Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

I just wanted to chime in and say thanks. This thread in particular drove me to the final decision to purchase the di11's. They will be here next week so I will definitely report back with an update once I hit the driving range.

So are you saying the stock grips are Lampkin or did you order yours with Lampkins? They grew on me after a while but they still werent my favorites.

The stock grips on Di11's are Lampkins, but I don't know if they are Crossline or not.

So are you saying the stock grips are Lampkin or did you order yours with Lampkins? They grew on me after a while but they still werent my favorites.

The stock grips are made by lampkin,i had them on my Ci9's.

Sorry aries,i didnt know you had already answered,LOL.

I found them in a Dicks in Illinois

Having them transfered to my store just outside of Philly

Should get to give them a shot next week sometime

I just wanted to chime in and say thanks. This thread in particular drove me to the final decision to purchase the di11's. They will be here next week so I will definitely report back with an update once I hit the driving range.

Wow ..That is so cool. I cant wait for you to get them, and report back (chime in) hehe

Alright, I played my first full round with the Di11's today. I'm still hurting a bit from my neck injury but I toughed it out!

First impression: they're awesome. I'm still getting a much better ball flight with the Di11's than I did with my Di9's. I feel like the gap wedge and the pitching wedge just want to find the flag - they're money! I didn't play my greatest round but I afford that more to still not being 100% physically. The Di11's did just what everyone else has said - they went long and straight.

I was working the ball better with my Di11's a little better than I could with the Di9's. I just felt really comfortable trying to play around with the Di11's because even a slight miss still goes far. They're just really forgiving, provide me with a nice ball flight that is sticking to greens, and are a bit more workable than I expected. What else could I want?

Oh, and they're just very attractive clubs. They look beautiful in the bag and provide me with a lot of confidence while in my hand. I'm not a huge fan of the stock grips but I'll resolve that soon enough.

So far, so good.

Working on a writeup for my round yesterday. Di11's performed flawlessly again. Very hard to not love these irons.

For anyone having a hard time finding them, I've got a set in mint shape (2 rounds, 2 range sessions) I'd sell for $300 + shipping... shoot me a msg. Been working on my swing to try and adjust to the chunkiness of the irons and just think it's doing me more harm than good... back to the CB 710's.

So this is my first round since the outing. I was just banged up after hitting so many balls down there that I needed a little break. Have hit some balls at the range and it was not pretty. Inconsistent contact because I couldn’t find a swing. The course I’m playing has no range so no warmup bucket for me. Hit some putts and off we go to the first tee

1st hole—358—Mashie off the tee on this short Par 4. Don’t hit it very well and pull it a little left. Get up to my ball and I’ve got a little tree trouble straight ahead. I can hook it around no problem though. Take 8I and give it a rip. Lands and stops about 8 feet from the pin. A shaky 2 putt and I walk off with 4

2nd hole—462—Nice drive leaves me with 250 to the flag. I shouldn’t but I pull 3W. It is a bad idea. Goes straight right and into the next fairway. Wide open pitch up to the green but I come up way short. Easy chip also comes up short and my next chip leaves me 10 feet. Another sad attempt at putting gives me a 7

3rd hole—401—The tee shot on this par 4 can be played up to the right as it slants toward the left. Any shot slightly right will come back down into the fairway. Well every shot except my drive which somehow stays up there. 135 left but I have a big tree directly in front of me. I have to keep it low so I take a 7I and punch it. Nice shot but it doesn’t fade like I wanted it to. Easy chip onto the green leaves me with 5 feet. Of course I miss and walk off with 5

4th hole—167—7I leaves me pin high but left. Not a bad miss. An easy chip that I just don’t handle and the ball rolls 10 feet past. Leave this putt short and ram the second one home. 4

5th hole—496—Mashie off the tee is right in the fairway. Second shot with 4I is a weird ballooning fade that I don’t remember ever having hit with these irons. Puts me in a good position though with PW into the green. Hit a nice wedge to 10 feet straight uphill. Leave that one 6 feet short and a comical display of putting and I walk off with 6

6th hole—148-- Playing about 155 today so I take a solid 8I. Feel like I catch it thin but look up and the ball is soaring toward the hole. Lands about 4 feet from the pin. Nasty looking left to right breaker and I jab at it and it goes straight right. 3

