money.

I do wish they would play over here because I enjoy watching them play, but I would imagine we will see plenty of Rory and Kaymer in the future.

I do wish they would play over here because I enjoy watching them play, but I would imagine we will see plenty of Rory and Kaymer in the future.

Yeah, but he is young and now is the time to make the money. I guess he has his reasons though

nope it's not about the money, hence the endorsement deals on the hats, and have you seen lee westwood's shirts? nope, not about the money at all. seems to me like maybe the euros might be trying to make some sort of statement here. i'll still watch both tours, b/c i always have.

nope it's not about the money, hence the endorsement deals on the hats, and have you seen lee westwood's shirts? nope, not about the money at all. seems to me like maybe the euros might be trying to make some sort of statement here. i'll still watch both tours, b/c i always have.

maybe his endorsement money is something that helps level things out for him from playing full time in the us. Its not like he doesn't play in the big money events over here(WGC, Majors, etc)

maybe his endorsement money is something that helps level things out for him from playing full time in the us. Its not like he doesn't play in the big money events over here(WGC, Majors, etc)

i'm sure that's what it is. i wish the pga tour would deny some of these guys b/c they may not play in "x" amount of events.

i'm sure that's what it is. i wish the pga tour would deny some of these guys b/c they may not play in "x" amount of events.

westwood is a version of golfers going Nascar. He reminds me of Kevin Costner in Tin Cup when he has the tucking company logo and waffle house sign on his shirt.

Keep in mind his endorsement money would most likely be higher with more visibility in the US.

You guys starting to get a little shaky with your 'come and play the best players' argument yet? They're slipping away, one by one..... :wink:

I don't really think anyone would choose where to spend a year of their career (and life) simply to make a statement to the other tour. It's got to be a lifestyle decision, and lets face it, there's more than enough money available in Europe for the top guys to make a comfortable living.
This is good news for the European Tour for sure. Maybe not as big a loss for the PGA at the moment, since it's not like 2 of their well-established guys are walking out. Losing McIlroy might be a bigger blow than Kaymer strangely, due to his fan appeal.

Back