Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

So this is my first round since the outing. I was just banged up after hitting so many balls down there that I needed a little break. Have hit some balls at the range and it was not pretty. Inconsistent contact because I couldn’t find a swing. The course I’m playing has no range so no warmup bucket for me. Hit some putts and off we go to the first tee

1st hole—358—Mashie off the tee on this short Par 4. Don’t hit it very well and pull it a little left. Get up to my ball and I’ve got a little tree trouble straight ahead. I can hook it around no problem though. Take 8I and give it a rip. Lands and stops about 8 feet from the pin. A shaky 2 putt and I walk off with 4

2nd hole—462—Nice drive leaves me with 250 to the flag. I shouldn’t but I pull 3W. It is a bad idea. Goes straight right and into the next fairway. Wide open pitch up to the green but I come up way short. Easy chip also comes up short and my next chip leaves me 10 feet. Another sad attempt at putting gives me a 7

3rd hole—401—The tee shot on this par 4 can be played up to the right as it slants toward the left. Any shot slightly right will come back down into the fairway. Well every shot except my drive which somehow stays up there. 135 left but I have a big tree directly in front of me. I have to keep it low so I take a 7I and punch it. Nice shot but it doesn’t fade like I wanted it to. Easy chip onto the green leaves me with 5 feet. Of course I miss and walk off with 5

4th hole—167—7I leaves me pin high but left. Not a bad miss. An easy chip that I just don’t handle and the ball rolls 10 feet past. Leave this putt short and ram the second one home. 4

5th hole—496—Mashie off the tee is right in the fairway. Second shot with 4I is a weird ballooning fade that I don’t remember ever having hit with these irons. Puts me in a good position though with PW into the green. Hit a nice wedge to 10 feet straight uphill. Leave that one 6 feet short and a comical display of putting and I walk off with 6

6th hole—148-- Playing about 155 today so I take a solid 8I. Feel like I catch it thin but look up and the ball is soaring toward the hole. Lands about 4 feet from the pin. Nasty looking left to right breaker and I jab at it and it goes straight right. 3

7th hole—409—Dogleg left with water left and straight. I take Mashie but I pull it a little left. Thinking I’m in the water but when I get up there I can see my ball in the left rough. Whew! 175 left so I pull 6I. I’m right near a pond so there is quite a few bugs. On my backswing a little gnat flies right into my ear and I chunk the dang shot. 75 yard SW for my 3rd shot and I’m left with 10 feet to save my par. 6 feet later and I still have 4 feet left for bogey. Somehow manage to not leave that one short. 5

8th hole—155—Nice water hole straight and left. Right has a big hill that is a great bailout option as the ball will always roll down off the hill. My shot does not roll down. My sad little chip leaves me 15 feet straight uphill. Nice putt this time and I tap in the 2 footer for 4

9th hole—348—Nice drive leaves me with 85 to the pin. That is a full SW or ¾ GW. I almost always prefer the ¾ shot but this time I pull the SW. I shank the ball straight right and OB. Drop the ball and put my SW about 20 feet from the pin. Nice putt and I tap in the 2nd putt for a 6.

Just wow. I don’t even know what to say at this point. Irons were great so far. They have given me a couple of good chances at birdie and I just can’t putt. Walk off the 9th green with a 44 with 19 putts. If I could putt I could have gone low. Little bathroom break and some rehydration and we are off to 10

10th hole—441—Very short uphill Par 5. My drive is a low screamer that kicks straight left when it lands. Don’t know what happened but it’s now in the 11th fairway. I get to my ball and I have a great look at the green. 4I in hand but I thin it. Low line drive but with roll out I end up right in front of the green. Decent chip leaves me 8 feet for birdie. Putt dies left at the end and I tap in for 5

11th hole—396—Mashie off the tee and I’m right in the middle of the fairway. 180 left but it’s downhill. 7I comes up just short and my chip rolls up to 3 feet. Push my putt right and tap the ball in for a 5. I’m pretty livid right now

12th hole—163—6I leaves me with 25 feet straight uphill. I kill the ball and still end up 2 feet short. Tap that in for 3

13th hole—339—Great drive and I end up with nothing but a pitch shot. Ball rolls up to 8 feet. It’s downhill and looks fast. I know it’s not but it just looks it. It’s not. I’m 3 feet short but I manage to sink that one for 4

14th hole—366—Drive is middle of the fairway. 9I left to the green but I block it out to the right. Easy chip leaves me with 6 feet. Straight downhill and once again it looks fast. Everyone has putted prior to me and it actually is fast this time. Drain the putt for a par save. 4

