Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
New company by the name of Piper Golf has entered into the fray. The story goes after playing for years, the founder found himself trying to decide what golf ball would be best for his game, only to find out that the costs were prohibitive and finding the right ball had become problematic.

In this episode of TESTED! we take three different Piper Golf balls and start with a bit of the technology found in each one. From there hop into the THP Tech Studio hitting bay for some swings and then finally, sit down in table view and breakdown the data to find out if they work as...[/quote]

Continue reading...

Thanks for the review, that video was pretty darn good. Seemed like the balls performed as described. I'm not a huge firm golf ball person, as I like some spin reduction off the tee being steep, but the price is definitely attractive.

That durability though is pretty rough.

Thanks Dan and James for the video on the Piper balls. I especially enjoyed the testing of the Sirloin covered 😆 Piper Blue.

The durability issue with the cover as shown in the photo in the article is interesting. I usually tend to play the same ball for multiple rounds and the ball shows significantly less wear than the ball you depicted in the photo. So, the durability is a concern.

On the other hand, price and performance are attractive features.

Thanks for the great video review. Seems like these are some solid balls that perform pretty much as advertised at really good prices.

I enjoyed that video. I’m hand the balls look good, have a nice alignment. They do feel firm but not like rocks and I would clearly agree the cover durability is an issue. At that price the question is do you even care?

@Canadan was Pipe-ing it in the studio. I would have probably went with the Black before the video, but the low spin of the blue has me rethinking that, and I like to have low spin off the tee.

I wonder what’s going on with those covers though. With the DTC market as robust as it is now, I’m not sure people would ignore something like that. It looks like a dog ate the ball in that last photo.

These are interesting in that the way they classify them, handicap and 7i distance, is a little odd to me. That said, data was what they claimed. Durability though….not ideal.

I enjoyed that video. I’m hand the balls look good, have a nice alignment. They do feel firm but not like rocks and I would clearly agree the cover durability is an issue. At that price the question is do you even care?
If it takes several holes or even half a round, I don’t think people care. If it takes a few shots, then it has to become a care for most imo.

Thanks for the great video review. Seems like these are some solid balls that perform pretty much as advertised at really good prices.
So you are in the camp that the durability described in the article wouldn't bother you?

So you are in the camp that the durability described in the article wouldn't bother you?

Yes it would and I would personally be very hesitant to buy them based on that. I am the guy that plays a ball 3 - 4 rounds before changing it out as long as the ball steers clear of cart paths.

I thought it was interesting that chasing low spin the way I do, I immediately got sent into the cheapest offering (blue). Hard to say whether it was the best option on paper with what the data presented, but it might end up being the most durable of the bunch.

Hope this video helps you guys!

I thought it was interesting that chasing low spin the way I do, I immediately got sent into the cheapest offering (blue). Hard to say whether it was the best option on paper with what the data presented, but it might end up being the most durable of the bunch.

Hope this video helps you guys!
After testing them out further, it is definitely the most durable, which makes sense being surlyn (no the #FlyingSteak). Both the Black and Gold had some issues after a half a dozen shots or so. Hopeful the company can sort that out.

After testing them out further, it is definitely the most durable, which makes sense being surlyn (no the #FlyingSteak). Both the Black and Gold had some issues after a half a dozen shots or so. Hopeful the company can sort that out.

One would hope they can address the durability issues that are apparent in the black and yellow. Aside from the durability concerns, the price and performance are positives.

Is this typical of first runs of these type of balls? It seems like it for whatever reason.

Is this typical of first runs of these type of balls? It seems like it for whatever reason.

I honestly don't know the answer to that. I know Cut's first run had no issues and then their second run had durability issues similar to these. They were fixed pretty quickly though. I am unsure what the plan is from Piper to fix.

great review and looks like those balls spin a ton! I would be most interested to try the gold but I would have a problem with that durability.... Reminds of the the RB TourX when it first released. Highest spinning ball and most controllable I ever tried, but after 1 drive and 1 6iron into the green the cover was gouged. Played out the rest of the dozen but did not purchase again even tho I loved the performance

If these had the same durability as my current ball I would happily play them, but my gamer ball can get me through 3 rounds unless I hit trees or cart path

I really like the idea of the blue balls. At that price it's worth a try. Been playing Pro V1s and now I realize I probably need something with lower spin. That alignment guide is solid. Thanks for the review, will definitely check them out.

I was never really in on this ball. But the durability is such I think i am even more out.

great review and looks like those balls spin a ton! I would be most interested to try the gold but I would have a problem with that durability.... Reminds of the the RB TourX when it first released. Highest spinning ball and most controllable I ever tried, but after 1 drive and 1 6iron into the green the cover was gouged. Played out the rest of the dozen but did not purchase again even tho I loved the performance

If these had the same durability as my current ball I would happily play them, but my gamer ball can get me through 3 rounds unless I hit trees or cart path
I wouldn't invest too much in the spin numbers (outside of comparing them to each other). Had a weird swing glitch going on that day that was adding a fair bit of spin to any ball I used.

I was never really in on this ball. But the durability is such I think i am even more out.
I had quite a bit of fun trying to give the gold a haircut while subsequently trying to ace the 110 flag haha

I wouldn't invest too much in the spin numbers (outside of comparing them to each other). Had a weird swing glitch going on that day that was adding a fair bit of spin to any ball I used.
Good to know thanks. Im sure ill pick up a dozen and use them for fall golf

After seeing the durability issues and the price at $35/dozen...there are plenty of other options that I'd consider before this one currently

Would be cool to see a higher index player compare these balls and see how things shake out. Maybe the blue provides more distance at lower swing speeds. I think that's where the driver speed and 7-iron comparison comes in.

which are you leaning?
Gold. Based on their website claiming high spin, I think it would be a good comparison to TP5 or B XS I play now.

Black would be my 2nd option

Back