New Arccos Features

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

AltitudeWindTempFilters3screensArccosSD.png

A next-generation Smart Club Distances algorithm, first-of-its-kind weather & location scenarios tool and enhanced putt data tracking.

Developed by Arccos’ leading team of data scientists, architects and engineers, the latest Smart Club Distances machine learning algorithm takes accuracy to a new level by providing a precise estimation of how far a player hits a well-struck shot with each club in their bag. Mishits, abnormally long and recovery shots are now automatically identified and eliminated from the calculations, which help fuel Arccos’ award-winning A.I. caddie club recommendations. Plus, golfers can now filter the total number of shots included by the algorithms at any given time to facilitate analysis of any recent changes in their swing, equipment or other game aspects.

Further extending the value of Smart Club Distances is the weather & location scenarios tool. This graphically intuitive feature allows Arccos members to easily select from a wide range of weather conditions (ex: wind speed, wind direction and temperature variations) and altitudes. It then uses machine learning to assess the impact of these adjustments across the Smart Distance of every club in that player’s bag.

“Along with our hands-free shot tracking system, Smart Club Distances is frequently cited by Arccos members as one of the most powerful aspects of our platform,” said Ryan Johnson, Arccos Vice President of Engineering. “New simulations give players more ways to prepare in any condition as it further removes cognitive bias and shows every member an even clearer picture of their ‘true average’ with each club. That knowledge provides tremendous confidence when they step up to each shot.”

Premiering concurrently are significant enhancements to Arccos functionality on the greens. These include the addition of second and third putt distance tracking for even more accurate putting Stroke Gained analytics, a green grid view toggle and the ability to enable walking path tracking for better post-round identification of pin and putt locations.

“With the ability to collect this new data, my students and Arccos members everywhere are getting a more detailed assessment of their putting strengths and weaknesses,” said Erika Larkin, PGA Professional, Arccos Ambassador and one of America’s most acclaimed golf instructors. “It’s another great step forward when it comes to harnessing the power of data to help golfers practice smarter, make better decisions and shoot lower scores.”

Golf’s first Artificial Intelligence platform, Arccos Caddie automatically tracks your shots while delivering in-round insights and post-round Strokes Gained Analytics. The system includes the world’s first A.I.-powered rangefinder, smart club distances and caddie advice for every golf hole on earth.

Arccos members have recorded an astonishing 8 million rounds and over 475 million shots with the system while playing courses in 194 countries. This feeds the world’s largest on-course dataset, which now includes 31 billion separate data points that are analyzed to help golfers perform their best. In 2020, the average new Arccos member improved their handicap by 5.02 strokes.

The Arccos Caddie system and Arccos Caddie Link are Permitted under the Rules of Golf (USGA Decision Numbers 2018-0414 and 2020-0305).

I really like the new update, for me the best part is being able to actually choose which shots are counted in the smart distances. Too many times I've had some crazy shots included, and then average ones discounted, so this has given me a much more accurate representation. The last couple of updates have not been so great, and caused all sorts of glitches and performance issues, but this one seems good....so far.

I’m fairly new to arccos system very happy with the info provided. Does arccos take into consideration altitude and it’s effect on distances. I play rounds yearly that range from near sea level to a high of 8000 feet elevations.

I mean, that’s very cool. Smart addition to the program/app.

This to me is the equivalent of playing Tecmo Bowl vs the 2021 Madden. While cool, its getting a bit too in depth and complicated for the average user.

I love this, but this just begs a massive question for me. It looks like it's basically negating any driver shot you took a drop on and counting all the fairway shots. So I had two big ol' pop ups into the sky yesterday that only went 183 and 171, but to be fair they were fairly straights, so it counted them. On the other hand, I had a slight push that went 232 but unfortunately found that natural off the fairway and it didn't count it.

I have no idea what to think now haha...i'm going to have this constant debate on what should or shouldn't be counted.