15th hole—293—Short dogleg left with bunkers in the front. I hit a hook Mashie in the middle of the fairway. SW comes up just short. Earlier on the 10th hole I had told Anthony that you can’t putt from the fringe as it was so thick. I putt from the fringe. I’m not thinking anymore. It comes up 10 feet short. That putt is 3 feet short. I jam the 3 footer into the back of the cup for 5

16th hole—300—Nice drive puts me on the fringe. I chip up to 15 feet. I almost miss the ball on the putt and I leave it 8 feet short. I leave that one 2 feet short and I tap that in for a 5

17th hole—134—Nice 9I leaves me with 12 feet for birdie. 9 feet later I still have 3 feet left. I push the putt right and tap in for 4

18th hole—490—Drive starts out a little right but hits off a tree right into the fairway. 250 left and I pull 3W. Creek in the front and I know I’m not getting over it but I have had a not so fun time so I say what the heck. Ball goes in the creek. I flop up to 10 feet. Putt looks left to right but it never breaks. Tap in for 6.

Well I just don’t know what to say. I’m a bad putter but that was ridiculous. But the putter is for another thread. Since this is an iron review I will just say that I was very happy with the irons today. I think I hit one bad shot with the Di11’s and a little gnat was the problem there. Punch shots, draws, towering straight shots, heck even a fade. Irons performed wonderfully yet again. Just nothing bad to say about them. 85 with 38 putts. 69.2% FIR and 44.4% GIR. Pretty good ball striking day.

awesome writeup sounds like these irons are solid, if u have to clear a space for the Nike's just let me know lol

The UPS man dropped my clubs off two days and I finally got to take them out today. Man these things are awesome! I didn't have any time to take them to the range and practice I just took them straight out on the course. It seems like the balls just jumps off these things. Night and day difference from the basic box set I had been playing for years. If anybody is thinking about adding these clubs to their list I'd highly recommend testing these out.

The UPS man dropped my clubs off two days and I finally got to take them out today. Man these things are awesome! I didn't have any time to take them to the range and practice I just took them straight out on the course. It seems like the balls just jumps off these things. Night and day difference from the basic box set I had been playing for years. If anybody is thinking about adding these clubs to their list I'd highly recommend testing these out.

Great stuff man, glad you are liking them so much. The more you play with them, the more you like them.

I have to say that these probably would have ended up in my bag if I hadn't been testing other irons. They are right up there performance wise, but I really love the sleek looks. That's what sets these apart from some of the others for me.

I have to say that these probably would have ended up in my bag if I hadn't been testing other irons. They are right up there performance wise, but I really love the sleek looks. That's what sets these apart from some of the others for me.

By far the sexiest set of GI Irons out there. Especially the half/half shafts

Wiping the dust off the the Di's for tomorrows round , i have a good feeling about tomorrow , i was hitting the new driver with a cute little draw today if i can keep it in the short stuff could be a magical day! We will see

Peeved we couldn't get together buddy. Did you play while down there?

Alright, so I feel like yesterday I was really able to give the Di11's true justice. I played nine holes yesterday after work and, for the first time in a few weeks, did not feel bothered by my neck. It's funny how a small tweak in your neck can completely throw off your swing. Well, it was a different story today.

The irons were amazing! I was driving the ball fairly well but I can truly say that I did not have a single bad iron shot. I put one in the water but, well, that was my fault - not the irons! I ended up shooting a 40, a score that I'll take every time. I started off with six straight bogeys and then finished off with three straight pars.

First Hole: I was left with a 7-iron in to the first hole. Hit it dead where I wanted and it went about 160, just right of the green. Chipped on, two putted. Carded a five.

Second Hole: I pulled an 8-iron on the second hole, a par-4, from 145 yards. Again, it went dead where I aimed but that just happened to be a bunker. Made it out and two putted. Another five.

Third hole: A 170 yard par-3, over a little water, and I stuck a 7-iron on the back of the green. Hit an awful putt that trickled down a hill and ended up three putting. A four.

Fourth Hole: A long par-4, playing uphill all the way to hole. Hit a good drive. Pulled a 6-iron from 175 and hit it flush, sending it just right of the green...in a bunker! Safely out, two-putted. Another five. A lot of bogey golf early on but it was my fault - the irons were going right where I told them.

Fifth Hole: Another long par-4. Hit a great drive but it was just behind a tree. Cut a hybrid around the tree and got a bit lucky as it kicked into the fairway. I was left with a gap wedge into the green. Stuck it but I missed the 12 footer for par. Another five.

