AXE Excalibur Tour shaft "Sleeper shaft" ???

Benchmade

Reaction score
Handicap
I've built many clubs over the past few years. Most of what i do is re shafting for people i know as a hobby. Like i need more hobbies :banghead: So i have laid hands on many a shaft. On a whim i picked up a A.X.E. Excalibur 6+ tour in "R" flex. There are a few times where i need a shaft profile that is between R and S. I have used Robins other shafts before. But this new shaft just blew me away. Not to mention some friends that tried it at the range. The fact that a $50 shaft can feel/perform as good as a $300 shaft. I'm going to put some more time on it. For now it's in the bag.

DSCF3268.jpg

DSCF3270.jpg

DSCF3269.jpg

DSCF3274.jpg

What makes it a Tour shaft? Or is that just the name?

Looks good, names a little cheesy though. If it works though for $50 you can't got wrong.

Stiffest lower shaft section in the golf industry (16")
Over 110 hours of player testing
Designed using Zone Stiffness Technology (ZST) that accurately balances the feel and stability of the golf shaft

2.8* Torque thats really low compared to other R shafts out there. Some would say too low to feel where the club head is. You only find this kind of profile in S XS shafts. He made one in an R flex.

A little more about Robin Arthur

Robin Arthur, formerly chief of composite development at General Dynamics, and for eight years director of research and development at Grafalloy, is back in the spotlight. Known in most golf circles as the Father of Lightweight shafts, his designs were the first to be put into play on a regular basis on the PGA Tour. For the past 10 years he has designed graphite shafts and golf products for a number of companies worldwide. Now, with 282 Tour wins credited to his shaft designs, he has launched Arthur’s Xtreme Engineering.

Arthur’s Xtreme Engineering introduces a new approach to composite design and is changing the way golf shafts are designed. It is based on a new process called Ballistic Integration Mechanics (BIM) — a study of a controlled Xplosion (swing) resulting in the ballistics (flight) of an object (ball) based on dynamic deformation of a structure (shaft bending) and its dynamic impact (clubhead speed and orientation) with that object.

Basically, all shafts are designed using a computer model that not only predicts all shaft specifications, but also how ALL those specifications are DISTRIBUTED along the entire length of a golf shaft. This approach gives the true dynamic possibilities of a shaft and goes well beyond saying a shaft has a “stiff tip”. That data is feed into a biometric model which can simulate a golfer using that shaft with a specific length and clubhead, which then predicts accurate ball flight data. But that’s only a small part of his design process. Coupled with his adamant approach to design using countless hours of real player testing (i.e. no robots), the result is... the Number One designer in the history of golf.

Okay, I am still curious why it is called Tour? Is it used on tour?

Okay, I am still curious why it is called Tour? Is it used on tour?

He used Tour to not confuse with his standard 5-7 line from what i gather.

Someone mentioned these shafts to me and cant seem to find any negative reviews to this shaft line...not just the "Tour" line. Solid shafts from a reputable builder?? Does any one have any feed back or input?

http://arthursports.com/product.php

What's more important is this link, which tells how he was a designer at Grafalloy for years. I have two shafts for my Razr FIT from one of his contemporaries, and I've pointed this out in a thread before, just because a shaft is more expensive doesn't make it better. He explains how shafts have blown up in pricing. And, like I post before, if you don't have the shaft you're putting in your driver tested for ITS specific torque, etc, it's not likely that it's what it says on the shaft or even the specs. Manufacturers simply don't have tolerances that tight. Robin Arthur is legit, and so are the shafts. Here's the link:
http://arthursports.com/a_word_from_robin.php

These shafts are in my driver and 3-wood and I couldn,t be more happier. When I researched these I came upon Robin Arthur,s website and on his site he says call him with any questions, his # is right on the site. So, the pessimist in me called bull so I called him. Wouldn,t ya know it he answers and gives me two suggestions to try in my driver and 3-wood. To this day they are still in my bag. Great customer service is what this guy is all about and he proved it with me.

Does it attract the ladies?? :alien:

Haven't tried his shafts yet but he will talk shafts as long as you want to. I called him about a shaft for one of my players and he was very helpful. We ended up with something else but I will try his shafts at some point.

hackin

So I went ahead and reached out to Robin as suggested by others. We spoke via Email then by phone. He was very helpful and easy to talk to and very knowledgeable. Based on his recommendations I went ahead and ordered the Xcaliber 6+ (Silver w/ red logos) S Flex. Ordered it through Golfworks.com. With pure-ing the shaft, Prepping the tip and having the butt and tip cut to spec, total came out to $70.44 shipped (had a free shipping code). Should be here by Friday and I plan on gaming it this weekend. Will update with feedback...

