Edel SMS Wedges Review

How long did they take?
I'm not entirely sure how long it typically takes, because mine were built by Club Champion, then sent to Edel for stamping. Took about 4 weeks going that route. I imagine it's much quicker if it's through Edel directly.

Got my shipping notice today

5696919F-66A8-4A79-936E-9DF8DFBBC216.jpeg

Finally got my Edel wedges out to the practice green to prepare for a round tomorrow. I don't know if it's the tech or the fact these were professionally fit, but they're just a different animal compared to my previous Cobra MIM wedges. I didn't hit them side by side, but by my recollection, the Edel feel like more of a solid thump. The Cobra felt great, these just feel more dense, I guess is the best way to put it. The biggest problem I'm having right now is that I have to recalibrate all my distances because these spin a TON more. I kept preparing for my typical 2-3 yards of roll out and the ball was just stopping on the first bounce. Even with the 50*, it was stopping quicker than my old 56* Cobra. Once I get more confident with them, I'll definitely be able to attack pins a little more around the green, because even my mishits stop short enough to not punish me. Whereas before I was worried about the ball running out to the other side of the green. Looking forward to swinging them again tomorrow and in the future.

Shafting this one up for today’s round.

27544732-B1AF-4485-B870-633E85DA4171.jpegWe

Man those look soooo good. Are you center, heel or toe weight?

Man those look soooo good. Are you center, heel or toe weight?

Im toe weight. When chipping I have a tendency to close the face pretty fast and since that is what I would do with this club, putting it in the toe, allows for me to be aggressive and still have the face remain square to target.

Time to get these a workout - golf has been a bit sparse over the last couple weeks for me.

Should I hit the range with them? What should I look for in their shots?

Time to get these a workout - golf has been a bit sparse over the last couple weeks for me.

Should I hit the range with them? What should I look for in their shots?

How did the range go?

Put the 58 in the bag for the last round with the weight in the toe, where I was fit for. My chipping has always been a little out to in, causing me to be slightly closed at impact and low and behold I found myself square to the target. Coincidence or wedge, no way for me to know, but I like what I am seeing.

I love these wedges, great feel and so versatile

I love these wedges, great feel and so versatile

They really do feel a bit dense and full which offers some great feedback by sound.

Testing thread has me looking at these again. Tempted to just pull the trigger, but struggling with which grinds I'd want. I've been playing an X grind for the last few years. I love it from the sand, but once summer hits it's a bit much for some of the firmer conditions we get here. Actually thinking C grind on the 58 and V grind on the 54. :unsure:

Looking for some Grind advice......

I'm interested in a 50 deg wedge. this will be used for full swings and a lot of green side chip/pitches. So it's a work horse club. Probably not a bunker tool.

I am "NOT steep" is a kind way to say it. The C grind description talks about being good for shallower players. But does the THP brain trust think that would be a good choice for a 50 degree and my shallow swing?

I'm interested in a 50 deg wedge. this will be used for full swings and a lot of green side chip/pitches. So it's a work horse club. Probably not a bunker tool.

I am "NOT steep" is a kind way to say it. The C grind description talks about being good for shallower players. But does the THP brain trust think that would be a good choice for a 50 degree and my shallow swing?

I think so.

I'm a shallow swinger and was fit for the C-grind in 50 and 58. I think you're on the right track (y)

So looking for a little advice on what loft/grind to choose for the Edel wedge testing. On Monday I’m going to Sub 70 golf to get fitted for irons so once I get those I’ll have a 45º PW and 50º AW. So my initial thought was to get a 56º. When I swing my current SW I usually don’t take much if any divot so with that in mind and from what I’ve read on Edel’s website a C grind sound like a good choice.

I know it’s difficult to say without seeing my swing/game but does my choice sound right or am I off track somewhere? @Jman and @Canadan or anyone else really what are your thoughts?

So looking for a little advice on what loft/grind to choose for the Edel wedge testing. On Monday I’m going to Sub 70 golf to get fitted for irons so once I get those I’ll have a 45º PW and 50º AW. So my initial thought was to get a 56º. When I swing my current SW I usually don’t take much if any divot so with that in mind and from what I’ve read on Edel’s website a C grind sound like a good choice.

I know it’s difficult to say without seeing my swing/game but does my choice sound right or am I off track somewhere? @Jman and @Canadan or anyone else really what are your thoughts?
I definitely fall into the "little to no divot" group and the C grind has been great for me. I play in really firm conditions and it feels like the grind helps it just glide right through the ball. I've had wedges in the past that would catch the leading edge and I'd get the chunky shots. Hasn't been the case with the Edel. Even my typical thin miss comes out with extra spin and makes a bad shot into a manageable shot.

Back