Sixth Hole: Alright, this hole made me really fall in love with the Di11's. You can't hit a driver off of the tee. I usually hit a five-wood or would hit my old 4-hybrid. The green is tucked up in the left corner, surrounded by rocks and water. It's a cool hole. So, I pull my four iron out off of the tee. Alright, a nice smooth four iron would put me in the fairway. So, I absolutely crush this four iron, a very nice, smooth shot - it ends up going 195, middle of the fairway. Of course, I find a way to flub it up from there. I pull my gap wedge out and, again, hit it right where I want it. Unfortunately, it came up JUST short and rolled back into the water. A bad break. I still ended up chipping a foot from the hole and salvaged a five.

Seventh Hole: So, I'm feeling a rhythm with the irons at this point. We have a 165 yard par-3, entirely over water. I pull a 7-iron and crush it, actually putting it past the hole but still in the green. Just felt so easy swinging these irons. They were going long and straight no matter what I did. Missed the downhill putt for birdie but finally carded a PAR!

Eighth Hole: The only par-5 on the front. I hit a good drive, right where I want it. I hit a 5-iron about 180 yards to leave me a little gap wedge in from the fairway. Hit the gap wedge perfectly and I'm on in three. Miss the birdie putt but tap in for par.

Ninth Hole: A pretty short par-4. I hit a good drive, at least I thought I did, but I ended up being behind a tree. I had enough room to punch out of there with a 5-iron and did so successfully, leaving me about 20 yards in front of the green. ALMOST drain the little bump-and-run from there and tap in for my third straight par.

---

So, the Di11's were a smashing success. I'm pretty sure if I tried to pick up my ball and throw it sideways a Di11 would come out of nowhere and knock it long and straight.

"I'm pretty sure if I tried to pick up my ball and throw it sideways a Di11 would come out of nowhere and knock it long and straight. "

Love it, love hearing about these Irons working for folks

The di's and i played 18 this morning had alittle rain last night course was in great condition , greens were like glass just the way i likem, shot a 79 could of been better left a couple of putts out there. We wll get it all together one of these days , Di's are still holding up just love them

The di's and i played 18 this morning had alittle rain last night course was in great condition , greens were like glass just the way i likem, shot a 79 could of been better left a couple of putts out there. We wll get it all together one of these days , Di's are still holding up just love them

Holy crap Ogie...I didn't know you had that much game bro. You will wax me, but I still want you to get down to the outing!

Alright, so I feel like yesterday I was really able to give the Di11's true justice. I played nine holes yesterday after work and, for the first time in a few weeks, did not feel bothered by my neck. It's funny how a small tweak in your neck can completely throw off your swing. Well, it was a different story today.

The irons were amazing! I was driving the ball fairly well but I can truly say that I did not have a single bad iron shot. I put one in the water but, well, that was my fault - not the irons! I ended up shooting a 40, a score that I'll take every time. I started off with six straight bogeys and then finished off with three straight pars.

First Hole: I was left with a 7-iron in to the first hole. Hit it dead where I wanted and it went about 160, just right of the green. Chipped on, two putted. Carded a five.

Second Hole: I pulled an 8-iron on the second hole, a par-4, from 145 yards. Again, it went dead where I aimed but that just happened to be a bunker. Made it out and two putted. Another five.

Third hole: A 170 yard par-3, over a little water, and I stuck a 7-iron on the back of the green. Hit an awful putt that trickled down a hill and ended up three putting. A four.

Fourth Hole: A long par-4, playing uphill all the way to hole. Hit a good drive. Pulled a 6-iron from 175 and hit it flush, sending it just right of the green...in a bunker! Safely out, two-putted. Another five. A lot of bogey golf early on but it was my fault - the irons were going right where I told them.

Fifth Hole: Another long par-4. Hit a great drive but it was just behind a tree. Cut a hybrid around the tree and got a bit lucky as it kicked into the fairway. I was left with a gap wedge into the green. Stuck it but I missed the 12 footer for par. Another five.

Sixth Hole: Alright, this hole made me really fall in love with the Di11's. You can't hit a driver off of the tee. I usually hit a five-wood or would hit my old 4-hybrid. The green is tucked up in the left corner, surrounded by rocks and water. It's a cool hole. So, I pull my four iron out off of the tee. Alright, a nice smooth four iron would put me in the fairway. So, I absolutely crush this four iron, a very nice, smooth shot - it ends up going 195, middle of the fairway. Of course, I find a way to flub it up from there. I pull my gap wedge out and, again, hit it right where I want it. Unfortunately, it came up JUST short and rolled back into the water. A bad break. I still ended up chipping a foot from the hole and salvaged a five.

Seventh Hole: So, I'm feeling a rhythm with the irons at this point. We have a 165 yard par-3, entirely over water. I pull a 7-iron and crush it, actually putting it past the hole but still in the green. Just felt so easy swinging these irons. They were going long and straight no matter what I did. Missed the downhill putt for birdie but finally carded a PAR!