I have the non tour 6+ (silver/red) on my driver as well as FW shaft on my 4 wood. Love the shafts. Trajectory is something I love. Just mid boring trajectory.

One of the plus thing about the shaft is it comes marked with the spine location already. If you ask Robin about it, he will tell you. It is not 100% accurate, however it is about 95% accurate as far as where the spine is. Point the red line at 12 o'clock location, white line towards the target...no need to spend extra money on spinning or anything.

For $50, if anyone wants to experiment (warning: it might stay in your bag), get a cheap driver head and put it together. If you want a shaft that is equivalent to your current shaft, contact Robin. He will help you out. He has been very up front about any shafts.

You can do some google search, and what you will find is many people who are pretty surprised by the performance at a such low cost.

Give it a try, if you are on the fence.

I have the non tour 6+ (silver/red) on my driver as well as FW shaft on my 4 wood. Love the shafts. Trajectory is something I love. Just mid boring trajectory.

One of the plus thing about the shaft is it comes marked with the spine location already. If you ask Robin about it, he will tell you. It is not 100% accurate, however it is about 95% accurate as far as where the spine is. Point the red line at 12 o'clock location, white line towards the target...no need to spend extra money on spinning or anything.

For $50, if anyone wants to experiment (warning: it might stay in your bag), get a cheap driver head and put it together. If you want a shaft that is equivalent to your current shaft, contact Robin. He will help you out. He has been very up front about any shafts.

You can do some google search, and what you will find is many people who are pretty surprised by the performance at a such low cost.

Give it a try, if you are on the fence.

So this same shaft arrived today and I rushed over to my local GS. I had the shaft PURE'd from golfworks but all that did was confirm the crude marks that come on the shaft! (waste of money). Once I got to the GS I had my club repair guy confirm the "PURE" which was actually spot on with what dooboo said above. Although not perfect it was pretty darn close and was only off by maybe 3-4 degrees (position on shaft rotated from spine mark). I used the tip from my Stock MFT Kai'li and put on an Iomic grip. Playing on course with it tomorrow but on initial impressions on the monitor my launch angle went up from 9-11 with my stock Kai'li to about 11-13 with the Xcaliber. I immediately saw gains of 15yrds on the monitor but can't wait to hit the course tomorrow. I will note that statistically both the stock Kai'li and the Xcaliber 6+ Frequencied at exactly 257-258 although the Xcaliber didn't feel as "whippy" and felt much more solid through impact! More on this soon...

Stumbled upon these shafts and I am curious as to what others think. I need to lower my launch angle some with swing and some with shaft.

Stumbled upon these shafts and I am curious as to what others think. I need to lower my launch angle some with swing and some with shaft.

I think they're great shafts at a great price if you can find one that suits your swing. I think you can talk to the designer, Robin Arthur, through their website and he will help you out.

I have a 910D2 with the non tour shaft and have seen awesome consistency and a nice mid-boring flight. I have a RBZ with The tour shaft Coming in this week. Great shafts IMO

Tried calling him twice. No answer either time. Now his mailbox is full. Anybody have issues getting in touch with this guy?

I emailed with him back and forth for about a day But decided to call him. I think it took me 3 or 4 tries but I eventually got him on the phone. Im sure his mailbox fills up quickly As he travels alot and makes his personal # public.

For those of you who have tried one of his shafts how did you determine whuch shaft would ideally suite you best?

I am going to try calling the guy some more. I will let you know what he says from my specs and you can go from there. Right now based on what I been looking at the 6+ in stiff is me.

I am going to try calling the guy some more. I will let you know what he says from my specs and you can go from there. Right now based on what I been looking at the 6+ in stiff is me.

Sounds good but how do/did you determine that?

I ask cause I am completely new to this whole shaft fitting thing! I need to get to a launch monitor to see what my numbers are cause I think this is the first step in the process. I know what my ball flight looks like and what happens when I swing hard but I thing some numbers might help.

Sounds good but how do/did you determine that?

I ask cause I am completely new to this whole shaft fitting thing! I need to get to a launch monitor to see what my numbers are cause I think this is the first step in the process. I know what my ball flight looks like and what happens when I swing hard but I thing some numbers might help.
I have hit on monitors at golftec but alot of what I am looking it is numbers close to what the old UST Progold 65 was. That was my favorite shaft at one time and I played it for many years.

For those of you who have tried one of his shafts how did you determine whuch shaft would ideally suite you best?

For me I was in between the Xcalibur 6+ Tour vs Non- Tour as I was looking for a higher launch. After speaking with Robin the Tour version is a low launch/spin shaft to thats why I went with the Non tour model.

My SS is right at 105mph and the 6+ is perfect

Back