Met an awesome individual on the course today

Chip

Reaction score
Handicap
Had a gentleman join us today that plays 9 holes a month.A super devoted father of 2 that is strictly a range golfer two to three times a week.He said the three hours a week on the range is a great stress reliever.But at the same time allows him to be at home and help raise his family.I found it interesting that he is heavy into golf lessons to better enhance his range sessions.So basically he takes golf lessons to hit it Better on the range and develop a swing that looks good to the eye.

Wondering how many on here would take golf lessons to just hit range balls versus implementing it playing for score?He takes lessons from a popular /expensive teacher locally.

Met an awesome individual on the course today

I know a guy like this - on the range several times a week, when the family is not at home, has a text book swing and gets a lesson a week. May play 6 rounds a year, would never think of missing any weekend time with his wife and kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a guy like this - on the range several times a week, when the family is not at home, has a text book swing and gets a lesson a week. May play 6 rounds a year, would never think of missing any weekend time with his wife and kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His game wasn't bad for not hardly playing.He told us not to keep his score,I'm pretty sure he shot well.Learning a ton about this great game the last half a year.Learning there's multiple ways to enjoy it.His teacher is out of my price range,but his swing looked awesome.Said he would go to the range and just video and use building his golf swing as a hobby versus actually playing golf

There was a guy who took lessons from my first pro. His whole first year playing he did nothing but take lessons and practiced. He never hit the course. His very first round ever he shot mid 70s. He was at the range for several hours everyday.

I wish I could be a range rat type of guy, but I hate the driving range.

Yep, everytime I go I end up hitting for 15 minutes then heading for the first tee.

Nope.

I don't think 'raising a family' requires missing out on golf each weekend. I spent time with my Son and my golf course today. Didn't miss a beat.

I am probably the wrong person to comment since I have no wife or kids but I don't get the not wanting to spend any time away from the family or the I don't have time to golf because of family. Seems perfectly reasonable to drop the kids off at a day camp or beach or grandparents and let the wifey do what she wants and you go play golf. I am sure it isn't that simple but if you want to play golf go play golf.

I didn't even pick up a club for 12 years when we raised our kids.Im thinking this guy is doing all he can to stay in touch with the game.But also stay close to his family as well.Some people can only spend time with the families on the weekends as both parents work ..etc etc.The four to five hour weekend rounds is a lot to give up in my opinion.I kinda respected this guy making due with what he has available to him

I don't like the assumption that a golfing father is an absentee father. Everyone's situation will be different but it is not an either-or scenario IMO.

I could see myself being a range rat. I love the driving range and its almost a hobby unto itself once the grass ranges open up.

I don't like the assumption that a golfing father is an absentee father. Everyone's situation will be different but it is not an either-or scenario IMO.

It's an interesting argument, that's for sure... I spent three hours in the yard doing work this morning -- starting to wonder if that was bad of me rather than hanging out inside?

Its a tough call that didnt hit home til the kids got older then it was like "wow thats a ton of time i could have been with them.."

Comes and goes for me...the abundance of weekends away doesnt help at all

Me too, rather play multiple balls on the course than beat balls for hours.

I try to play as much as I can now and hope that I can get my kids into golf when it comes time for that.

Nope.

I don't think 'raising a family' requires missing out on golf each weekend. I spent time with my Son and my golf course today. Didn't miss a beat.

This.

And you can bet your ass starting next year Lotte will be going with me to the boys team practices most days.

I'm thankful my kids are older but also involved heavily in sports.My time to play is mostly mid week early afternoons.Ive been at my job long enough that my schedule works in favor of weekday golf.This gentleman has no time since he works 9 to 5 Monday to Friday.Some people put family first,and I'm thinking he just does the range to justify this.The older the kids get the less me time we have.When my kids sports kicked in my me time was practically gone for 12'years.The four to five hours of golf wasn't in the cards

Good on that guy for enjoying the game, even if he doesn't get to play holes all that often. If he's going to the range 2-3 times per week and spending a total of 3 hours per week on the range, he only has 1-1.5 hours at a time to spend on golf. He probably can't squeeze in 9 holes on a regular basis in that situation, so the range is a better fit for him. Would be nice if he had an option around him to play 3 holes or 6 holes for a fee less than 9 holes, but that's another discussion entirely.

I'm leaving now before the golf vs. family discussion takes a turn for the worse, which it always seems to do at some point.

This.

And you can bet your ass starting next year Lotte will be going with me to the boys team practices most days.
that is great.I don't see it this way.But was my choice,I was all 100% family

This.

I like that a lot. Wife and I joked about coaching her girls team with Calvin as a mascot hahaha

Im lucky enough to play during the day when they are in school. But when i do play on the weekends they do their salon and shopping stuff. If i travel for golf the family comes with me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

When my kids were old enough to be involved in organized sports (soccer, basketball, baseball/softball) the weekends were pretty much taken up by their games. My choice was to put aside golf, I didn't feel I had the time or energy for both. I agree ArmyGolf that a golfing father is not necessarily an absentee father, everyone's situation is different.
In general though, I do like spending time on the range, another thing ArmyGolf and I see eye to eye on.

That's great that he takes time for his family. But I think he would be best playing more rounds to put in to practice what he learned. The range is usually a lot different from playing for real.

I don't even take lessons to play in general. So no.

I just think if your not playing actual golf.Than spending money to get better is futile.He was also spending an outrageous amount on lessons.Again hitting range balls and just building a golf swing look isn't real golf to me.I think you either practice or play practice to shoot lower scores.I thought his story was awesome,but i wouldn't spend the funds on lessons like he does

It could be said taking lessons is a waste of money if you don't play tournaments. If he gets joy from a good range session like you get joy from a good round with friends then is it really a waste?

That is very true

Back