Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Driver

It looks like they took a lot of ideas/tech's and blended them, in that crown I see a lot of a lot of different things out there and I dig that.

I've hit every Cobra driver since the S9, so, I expect to continue the trend at some point.

It looks like they took a lot of ideas/tech's and blended them, in that crown I see a lot of a lot of different things out there and I dig that.

I've hit every Cobra driver since the S9, so, I expect to continue the trend at some point.
I thought a similar thing. I definitely see some influences or similarities to things from others. But it’s cool that they added to it and combined them to make it their own unique offering.

This one is definitely intriguing.

I think I'll be updating my driver next year, and I'm really interested in giving this one a fair shot at the bag (along with a couple of other clubs that aren't out yet).

The first thing that jumped out at me was the shape. It really flows in a unique way as you move towards the back of the clubhead on the sole - Which is always a worry point that the profile is going to move away from what we perceive to be traditional. Fortunately, at address it's really not noticeable. It was a combination of drag and moving the weight to the best possible location, which for us golfers means a better chance of maximizing our potential.

The second thing that jumped early at me was the crown, as there is definitely a lot going on there (like many companies). That said, you get this club down on the ground, or behind a ball, and suddenly it all just kind of blends. It's great! I remember them talking about Rickie Fowler discussing the way it framed the ball (in a positive way) and I absolutely agree. It's an easy presentation on the eyes.

Is Lindsay referring to the Helium or is there another surprise up their sleeve?

Shaft Choices: All aftermarket shafts
UST Mamiya Helium 50 R/L
Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6 R/S/X
Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 S/X
Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black S/X

Is Lindsay referring to the Helium or is there another surprise up their sleeve?

She is speaking of the Helium.

She is speaking of the Helium.

Thanks; got confused since she said wait till you see as if something else was coming later. This with the Attas would look wild, but kind of uniform too.

I absolutely love that they are bringing out two colors, and more specifically, that one has a gloss crown, while the other is more of a satin profile. I personally leaned towards the white/grey black profile because I've never been much of a yellow guy, but I could easily use one or the other interchangeably. They talked a lot about those incredible exotic cars with the yellow paint jobs, with the soft red accents - and it seems like that was their inspiration for the coloring on F9.

When they started to talk about the carbon wrap I kind of sat there just smiling, because it truly shows how the industry is evolving these already active ideas into more and more impressive weight saving designs. We're talking about another 10 grams of weight that they have the freedom to place lower on the head, leaving little doubt that the CG is in the perfect place. Absolutely love that.

People talked a bit about sound with some fear, but it sounds GOOD. I have always liked that Cobra has a bit of extra 'thud' in the contact sound, making me feel like I'm slapping a potato with a ping pong paddle as a secondary sound to contact (yeah that was dramatic). I'd say the active cues to the ear offer plenty of rich contact sounds, with that added extra sound still present. It's a tough validation hitting indoors, what seems like ages ago, though.

A quick note on the Avalanche. Most are viewing it as white, but its actually got a bit of gray to it as well.

It reminds me of the color ford has in the raptor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a mash of a lot of tech on the top. I want this.

Is there any idea when this will be in the hands of fitters? I see in store Jan 18th, I was planning a fitting for end of November and would love to test this out.

The final thing I want to talk about is the decision to go single head, multiple loft. I am really intrigued by it. They have implemented basically a two zone system to the face, where lower on the head spins and launches differently from the top of the face. This design changes depending on the head loft, which closes the gap on that idea of '+' drivers being lower launch/spin. I had a chance to hit both of the lofts in both color profiles, and I am still trying to figure out which one I preferred.

I just can't say enough about the presentation, technology, and monitor experience I had. There is so much going on with F9, I think people would be crazy to not spend some time with one before they buy their next driver. This is probably as excited I am about a Cobra release since the King LTD which basically had to be ripped out of my hands.

Is there any idea when this will be in the hands of fitters? I see in store Jan 18th, I was planning a fitting for end of November and would love to test this out.

I was told fitting carts could be in before 1/18, but I am not sure end of November you will see them.

I didn't think they could get more aerodynamic, but the aeroficient look with less drag, but keeping the CNC milled face and the smartpad is huge.