Eighth Hole: The only par-5 on the front. I hit a good drive, right where I want it. I hit a 5-iron about 180 yards to leave me a little gap wedge in from the fairway. Hit the gap wedge perfectly and I'm on in three. Miss the birdie putt but tap in for par.

Ninth Hole: A pretty short par-4. I hit a good drive, at least I thought I did, but I ended up being behind a tree. I had enough room to punch out of there with a 5-iron and did so successfully, leaving me about 20 yards in front of the green. ALMOST drain the little bump-and-run from there and tap in for my third straight par.

---

So, the Di11's were a smashing success. I'm pretty sure if I tried to pick up my ball and throw it sideways a Di11 would come out of nowhere and knock it long and straight.

great writeup sounds like you got your hands on the right clubs!

Holy crap Ogie...I didn't know you had that much game bro. You will wax me, but I still want you to get down to the outing!

I try to play 54 holes a week if weather lets me , Ive been playing alot , I'm very streaky could be in the high 80's next week who knows i hope not

---

Glad to be of service! Real glad they're working for you! I have found the feel and results I'm looking for in the '09 Burners as a result of your acquiring the Di11's. I want to thank you also for, hopefully, helping me end my search. :egyptian:

:drinks:

For those who didn't much care for the stock Lamkin grips, I now understand your view point. I was at the range today for a few hours; 5:30-8:30 PM. OMG! The humidity. 90° with almost 100% humidity. Just standing behind the ball and lining up shots, my hands and arms would just become drenched with sweat. 5 or 6 swings and I was sweating through the gloves. It was annoying toweling down; arms, hands, grip; that frequently, but the grips held up well (no clubs slipped out of my hands and flew down range).

Even with the heat, it was actually one of my best ball striking days. Because it seems as if I had sweaty palm syndrome for the day, I wasn't gripping the clubs with as much pressure as usual. I was able to get through the hitting zone and release much better. I didn't pull out the rangefinder to get an accurate measure, but guesstimate around 20 yards more distance. At the range there is a flag 112 yards. With GW, I usually land between the flag and the front edge of the green. Today, I was flying the green. I'm really loving these babies!

Had another really great day with the Di11's. Between the Boccieri and these guys, I'm not sure if I'll ever hit a shot that doesn't go straight.

SFCoach - In signature, I see you have TW9 56°. Is Gunmetal the satin color or the black anti-glare? If black, how does the finish hold up? I want 50° & 60° to round out set, but so far I've only found 60° in black. Thanks.

Sorry, for hijacking thread.

Aries, the gunmetal wedge is black. The finish has worn off a bit but the face of the club is still in great shape. I use it a tremendous amount and have no complaints with its durability. Love that club.

Thought today was the day , then a swift kick in the #$@ pared 13 out of the first 14 , bogey on 15 double on 16 par on 17 and 18. for a 76 really solid tee to green couple of three putts and puff its all gone

Discovered something very interesting today, I've been losing a lot of my shots right recently and I've been wondering what I've been doing, the swings feel really good but the ball just starts off straight right. Today I did a lie angle fitting and found out that due to swing changes, I should be playing with clubs 1* flat, my Di11's are 2* up! Theres my problem, I'm still flushing the ball with these irons but now the lie angles are all off.

Last edited:
I'm loving all the feedback guys.

I had a really good day with the irons, shot a 92 but more of that can be attributed to my putting and short game, for example I was either on the green or just off on all the par 3's and I didn't par a single one. My money club is the 6 iron, every time I grab I know it's going to be dead straight or a slight fade if I don't put everything into it. When I ended up in a wasteland hazard, that runs parallel to the fairway on 11 I hit a nice low shot with my 5 iron that took low to the ground for 130 yards and had another 40 of roll in it and ended up just off the green. It is just a great feeling when you set up for an iron shot and you just know that you can execute whatever shot you want.

I have also thrown on some white Black Widow Fusion II grips, and they are the best grip I have ever used on my irons. They have a nice soft feel, but you just know they are not going to be slipping. Once I get a good camera I will take some pics and throw them up.

Discovered something very interesting today, I've been losing a lot of my shots right recently and I've been wondering what I've been doing, the swings feel really good but the ball just starts off straight right. Today I did a lie angle fitting and found out that due to swing changes, I should be playing with clubs 1* flat, my Di11's are 2* up! Theres my problem, I'm still flushing the ball with these irons but now the lie angles are all off.

thats great that you found out what the issue is, get em fixed and you will be a birdie machine!

Back