The Official Tiger Woods Thread

Whoa, whoa, whoa...pump the brakes with all that fancy book learnin’ and new math there junior...

OWGR is calculated over 2 years... from their website:

The World Ranking Points for each player are accumulated over a two year “rolling” period with the points awarded for each tournament maintained for a 13-week period to place additional emphasis on recent performances.
Ranking points are then reduced in equal decrements for the remaining 91 weeks of the two year Ranking period. Each player is then ranked according to his average points per tournament, which is determined by dividing his total number of points by the tournaments he has played over that two-year period.
There is a minimum divisor of 40 tournaments over the two year ranking period and a maximum divisor of a player’s last 52 tournaments.

Will he play 14 more events this year?

GOlf channel seemed to think Monday that his number would be 13-15 more this year

Also, the loft of the clubs has changed, a 6 iron in 1997 had the same loft as a 7 iron today.

That may be the case for CB’s and GI irons, but blades haven’t changed nearly as much. Tiger even has his lofts weakened from stock specs to play the same way his irons played in 1997, +/-1* anyway. I think I saw a 36* 7i and a 49* PW he was playing.

Will he play 14 more events this year?

It really doesn't matter. Right now his world ranking formula is (OWGR pts earned)/40. That 40 won't change unless he plays 15 more events then it will be a 41. So every point he earns in every event he plays is going into the top of that fraction. Right now he has 309.47 divided by 40 events for a 7.7368. DJ has 470.54 points divided by 47 events for a 10.0114 rating. Basically your world golf rating is an average of the # of points you earn per event divided by the # of events you have played over a 2 year period. It is weighted toward the most recent events as well. So DJ earns 10.0114 pts per event played. IF you put Tiger's actual events played of 26 in the denominator of his equation he is earning 11.9 pts per event played.

Another Tiger question. I kind of think he and Nike should rebrand and go with a new logo. The TW is not a timeless logo. It just doesn't have the staying power of Jordan's jumpman or Arnie's umbrella. If they want to sell Tiger stuff forever they need something better imo. The Frank logo he had on his polo this week might be one to consider.

question for some of the more seasoned members around here.

when jack won the 86 masters, did it inspire kids?

i was on the practice putting green yesterday, and a dad had his son with him. the kid was probably 4 or 5. the first putt the kid made, he threw his arms in the air and yelled “i’m tiger woods!”

i found it amazing that he is still so influential even to a brand new generation of golfer. i wouldn’t think jack had that kind of staying power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i was on the practice putting green yesterday, and a dad had his son with him. the kid was probably 4 or 5. the first putt the kid made, he threw his arms in the air and yelled “i’m tiger woods!”

i found it amazing that he is still so influential even to a brand new generation of golfer. i wouldn’t think jack had that kind of staying power.

So you think it might be tough to compare since Jack probably didn't have as much visibility as we have now days? Granted to a 4 year old the social media overload probably doesn't apply but Tiger's face was plastered all over TV for the last week. I have no idea if that was the case back in 86.

Hatf to tell from the video, but I'm not sure it would have helped it to aim over the bunkers. I think it would have hit short of the bunker and still ended up wet. It was just his time to choke, I guess. Well, then and on his 3rd shot on 15.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That same shot over the bunker would have been in the sand, not the creek.

Another Tiger question. I kind of think he and Nike should rebrand and go with a new logo. The TW is not a timeless logo. It just doesn't have the staying power of Jordan's jumpman or Arnie's umbrella. If they want to sell Tiger stuff forever they need something better imo. The Frank logo he had on his polo this week might be one to consider.

I still like his original logo way better than his current one.

39b97fd371b472e3a8dc8be11d6ce45e.jpg

When I was in middle school I had a black Nike hat with red bill that had his old logo and a metal Nike swoosh on the front. That's still my favorite hat I've ever owned.

I'm not in the "seasoned" category, but I will say that I was a Jack fan as a kid because my dad was a big fan - I'm sure we're seeing some of that now as people who grew up and got into the game because of Tiger are teaching their kids now.

I still like his original logo way better than his current one.

39b97fd371b472e3a8dc8be11d6ce45e.jpg

When I was in middle school I had a black Nike hat with red bill that had his old logo and a metal Nike swoosh on the front. That's still my favorite hat I've ever owned.

I actually got an unworn pair of his original shoes with that logo on them from Goodwill a few years ago and stashed them away with the hopes they might be worth money like unworn original Jordan's. I don't know if that will ever be the case though.

So you think it might be tough to compare since Jack probably didn't have as much visibility as we have now days? Granted to a 4 year old the social media overload probably doesn't apply but Tiger's face was plastered all over TV for the last week. I have no idea if that was the case back in 86.

i wouldn’t think a 4-5yo is consuming any media that would have focused on tiger. i think it would be limited to watching the tournament.

It definitely makes comparisons hard. Then combine they are not playing the same courses with the same equipment against the same people and it’s impossible.

I do think as youngsters those with kids in the 80s emulated the visible athletes. Then again I learned in this thread that losing in earlier in the playoffs is better than losing in the finals, so that your finals stats are 100%.

So clearly sanity is not the same as fanaticism.

It definitely makes comparisons hard. Then combine they are not playing the same courses with the same equipment against the same people and it’s impossible.

I do think as youngsters those with kids in the 80s emulated the visible athletes. Then again I learned in this thread that losing in earlier in the playoffs is better than losing in the finals, so that your finals stats are 100%.

So clearly sanity is not the same as fanaticism.

did they emulate older visible athletes? i think that’s what stood out to me. tiger is OLD by professional athlete standards. yet little kids are back to being mesmerized by him. i’m wondering whether athletes of other eras were like that to a young generation.

did they emulate older visible athletes? i think that’s what stood out to me. tiger is OLD by professional athlete standards. yet little kids are back to being mesmerized by him. i’m wondering whether athletes of other eras were like that to a young generation.

Sure. You don’t think kids emulated Jordan when he came back from retirement? Or smooth like Fred Couples during his later years?

Hell I would say right now the two most popular golfers are older in Tiger and Phil and I don’t think it’s all that close.

That same shot over the bunker would have been in the sand, not the creek.
Looked close. Too hard to tell without being able to pause it at impact.

Nice to scoop this up while grocery shopping

8fa679c1f3332ac4c92aafd2b49a5976.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to scoop this up while grocery shopping

8fa679c1f3332ac4c92aafd2b49a5976.jpg

Thanks for the reminder. I need to get some, too.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to get some, too.

Might as well in case he signs it one day haha

Did you guys see C.T. Pan's post-win interview on Sunday? His last words were, "Go Tiger!" I'm now a C.T. Pan fan for life.

Might as well in case he signs it one day haha

I have a bunch of his early 2000's issues. Only seems natural to get a bunch of these.

After he wins the single season slam this year, they're gonna make me rich.

Did you guys see C.T. Pan's post-win interview on Sunday? His last words were, "Go Tiger!" I'm now a C.T. Pan fan for life.

I saw a bit of his interview but was busy on the grill and didn't actually hear much of it.

That is awesome!

I've had these Golf World magazines since they were issued. Might be worth something some day.

4%2024%2019%20Tiger%20a_zpspymzump6.jpg

4%2024%2019%20Tiger%20b_zpsrb3r0zic.jpg

Back