I actually think I like the Yellow better than the white. Cannot wait to hit this. Also going from the two options to one is great. The HL model is a good idea as well. I wonder what the ladies colorways are.

Continuing to offer tour length is really smart.

Great write-up.

This would look so good with the attas plugged in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When first seeing the pics I thought that front weight was a slider, this picture is helpful. This seems to be modeled more after the F8+ with the front back weights, surprised there is no more draw setting actually.

Dude I thought the same exact thing until I read the home page article. Would have been nice to see that draw and fade bias slider but this driver still looks pretty darn fast and mean. Thankfully you cannot see the yellow at address.

One thing I really love is that Cobra is switching all their MyFly8 adapters to be -1.5, STD, +1.5, etc. for the loft. Now it's much simpler for those who like to swap out shafts everywhere and/or test the different head lofts.

I didn't think they could get more aerodynamic, but the aeroficient look with less drag, but keeping the CNC milled face and the smartpad is huge.

I actually think I like the Yellow better than the white. Cannot wait to hit this. Also going from the two options to one is great. The HL model is a good idea as well. I wonder what the ladies colorways are.

Continuing to offer tour length is really smart.

Great write-up.

I love Cobra for offering this straight up. I know you can do the same for any driver, but it's nice to have the option right in front of you.

One thing I really love is that Cobra is switching all their MyFly8 adapters to be -1.5, STD, +1.5, etc. for the loft. Now it's much simpler for those who like to swap out shafts everywhere and/or test the different head lofts.

Highly underrated change there. Just makes more sense now they don't need different adapters for different clubs

Good grief. Whoever is in charge of shelf appeal at Cobra is playing a different game than the rest of the OEMs.

Every. Single. Club.

Both the Yellow and Avalanche versions look great. I have a feeling the "Tour Length" version is going to be a huge hit for Cobra.

It looks super busy, but Cobra has been down that road before and with most busy looking drivers, I forget about the looks after a few swings. The one thing that gets lost on me, mostly because I've become numb to it, is the aerodynamic talk. For the most part, companies have been pushing the faster & more efficient aerodynamic shape for some years now, and at the end of the day, that is something for me that is hard to quantify. In a way I blame PING for that when they first brought out the turbulators, and then other companies have done their own twists on fins, speed steps, micro vortex generators(or Michael Vrska Generators). This one kind of looks like a mashup of several designs, both within the walls and outside of Cobra. But one thing that we have come to know and expect is that Cobra R&D has push a lot of tech in to a head.

I'm a fan of the 1 head design and then tweaking the profile by loft. I remember Callaway doing that with the V series, and I thought that was relatively smart. It should help on multiple facets, between customer confusion and eliminating some SKUs on the back end.

It looks super busy, but Cobra has been down that road before and with most busy looking drivers, I forget about the looks after a few swings. The one thing that gets lost on me, mostly because I've become numb to it, is the aerodynamic talk. For the most part, companies have been pushing the faster & more efficient aerodynamic shape for some years now, and at the end of the day, that is something for me that is hard to quantify. In a way I blame PING for that when they first brought out the turbulators, and then other companies have done their own twists on fins, speed steps, micro vortex generators(or Michael Vrska Generators). This one kind of looks like a mashup of several designs, both within the walls and outside of Cobra. But one thing that we have come to know and expect is that Cobra R&D has push a lot of tech in to a head.

I'm a fan of the 1 head design and then tweaking the profile by loft. I remember Callaway doing that with the V series, and I thought that was relatively smart. It should help on multiple facets, between customer confusion and eliminating some SKUs on the back end.

I was thinking about this aerodynamics package, and what I find so different is the rear sole of it. Looks a lot lower/deeper than what I'm accustomed to. Like the sole is flatter. I'm a fan of companies taking risks and pushing innovation; think this may be one of those times. Like you though, I wonder how much effect the improved aerodynamics has on club head speed. Even if it's 0.5 mph more, that would be an improvement though, right? Not one that we can notice in hand, but one that can be proven via robot testing. Would be nice to have that quantified.

1st-1.jpg

Back