This to me is the equivalent of playing Tecmo Bowl vs the 2021 Madden. While cool, its getting a bit too in depth and complicated for the average user.
I agree 100%. Unfortunately I have been very unhappy with Arccos for a while. I’ve been using it since 2014 and loved it for the first few years because it just worked.

I still use it but mainly to get an idea of distance from the tee when I’m looking for my ball. Putting never missed back in the day. Now, it misses nearly all my putts - even after replacing the sensor.

I know all this fluff was put in to justify the subscription cost. However, if the most basic of functionality cannot be perfected (I.e. not missing shots) the other stuff doesn’t matter. I’m still grandfathered in on the non-fee sensors, but once they die and I have to move to the subscription model, I will more than likely drop arccos unless the missed shots and the missed putts issue gets resolved.

I have been slacking on my arccos this year but this is a very interesting update

I’ve been a user for about 6 years, I’m probably an average golfer. Strokes gained analytics is worthless, AI… whatever means nothing, marketing ploys make me so sleepy. I’m with wubears, I just want the darn thing to work, and give me a summary of my game.

Last edited:
I really like the new update, for me the best part is being able to actually choose which shots are counted in the smart distances. Too many times I've had some crazy shots included, and then average ones discounted, so this has given me a much more accurate representation. The last couple of updates have not been so great, and caused all sorts of glitches and performance issues, but this one seems good....so far.

Yeah, that's a huge thing. 4 iron punch shots really drag down the average. :)

The concept on this is really cool, especially for those who think we hit it farther into vs downwind than we really do

Yeah, that's a huge thing. 4 iron punch shots really drag down the average. :)
Especially when most of them are from under trees trying to get back to the fairway :LOL:

The ability to easily exclude a punch out is huge for me. At first glance, liking the updates.

Not sure if it was part of this release but on our round this past Friday in Austin, @oumagic showed me the putting data change where you can select the distances for each putt at bottom of screen.

97FD0F81-6A6C-41A5-BAC3-AE1334890416.jpeg

Excellent! I think the ability to separate shots, namely recovery shots, can really help the averages. Great to see the continued updates to the algorithms, weather, wind, etc.

@vdubtx - Yours doesn’t have the footprints that shows where you walked.

Talk about a feature I literally have no idea how anyone would ever use?

Apparently on this hole I walked all the way around the outside of the green, forgot something back on the green, and then perished.
765365B9-28A8-4AE7-900F-A2EF5E84A2A4.jpeg

@vdubtx - Yours doesn’t have the footprints that shows where you walked.

Talk about a feature I literally have no idea how anyone would ever use?

Apparently on this hole I walked all the way around the outside of the green, forgot something back on the green, and then perished.
View attachment 9030598
No idea why that is not showing up on mine. Running what appears to be latest version for iOS.

I am not sure how to enable the tracking @V14_Heels
I use the link and don’t carry my phone to the green.

I use the link and have had the walking for a couple of weeks. I just updated yesterday again to get the other updates on Android.

Yea I don't know...I mean you guys can see where I can toggle it off and on. Maybe it has to do with the version of phone you have and if the GPS is a certain type or something? I do not use a link, so my phone is in my pocket which could also be the differentiator.

I use the link and have had the walking for a couple of weeks. I just updated yesterday again to get the other updates on Android.
Not sure how to get it to appear then. I don’t have that toggle on my iPhone.F830BE11-657E-42CE-9B03-99DB7A6D3F65.png

I have data back to Sept 4th. I mean here is a 2 foot tap in that I walked a marathon on the green. Not sure you are missing much.

Screenshot_20210928-094823.jpg

Yea I mean...I can't explain why you don't have it, but again I just am not sure what value this truly has anyway? @echico what is that other little fun button you have with the flag and dots?

I checked app store for an update under my app listing, but it didn't show one available.

I then searched for the app in store and it showed the update.

Back