Tiger... Love'em or Hate'em

I like what Tiger does for the sport in bringing in lots of interest to golf and the PGA tour BUT I do not like when he slams/throws his clubs and cusses when he is playing poorly. I also don't really like the fact that they always show every single shot he hits no matter what position he is on the leader board.

I used to be a big Tiger fan, now I'm not rooting against him, I just dont really root for him. I just want him to be relevant again because it is good for golf, and I love golf. The PGA tour is just better with a winning Tiger, and I don't care what anyone says about how they like "parity" sports all always better when there's a dominant team or player that everyone else is shooting for.

He's still fun to watch, but I've lost all respect for him and I'll root against him every time. Brilliance on the field, court, course, diamond, etc. does not excuse deplorable behavior off of it.

I don't love him nor hate him, in fact, I just don't care any more about him.
I was always amazed at his ablility on the course, but I was real tired of everything in golf was about Tiger.
I found it very refreshing to not hear so much about him. Now it's back to "what about Tiger?"
I'm already tired of it.

Was he amazing? Yes. Will he be amazing again? I don't know....no one does.
His head is so messed up, there is no telling if it will ever get straightened up.
Until it does....he will never have the same performances as in the past, IMHO.

I have disliked him as a person since the over-the-top fist-pump on the seventeenth at TPC in the US Amateur. Don't like the cursing, the celebrating, the ultra selectivity in playing events.

I understand some of it but don't like it.

On the other hand I still pay more attention when he is in contention. I still expect him to pull off some miracle and win the event.

Is he good for golf? Not sure; he has raised interest and competitiveness but drawn down the level of behavior, at least the visibility, on and off the course.

Will he win at the Players? I would not bet against him. (Unless you give me the field)

Don't hate him don't love him. I just wish he wold decide who he is. Tiger needs to forget about making guys like us happy and go shoot some scores. My prediction is 30-40th place.

I love to watch TW play. It is a little different now because you dont know which TW is showing up

you gotta love him at the end of the day. when on the course he has to be the most followed player by TV crews. off the course he is a very private man and i respect that

I think he has a shot at winning, though I did not pick him on my Taylormade contest entry...

Neither, I find myself rooting for him lately whereas before, I was always rooting for someone to try to keep up with him. The networks are the ones that ruin the coverage not TW. I never did care much about his scandal, my man code tells me to mind my own business.

I've never been a fan of TW. But I neither love him or hate him. Why does it have to be one or the other?

Is love to hate him a choice?

I have huge respect for his golfing ability and love to watch him play, but understand that even as a kid his personality was an "acquired taste."

Tiger is a big reason I got into golf. I watched him blow away the field at the '97 Masters and a few years later I started to play golf myself. Until the last few years my affection for him has diminished mostly because he became a big baby on the course and it was not fun to watch. Even before the scandal it didn't appear he was enjoying golf anymore. Even today I don't really know if he still enjoys golf.

Tiger's also the main reason I started golf. I think it's pretty obvious the guy's a self-absorbed jerk, but his game, when on, is just amazing to watch.

Not really going to cheer for or against him, but I do wish I can see more of his A-game.

I love him on the course. When he is on, it is simply amazing, and everyone knows it. I think it was Jack that once told him that he was playing a game with which he was unfamiliar. It is just ethereal, watching him when he is on fire. I can't help but love that part of him.

I'd hate to be a fence sitter but I'm rather indifferent when it comes to Tiger. If he wins, good for him. His winning is good for golf no doubt, but I wouldn't call myself a Tiger fan or hater.

I like him. I don't care much about his personal life, but I like his game.

I think he is on his way back... well after he finally gets healthy.

A friend in HS (who is the same age as Tiger) played in a few junior events each summer. We got a golf magazine in our local clubhouse that had junior rankings so I would always look to see where he was ranked. Usually he was in the 50s or 60s since he didn't play in as many events as some of the others. After a while I noticed that some kid named 'Tiger Woods' was always at the top of the rankings and asked him about it. All he said was "he is REAL good". My friend was never worse than 30th in 4 years in the state HS tournament, top 5 his junior year, champion his senior year, so he could play. He played with Tiger one time and just marveled as to how much better he (Tiger) was than him. Just described him as being on a different level than everyone else.

So I have been following Tiger since the junior days, at least keeping track of his progress to see if he would pan out. Did he ever. So I would put me in the 'love'em' category. I just always liked it that here was a guy a couple years younger than me who was the best. Golf is just more exciting when he is playing and especially when he is in contention. You never know when he will pull something off that shouldn't be possible.

I watched this years masters on TV, and while Tiger didn't win, I can't think of a shot in the whole tournament that is better than this.

3W. 278yds to the hole.

i still love watching him play, his personal life is just that, personal, he made a mistake and admitted he was wrong. I hope he gets back to where he was at his prime or close to it since i doubt its possible to get back to where he was, he makes the game more enjoyable to watch and also brings more fans in that might not watch unless he is playing, like it or not he is great for the game of golf.

Hard to not like to watch him play when he was in that early stretch. Not so much lately. I hate what he did to his family first and what he did to everyone else by making us think he was something he was not, but at the end of the day, I find myself more and more not feeling right by judging guys like him too harshly. I have said in the past that I think he is a scumbag, and I still feel that way, but I also feel everyone deserves a second chance.

For me it all comes down to what he does from here forward. He has not really in my eyes, made a real good effort to change, but I'm not around him 24/7 so I don't really know for sure.

I don't feel right hating the guy, but I sure hate everything he did.

I'm a Phil Mickelson fan. Tiger fans hate Phil and I hate Tiger. I can respect his skills and abilities and achievements as a golfer but hate everything else. I really hate him in interviews, he's so plastic and fake.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I gotta admit it made The Masters interesting when he shot up the leaderboard on Sunday. But it was also enjoyable to see him not do anything on the back nine.

I couldn't care less if the guy ever wins again, although I don't see that happening. I do hope he doesn't break Jack's record though. Nor Sam's.

A side note: I just noticed that Jack's first win AND his last win were Majors (1962 U.S. Open and 1986 Masters).

Back