Chunkylover77

Proud JakeNation Member
Reaction score
Handicap
So I am going to replace my wedges very soon and I had some fitting questions. I am going to get the VR Pro's in 52/58 combo. Recently I have been wondering about shaft lengths in wedges. I sometimes can get chunky, especially with my LW. How do you guys determine the shaft lengths in your wedges? I have been thinking about keeping the shafts the same length and just make the loft the determining factor in how far they fly. Does anyone else do this? Give me some pointers please! Thanks

So I am going to replace my wedges very soon and I had some fitting questions. I am going to get the VR Pro's in 52/58 combo. Recently I have been wondering about shaft lengths in wedges. I sometimes can get chunky, especially with my LW. How do you guys determine the shaft lengths in your wedges? I have been thinking about keeping the shafts the same length and just make the loft the determining factor in how far they fly. Does anyone else do this? Give me some pointers please! Thanks

Listen to the most recent radio program that can be found on the home page. Golftec talks about proper fitting and filling gaps. I refer you to this because of the fathers day deal they are running. You can go get an analysis of your clubs which will help determine the lengths you will need.
Chucky shots aren't really going to be caused by shaft length. Unless you clubs are extra long and you are extra short. That is usually a result of early release or a change in your plane. Listen to the show, it will help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found that bounce plays a huge factor in hitting my wedges well for different surfaces and types of shots. I guess we need some more info. What wedges are you playing now? What type of shots are you using each wedge for? What loft/bounce are you currently playing?

I agree about bounce being a big factor, for the tour guys that can change wedges depending on course conditions it's not a big deal, but for most of us you have to decide what's best for you.

Here in south Texas we have a lot of "thin or hardpan" lies around the greens, so my lob wedge has very little bounce so I can still get the leaching edge under the ball, if I had too much bounce I would "blade or skull" a lot of shots.

If you are hitting a lot of wedges "fat or chunky" you may not have enough bounce causing the leading edge to dig in too much.

Just my opinion, I'm not a PGA professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night;-)

I like my wedges to all be the same length which is 35.5 inches for me, 46, 50, 54 & 58 degree.

CL, what made you decide 52 58? I am pondering 54 58 in the CG16s is why I ask. As to shaft length I like shorter shafts as it gives me versatility. I don't think half an inch either way will make a difference to me.

Chunky, I've always had my irons over standard length, but always played my wedges at standard length. I don't know why that is for certain but it seems to work for me. I also put very little stock in bounce to be honest. A lot of that may have to do with being left handed, but I'm much more concerned about my lofts than anything else.

I believe the theory behind bounce is that if you're a sweeper you should get less bounce to prevent skulling the ball and if you're a digger you should get more bounce to making your fat shots less chunky...

Don't know if that will help you or not...

Chunky you might what to consider DG Shafts. I just installed in my Cg15's and the results have been fantastic..

Have you ever been fitted for irons that are different than the standard length? That could be a gauge for you on whether you need to alter the lengths of the shafts on your wedges. If you fit into standard length irons, I'd stay with standard length wedge shafts and just alter distances based on the loft of the club as well as opening or closing the face of the wedge.

Alright! Thanks for the responses everyone. I have been fit for irons quite a few times to be honest. I know my specs. I have just been thinking lately that maybe I will go with a standard shaft length for my SW(52) and LW(58). What I mean by that is instead of going 34.5"(SW) & 34"(LW), I will just go with 34.5" for both of them. Not sure if anyone here has done that. And Ary I will be getting DG Spinners in the Nike's as I've heard they are fantastic especially on 1/2 & 3/4 shots which is all I take with my wedges.

CL, what made you decide 52 58? I am pondering 54 58 in the CG16s is why I ask. As to shaft length I like shorter shafts as it gives me versatility. I don't think half an inch either way will make a difference to me.

52/58 is a good gap from a 46* PW(normal) or in my case a 46* GW for the Di11's. Gives me a consistent gap. I don't think I need to go say 50/54/58 as I am pretty good with 1/2 & 3/4 shots.

Chunky, I've always had my irons over standard length, but always played my wedges at standard length. I don't know why that is for certain but it seems to work for me. I also put very little stock in bounce to be honest. A lot of that may have to do with being left handed, but I'm much more concerned about my lofts than anything else.

I do the same thing, but my wedge swing is a little bit different than my iron swings.. I play (or at least try to play) a knock down with my wedges, which sit at standard loft and lie.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the spinners work for you CL. I have the s400 standard shaft in mine and have been pretty happy.

I'm really excited to try out the Spinners. I don't really get much spin with my wedges so I want to see how this works out

52/58 is a good gap from a 46* PW(normal) or in my case a 46* GW for the Di11's. Gives me a consistent gap. I don't think I need to go say 50/54/58 as I am pretty good with 1/2 & 3/4 shots.

Copy. Makes sense. My GW is 49 so 54 58 plus a Niblick(s) is where I may wind up.

I have never played the DG Spinners, but I did just put a new Vokey 60* in play with the KBS Hi Rev shaft and so far loving it! For my wedges I play them at 1" over 2* up just like my irons.

Back