Would You Sponsor Him: Bryson DeChambeau Edition

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's say you were put in charge of a new emerging equipment company. Maybe a brand from the past, maybe a brand new company. Bryson DeChambeau becomes a free agent, would you make him the face of your tour staff?

Keep in mind that would mean dedicating R&D to One Length which is only being done by a select few currently.
The flip side being that outside of Tiger Woods, nobody is getting more TV time than Bryson.

So what do you think THPers?

Just from the outside looking in I don't think I would do it.

I would make an offer, but not break the bank to land him.

****. This is hard.

Personally? No.

Business wise for the eyes it brings, good and bad? Absolutely.

I pass. A lot of off course stuff that I wouldn't want to deal with. Regarding One Length I know sales data says otherwise but I have yet to see a set of OL being played on the course.

So point number two. Do people turn into watching BDC for his driver length and long drive contests or his one-length irons? So despite him previously bashing his driver, people really watch him for his long ball and not his OL wedges. So I'll contradict myself and say maybe sign him for his long game and the OL will be gravy.

I would, just because of the exposure. Hard to argue the amount of tv time he’s getting, and the amount of time analysts spend talking about him. It’s a name and a logo being seen, that’s hard to turn down.

• Admin
Do people turn into watching BDC for his driver length and long drive contests or his one-length irons? So despite him previously bashing his driver, people really watch him for his long ball and not his OL wedges. So I'll contradict myself and say maybe sign him for his long game and the OL will be gravy.

As a staff member he would be playing the driver, so that seems like a positive.

Whats the saying....any press is good press? He's young and has his moments but he could be the face of your brand for a while I think I would.

Yes, as long as he puts someone else's wedges in his bag.

No, just because of the one length thing. Otherwise, absolutely.

man....i don't know....this is a tough one for me.

on hand i'm not sure that anyone generates more buzz than he does.

on the other hand it's not always the greatest buzz (definitely not unique to him).

if i can convince myself that there's not such thing as bad publicity, yes i pull the trigger and do it - but i'm not quite there yet.

I for sure would. He is a conversation topic and that is perfect for marketing.

I would make an offer, but not break the bank to land him.
^ I'm there too.

I'd rather have him on staff than Koepka. Koepka is just DJ's (lack of) personality with a bad attitude added to it.

Absolutely. With aggressive wording on how our product is 'reported' to avoid another Open Champ story haha

Whether liked or not, he is insanely polarizing and gets people thinking. Also, he put one length on the map. It is SO hard to ignore that.

Yes, absolutely. Take the good with bad and there’s a lot of good.

Man that is a tough question. 6 months ago I would have said yes absolutely. Right now I'd be very on the fence about it. He hasn't done himself any favors lately.

I absolutely would. I think his exposure (and the exposure of the equipment) could have a bigger incremental impact on an emerging company than it does on an established brand.

Sure, I would sign him, but I would keep him on a short leash with a series of 1 year contracts so I could dump him in a New York minute if needed.
He does garner the lion's share of the media right now and with him dipping his toes in the World Long Drive competition, he may gain even more of the share.

The old adage of "There is no such thing as bad publicity" probably holds pretty true with Bryson and an OEM.

Sure, I would sign him, but I would keep him on a short leash with a series of 1 year contracts so I could dump him in a New York minute if needed.
Wouldn't that also mean he could dump you in a NY Minute?

I wouldn't sponsor him. He gets a lot of eyes and his ability to push the boundaries is impressive, but man he seems like a douche.

I would have a long conversation with his old caddie to make sure I knew what I was getting into. Probably I would not do it. The people you work with make all the difference in the world and he is a self centered jerk. I haven't worked with one of those yet who was pleasant to be around and definitely not pleasant to be on a team with.

I would have a long conversation with his old caddie to make sure I knew what I was getting into. Probably I would not do it. The people you work with make all the difference in the world and he is a self centered jerk. I haven't worked with one of those yet who was pleasant to be around and definitely not pleasant to be on a team with.

I think Tim Tucker got paid a lot of money to be very positive about BAD.

I think Tim Tucker got paid a lot of money to be very positive about BAD.

Do you? I honestly am not sure about that. Personally there is a perception and a reality and while perception comes to the forefront a lot with social media, and much of it rightly so, the reality is that its a pretty big leap to go from there to paid off for positivity, right? Or is it natural thinking? I honestly dont know anymore.

No.

Back