7th hole—409—Dogleg left with water left and straight. I take Mashie but I pull it a little left. Thinking I’m in the water but when I get up there I can see my ball in the left rough. Whew! 175 left so I pull 6I. I’m right near a pond so there is quite a few bugs. On my backswing a little gnat flies right into my ear and I chunk the dang shot. 75 yard SW for my 3rd shot and I’m left with 10 feet to save my par. 6 feet later and I still have 4 feet left for bogey. Somehow manage to not leave that one short. 5

8th hole—155—Nice water hole straight and left. Right has a big hill that is a great bailout option as the ball will always roll down off the hill. My shot does not roll down. My sad little chip leaves me 15 feet straight uphill. Nice putt this time and I tap in the 2 footer for 4

9th hole—348—Nice drive leaves me with 85 to the pin. That is a full SW or ¾ GW. I almost always prefer the ¾ shot but this time I pull the SW. I shank the ball straight right and OB. Drop the ball and put my SW about 20 feet from the pin. Nice putt and I tap in the 2nd putt for a 6.

Just wow. I don’t even know what to say at this point. Irons were great so far. They have given me a couple of good chances at birdie and I just can’t putt. Walk off the 9th green with a 44 with 19 putts. If I could putt I could have gone low. Little bathroom break and some rehydration and we are off to 10

10th hole—441—Very short uphill Par 5. My drive is a low screamer that kicks straight left when it lands. Don’t know what happened but it’s now in the 11th fairway. I get to my ball and I have a great look at the green. 4I in hand but I thin it. Low line drive but with roll out I end up right in front of the green. Decent chip leaves me 8 feet for birdie. Putt dies left at the end and I tap in for 5

11th hole—396—Mashie off the tee and I’m right in the middle of the fairway. 180 left but it’s downhill. 7I comes up just short and my chip rolls up to 3 feet. Push my putt right and tap the ball in for a 5. I’m pretty livid right now

12th hole—163—6I leaves me with 25 feet straight uphill. I kill the ball and still end up 2 feet short. Tap that in for 3

13th hole—339—Great drive and I end up with nothing but a pitch shot. Ball rolls up to 8 feet. It’s downhill and looks fast. I know it’s not but it just looks it. It’s not. I’m 3 feet short but I manage to sink that one for 4

14th hole—366—Drive is middle of the fairway. 9I left to the green but I block it out to the right. Easy chip leaves me with 6 feet. Straight downhill and once again it looks fast. Everyone has putted prior to me and it actually is fast this time. Drain the putt for a par save. 4

15th hole—293—Short dogleg left with bunkers in the front. I hit a hook Mashie in the middle of the fairway. SW comes up just short. Earlier on the 10th hole I had told Anthony that you can’t putt from the fringe as it was so thick. I putt from the fringe. I’m not thinking anymore. It comes up 10 feet short. That putt is 3 feet short. I jam the 3 footer into the back of the cup for 5

16th hole—300—Nice drive puts me on the fringe. I chip up to 15 feet. I almost miss the ball on the putt and I leave it 8 feet short. I leave that one 2 feet short and I tap that in for a 5

17th hole—134—Nice 9I leaves me with 12 feet for birdie. 9 feet later I still have 3 feet left. I push the putt right and tap in for 4

18th hole—490—Drive starts out a little right but hits off a tree right into the fairway. 250 left and I pull 3W. Creek in the front and I know I’m not getting over it but I have had a not so fun time so I say what the heck. Ball goes in the creek. I flop up to 10 feet. Putt looks left to right but it never breaks. Tap in for 6.

Well I just don’t know what to say. I’m a bad putter but that was ridiculous. But the putter is for another thread. Since this is an iron review I will just say that I was very happy with the irons today. I think I hit one bad shot with the Di11’s and a little gnat was the problem there. Punch shots, draws, towering straight shots, heck even a fade. Irons performed wonderfully yet again. Just nothing bad to say about them. 85 with 38 putts. 69.2% FIR and 44.4% GIR. Pretty good ball striking day.

In what might be one of your last updates in this thread, it was a good one CL.

In what might be one of your last updates in this thread, it was a good one CL.

+1, if you printed off that last post and held it up beside him, it would be taller.

+1, if you printed off that last post and held it up beside him, it would be taller.

hahaha, you must be THIS tall to test Di11 irons.

Went to the range today to work some things out, and the Di11's are back baby! The long high ball flight that I have grown to love was back with every iron in the bag. While at the range a gentleman came up to me to talk about the irons I was hitting and said he was in the market for new irons and he liked the look of these. After a 15 minute conversation he was sold and I'm pretty sure was on his way to Golftown to buy them right there. Love spreading the Di11 love.

