So I went to my nearby Dick's Sporting Goods today...

Toddo

Reaction score
Handicap
to take advantage of the special where I could get double on my tradeins for a new R11 or RBZ driver or fairway wood. Looked first for a lefty RBZ 3 wood, none available. Then I found an R11 in a S shaft. I asked the kid on duty if they happened to have an RBZ in the back, he said no all he had was a hybrid. Then I asked if they could change the stiff on the R11 for a regular flex. He had to ask, but supervisor said no because of something to do with inventory control. Anyway, I told the kid I had three clubs I would have traded for either an RBZ or R11 3 wood. All he could tell me was sorry, nothing he could do other than to order me one. Poor customer service at Dick's to begin with, so I now know won't be buying any club there!

Pretty similar to the experience at the Dicks here. I walked in on a cold Saturday morning last month, the golf sales staff was all huddled in back with the European tour. They looked up and decided that the old guy (me) probably wasn't going to buy much. I decided not to interrupt them and went to Golf Discount and spent a couple hundred there instead.

So, they wouldn't allow you to trade your clubs towards the value of the ordering of a RBZ or R11 3 wood?

I didn't even go there InHart, I am just going to wait and order it from my local course pro shop. They will in turn take my trade ins and sell them on EBay and put the proceeds toward the cost of the new club.

I'd never thought about buying a club at Dick's. For the reasons you stated.

Tapaway!

I seriously doubt any store would switch shafts to

sell you a club? There are inventory issue with that

Just thought I would try and see if they would since they don't sell that much lefty stuff...I have had issues with that store before, have even reported them to Dick's customer service. Needless to say, there will NOT be another opportunity for them to earn my business!

My local store will switch out shafts with no question, I picked up the RBZ 9 degree tour, and the Pro switched out the S shaft for a R shaft. He didnt have any problem with it.

I just sent an email to Dick's customer service to tell them what happened to me today....We'll see what comes of it.

I've never considered buying from Dick's. I go in there all the time to browse and ask stupid questions to see if they know the answers. I know a guy who works there and he confirms all the bad stuff they do. He's working because they pay good and he doesn't have to do much. HE also knows nothing about equipment.

Me either. Never buy anything from them. They have some good clothing selections so I will buy that stuffs and tees and stuff but never clubs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I guess I'm lucky, I had a great experience at my local Dick's yesterday and got myself an R11s for free after trade ins.

I guess I'm lucky, I had a great experience at my local Dick's yesterday and got myself an R11s for free after trade ins.

That was what six sets of irons to trade in?

So, they wouldn't allow you to trade your clubs towards the value of the ordering of a RBZ or R11 3 wood?

I didn't even go there InHart, I am just going to wait and order it from my local course pro shop. They will in turn take my trade ins and sell them on EBay and put the proceeds toward the cost of the new club.

I read ya. Dicks sucks, imo. I never buy clubs from them...never have had a "good" experience to drive me to want to give them my business.

Only purchases I make there are when they have deals on golf balls, etc.

I personally don't even bother interacting with the Dick's golf shop guys at my local stores.. I've never heard of a good experience out of them, and I've got a handful of better options in my area.

Shame you didn't have luck with the trade in.

I just sent an email to Dick's customer service to tell them what happened to me today....We'll see what comes of it.
I understand your frustration, but a lot of times because of inventory stores wont have the exact club you are looking for and will have to order it. I dont see a problem with doing the trade and having them order the exact club the way you want it.

Down here, I have a heck of a time finding stiff flex, mostly it's regular and senior flex. Most times to take advantage of a deal or trade in, I am quite aware that what I want will have to be ordered.

Also, when in doubt, give Blind9 a shout. They have everything.

Actually, 1 set of irons, a putter, and last year's driver. All collecting dust except the driver.

May I ask what clubs? I might need to get myself an R11S from there then go trade for a RAZR Fit if I have enough value...

War Eagle, they had an R11 I would have traded for had the kid gotten them to change out the S shaft for an R...that would have been fine with me since I now have an R11 driver(waiting for a shaft and tip). He actually didn't care if I bought anything or not, because if he had, he would have worked harder to get someone to allow the shafts to be swapped out.

Sorry to hear about your experience. The pro at ours here is pretty good and so far I've had no issues.

I've had mostly good experiences with the local dicks. Man of the sales guys don't have much product knowledge, but that is expected at a sporting goods store. They have always been helpful and allowed me to hit any club I like. I know other big box stores won't allow you to trade out shafts either. Golf galaxy wouldn't allow me to on a couple used R9's.

I've had mostly good experiences with the local dicks. Man of the sales guys don't have much product knowledge, but that is expected at a sporting goods store. They have always been helpful and allowed me to hit any club I like. I know other big box stores won't allow you to trade out shafts either. Golf galaxy wouldn't allow me to on a couple used R9's.

GG is owned by dicks, whats funny is the guy at the new dicks near me is way more knowledgable than the donks at GG. Its so funny when I drop THP knowledge on them and they look like they have just seen a ghost. There favorite word is "not true"

So after that am I correct in assuming that your annoyed that the kid behind the counter had to order the club and couldn't magic one out of thin air? I don't see them having done anything wrong there. Stores run out/don't stock certain things all the time. No use getting all agro about it, you didn't even ask them if they would honor the deal on a club you ordered. Unless the kid was abusive or mean I would have just thought 'oh well they don't have it' and moved on.

GG is owned by dicks, whats funny is the guy at the new dicks near me is way more knowledgable than the donks at GG. Its so funny when I drop THP knowledge on them and they look like they have just seen a ghost. There favorite word is "not true"

There are some knowledgable people at my Dicks. Their is a PGA pro there who is up on things. There is also a guy and girl who played collegiate golf. The guy is really knowledgable. The girl doesn't know to much about the latest equipment, but can still be really helpful.

Other times you go in there and the only answer the flunky can give you is "well, the R11 is pretty much the best driver we have".

Back