Uhm he said good not tall!! I've really enjoyed testing these with all you guys. The Nike's will have to be mighty in order to kick these irons out

Uhm he said good not tall!! I've really enjoyed testing these with all you guys. The Nike's will have to be mighty in order to kick these irons out

You did a great job man, I think everyone did in this thread. Im very curious to see how the Nikes stack up myself.

Yeah I have to agree. Don't like tooting my own horn lol but we all did well. Heck they made an email out of us!!

This thread was definitely a model of success when it comes to forum testing. It helped that you all really liked the irons, but you all were honest about their shortcomings as well. Great job guys. This is definitely a must-try set of irons for 2011.

I finally got the chance to hit these today and it was very positive overall. I went with the intention of hitting a bucket or two and then taking the shorter irons out on the par three course. unfortunately, the par three was closed so I just hit balls, something I don't like doing for too long because I tend to overthink my swing which is never good.

I started with the gap wedge and worked down to the 4 iron and then mixed it up. From gap to 6 everything went very well-high, long and easy. I hit it quite long and high anyway, but certainly noticed that the ball "fizzed" off the face on well struck shots, which I found nice.

when I got to the 5, for some reason I couldn't hit it well at all. I moved on to the 4 expecting it to be difficult as well, but it was very comfortable with a nice high ball flight.

Unfortunately at this point I started hitting it less well. As mentioned, it really was a case of overthinking my swing, because when I relaxed and just starting hitting it again, things came back together.

I then hit a series of 4 irons off a tee and it really was a joy-high, far and straight. I also hit a few more with the 5 and it went well enough.

At this point I made the error that messed up the rest of the session. After all the talk of the importance of a smooth swing with these, I thought I'd see what happened when I went after it a bit. The result was a hook, but nothing disastrous. Unfortunately, I just couldn't slow my swing down again, so I kept pulling/hooking/drwing everything for 4 to gap!

However, overall as I said, I hit a lot of good shots with these. I found them to be very forgiving. A couple I hit right off the toe still flew well. Perhaps more surprising were a few really fat shots which turned out pretty well. In fact, for one or two of them I was checking that I hadn't ripped a hole in the mat and the shot still went a fair way.

So I'm pretty happy with the di11s after today. I think a few lessons to get my swing more consistent would make them even better! I'm looking forward to hitting them out on the course.

Nick

Glad you are liking them Fern. The longer shaft length does take a bit of getting used to but after a few times on the range or course you completely forget about it.

This thread was definitely a model of success when it comes to forum testing. It helped that you all really liked the irons, but you all were honest about their shortcomings as well. Great job guys. This is definitely a must-try set of irons for 2011.

I agree 100%, and I think it can only help in getting future opportunities to test other products for W/S as well as other OEM's. Great job to all of the testers!

I just purchased my set of irons this past monday and had a slow start.

Shot 42 on the front with no GIRs and a 38 on the back with 5 GIRs. One green in regulation came from a 200 yard 4 iron. I was really happy with an opening round of 80 .

I am not seeing the distance gains from the shorter irons, but from 6-4.. am seeing about 5 yards. I have determined the GW useless in my bag since I already carry my 48* 120 yards. I think if I pick up a 50* wedge, I would have all my gaps covered.

Feel is pretty sweet and these irons just want to go straight. I have no problems with the high flight that I have read here and I am really liking the bullet trajectory of my 4 and 5 irons.

I am using the Uni-Flex shaft and like the stiff tip. I also think the minimum offset look (fat shaft makes it look less) is awesome.

Thanks guys for the reviews!

Shot 42 on the front with no GIRs and a 38 on the back with 5 GIRs. One green in regulation came from a 200 yard 4 iron. I was really happy with an opening round of 80 .

I am not seeing the distance gains from the shorter irons, but from 6-4.. am seeing about 5 yards. I have determined the GW useless in my bag since I already carry my 48* 120 yards. I think if I pick up a 50* wedge, I would have all my gaps covered.

Feel is pretty sweet and these irons just want to go straight. I have no problems with the high flight that I have read here and I am really liking the bullet trajectory of my 4 and 5 irons.

I am using the Uni-Flex shaft and like the stiff tip. I also think the minimum offset look (fat shaft makes it look less) is awesome.

Great stuff man, an 80 your first time out with the irons is pretty good. Looking forward to more of your updates.

Wow great start! Thanks for sharing

Back